Beginners and Beyond

Does finding a new running route get you excited? (Read 111 times)

From the Internet.

The thought of *any* running route gets me excited at the moment - I finally went out to one of my old routes on Saturday after spending 4+ months on the track exclusively and it was amazing. Shade! Trees! Animals! Cars, even! I can't wait until my dumb legs get their shit together and I can think about tackling HILLS and the like again!

helps the boredom for sure..

sheepla

I'm addicted to planning new routes on mapmyrun.com all over town.  It's one of my favorite hobbies.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My weekday runs have very little variation, as they must be completed before 6:45am, therefore out of necessity they need to start and end at my door. But I do get really excited when I get to try new things and places on weekends sometimes when I have more time to play with and can drive or take the subway somewhere to do it, or when I am out of town.I discovered a trail within walking distance of my boyfriend's house one weekend not long ago and was giddy about it for like a week. I second (third? fourth?) the love of a Garmin for this reason.... I know how many miles I need and I can feel free to run where I please without worrying about following a pre-planned route.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I am a cheap SOB and will use Google Earth to explore new running routes for free.

Buelligan

I like new routes, but I love the riverwalk I currently run more than any route I've ever had.  I only have two variations mapped out on it and I've stuck with them for the last 4 years.  I haven't run anywhere else but there and I'm not bored at all.  It's only a 5 minute walk to the riverwalk from my house too, so it's really convenient.

A 5k I'm going to run next month will be on the riverwalk... I could literally run to the start of the race as a warm up!  How cool is that?

Just B.S.

I have lived here my entire 51 years and cycled for 20 and run for 14. Its not a big city so i know every street and trail that exists here. I do feel lucky that I live semi rural yet very close to a city. Best if both worlds. But route wise  No surprises for me. Maybe that's why I love our race vacations so much . New routes to explore.

I was at the bank today and got some  more Euros and pound notes. Getting excited about running in the countryside of Ireland

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Actually, yes.  There is a 165-mile long canal towpath in my general area, and I'm on a personal challenge to try and run on as many different sections of it as possible before winter.  So, far I've done a total of 30+ miles on 5 different sections.

B-Plus

I kind of want to try a 15-mile biking/walking path around my hometown. My mom still lives there and it's only a 45 minute drive from here, but I'm too chickenshit that I'll encounter wildlife. I can't believe I lived there for over 20 years and have never been on that trail.

Yes and no -- I always find tolerable routes wherever I live, but still find myself returning to old favorites.

The most exciting find was a very scenic bike/running path near home during the year I lived in Tampa, because drivers down there are *awful* and scared me a ton.  That path was amazing, I miss it.

Antipodean

Yes, I love to spend time planning a new route on the RA training log. I moved house a year ago and it's been fun trying new routes locally although it's a lot hillier here. I love running in scenic locations and am lucky that in runs from my doorstep or a short drive I can run up volcanic cones, around a golf course, along the harbour foreshore, through old cemetries and on bike paths through parks or by highways. There's even an old harbour bridge near me that crosses through mangroves and is no longer used by traffic (a new bridge was built nearby) - it's used by fishermen, cyclists, runners & walkers. I like variety, but do tend to stick to the same routes in the early morning when I run in the dark because I stick to main roads that are well lit.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm addicted to planning new routes on mapmyrun.com all over town.  It's one of my favorite hobbies.

I never plan any of my routes.  I just go somewhere to start, and then I really never know where I will end up, because I often go 'exploring" when I see  a road or trail I've never been down or a neighborhood I've never been in.  Every time I start out,  I sort of have a time and distance in mind that I will do that day, but in reality after I start I just never know how far I will go or how long I will be out.  I'm not training for anything, I have no structured training plan, I just...go....run.....and I have a blast! Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

People who country run, do you get scared? I live on a country road. I leave the house and turn left, to the highway and back is 2.4 miles. I leave the house and turn right, it's 6.6 miles there and back. I'm too scared to go right.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

People who country run, do you get scared? I live on a country road. I leave the house and turn left, to the highway and back is 2.4 miles. I leave the house and turn right, it's 6.6 miles there and back. I'm too scared to go right.

I live in the city, but one of my half marathons I did last summer took place on some country roads.  So, obviously, I tried to train on it as much as possible before the race.  But to answer your question, yes, because while there wasn't much car traffic, there were no shoulders and/or sidewalk like I'm used to, and plus, I seem to encounter a lot more loose dogs out in the country.  I get so afraid something will happen to them simply because the loose dog chose to try and follow me on my run.

But no one says you have to do the full 6.6 miles.  You can do 1.2 miles out that way to start with, see how that goes, and work your way up from there.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't really get worried unless I am running at night, these roads don't have street lights and it sucks if I forget my knuckle light at home. I carry pepper spray just in case, but am a little more concerned of wild animals just popping out of nowhere at night. I would be really pissed off if I got sprayed by a skunk, or ran over by a deer, and sometimes I really wonder if those wires can hold those cows in lol. When I hear a car coming up behind me, I get a little nervous and almost brace for impact. Not too worried about dogs, haven't really ran into one out in the country loose though I have while running in the city, I'd have to say I like it out in the country area more than the city. Most vehicles are kind of enough to move over some, though I have had a few actually veer towards me then suddenly away, not sure if they're trying to be dicks or texