Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Salute to Service Members 5K and 10K (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Held on Jan 23, 2016, this was my 5th race of 2016. Race location was in Selma TX at Bluebonnet Palace, a very popular local dance/music hall in the San Antonio area. This race supported Operation Comfort.

photo 072_zpsqxlxg5zu.jpg

photo 073_zps8o69masw.jpg

Weather was pretty chilly early in the a.m. for we South Texans – in the 30s for the early morning, but by the 9 a.m. start time it was very sunny and about 41 degrees. About 300 or so participants, including wheelchair and disable vet participants, who are always inspiring to see. I did the 5K and ended up with a finish time of 31:30, finishing 9th in my age group, which was an odd age group of 56 – 69 years old. All the age groups were odd like that. The RD got quite a bit of feedback from runners about that, so next year for this event it will probably be 5-year or 10-year age groups.

BEFORE THE START

Had already picked up my packet and race bib a couple of days before the race, so when I arrived on site, I immediately started wandering around and getting various pre-start photos.

photo 001_zpsfiasrjt1.jpg

photo 002_zpssetibgan.jpg

Grumpy Old Men - me and friend Bob

photo 003_zpsc4jzpehf.jpg

photo 004_zpsvqnadtgz.jpg

Service dog and its humans.  I got permission to give it a treat...and that doggie loved me after that.

photo 005_zps8dgmao9t.jpg

Registration/Race Day volunteers.  I got there a little before 8 a.m. and thought I was cold;  these folks had to be there at 5 a.m. when it was dark and the temp was around 32 with a feels like of 28 - 30.  BRRRR!

photo 006_zps6hmgy1m0.jpg

photo 007_zpssxenwvo7.jpg

photo 008_zpskqrzt15g.jpg

photo 009_zpsh5q01mng.jpg

photo 010_zpsraoaxk88.jpg

photo 030_zpswkocchok.jpg

Athlete Guild did the timing and race results and course set up...and this was our race announcer

photo 015_zpsmfdmlkp0.jpg

..and more folks....

photo 011_zps9ztsfhjt.jpg

photo 013_zpsqa9llwsa.jpg

photo 014_zpsl2gqhtpb.jpg

photo 016_zpsuyn1rt2v.jpg

Another service dog who appreciated a treat

photo 017_zpsgq7w7cht.jpg

photo 018_zpslcdas9xl.jpg

photo 019_zpsbhr0ektt.jpg

photo 020_zps6uklvrmq.jpg

photo 021_zpszcgkoywp.jpg

photo 022_zpsewgxud58.jpg

photo 023_zpsf33amftw.jpg

photo 025_zpsupwq6mgi.jpg

These nice folks and sponsors were giving out free long-sleeved and short-sleeved tech tees to everyone while supplies lasted.  Pretty nice shirts too!

photo 026_zpswma8bcp4.jpg

photo 027_zpsjgpqlaem.jpg

Two of the law enforcement folks who were out there for us.  Thanks!

photo 028_zpskfrse1gp.jpg

These folks are wearing the red tech-tees that participants got in their goody bags.  Nice shirts too.

photo 029_zpsrbj01yzq.jpg

Me and bud John Purnell...another member of our "Grumpy Old Vets" club... 

photo 032_zpsanxkk8eo.jpg

photo 033_zpsaimlojxi.jpg

photo 034_zpsr5z7lvvh.jpg

At the start line...

photo 035_zps2mddmahq.jpg

photo 036_zpsxwbux7u9.jpg

Old Glory leading us all off...

photo 037_zpse51itqwy.jpg

National Anthem

photo 012_zpsxpzbnn1e.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Course for the 5K was an out-and-back, one time. The 10K folks did the course twice. Start from Bluebonnet Palace, heading out on wide roads (nice) towards an industrial complex in the distance – which is the area where our local HUGE Amazon.com processing center/warehouse is located. We made a loop through this area, then back to the finish line on the road we first came out on.

photo 038_zpss54dme3g.jpg

I chased that kid on the cart for practically the whole course..I finally caught up to him just before the finish line...and he beat me in, lol.  He was getting his exercise too, going up some of those course inclines.

photo 039_zpswuehexyp.jpg

photo 040_zpskdgrlkhl.jpg

photo 041_zpsg2i983a8.jpg

photo 042_zpslfnudcvl.jpg

Whoa truck! Runners going up a course incline!  The driver did wait very patiently.

photo 043_zpsw2khmzl4.jpg

My friend, Chris.  I'd stop to take photos and she'd pass me and I'd have to catch up to her again.  It took longer after each stop (2 photo stops along the way for me), she is coming back from an injury and is getting her speed back.  Soon it will be back to normal and she will be her usual speedy self and I'll never see her on the course after that, only before I finish and after I finish.

photo 044_zpsrsqtmruj.jpg

photo 045_zpsf7lnxmlz.jpg

photo 046_zpsurrxnsnh.jpg

photo 047_zpstaj7junq.jpg

photo 049_zpsvxcj1wtp.jpg

2-mile marker at the end of this road.  After this photo, I ran non-stop back to the finish.

photo 048_zpsk7jz7b7p.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Post-race goodies included sausage wraps, sodas, and water, and all kinds of nice goodies from H-E-B, a huge Fortune 500 groceries-and-more company (over $1B in annual sales) that is headquartered in San Antonio. There were crackers, chips, all kinds of fruit and nature bars, sodas, water, banana, tangerines, etc. Basically, you just wandered around the H-E-B area filling up your goody bag; nice! I got some photos of the ‘Happy Finishers”, supporters, volunteers, etc. Started at the finish line after I finished, and worked my way in to where all the goodies were.

Near the finish line after I finished.

photo 050_zps525p8dnd.jpg

photo 052_zpsminxnn3g.jpg

Me and Chris, who came in just about right behind me.

photo 051_zpsvbw3sy2a.jpg

photo 053_zpsqwmd8mhk.jpg

photo 054_zpsg6j8pbht.jpg

Up at the 'after-party' pavilion

photo 055_zpshsqs7vwr.jpg

photo 056_zpsrgsb1rxy.jpg

photo 057_zpsbyztocom.jpg

Beautiful service dog and his human.  Yes, he did get a treat too.

photo 058_zps5anhh2so.jpg

photo 063_zpsbe6c4pse.jpg

photo 064_zpsydxbas4w.jpg

photo 065_zpsxjwofitj.jpg

photo 068_zpstybciodj.jpg

photo 070_zpstk9o8ifp.jpg

Chris and hubby Bill.  Now, Bill, I never did see on the course, that speedy old dog, lol.

photo 074_zpsaec5s2zt.jpg

Two "old school" Army vets I had a very nice chat with.

photo 075_zpsyxunrrtz.jpg

Our sausage wrap fixers.  Thanks!

photo 060_zpsm181wdzh.jpg

Buddy, the mascot of H-E-B

photo 062_zpsgzzny7f4.jpg

Yay Team RWB (Red White Blue)!

photo 061_zpsabenwnh1.jpg

photo 059_zpsml2lebq7.jpg

photo 066_zpsik2pavrb.jpg

photo 067_zpslblfmjpj.jpg

Buddy with some Veterans

photo 069_zpsaab4zzve.jpg

photo 071_zpsoddwuypd.jpg

Medals for the event, appropriately enough, were dog tags

photo 076_zps6wlihb74.jpg

photo 077_zps1k3xqglr.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nice event! As retired military, I’ve done this one several times in the past and it has never failed yet to please me. Even this year, with those kinda weird age groups for awards, it was still a darn good event. Definitely will continue to do this one and certainly would recommend it to my fellow runners, walkers, veterans.   Mucho thanks to all the sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, Operation Comfort, etc.; everyone out there who made this one all happen for we participants.

Next up for me: Snowball 5K at Morgan’s Wonderland on Jan 30 and Dystonia 5K at OP Schnabel Park on Jan 31.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like fun and a nice open course. Definitely unusual age grouping.  Did they think there would be no older runners?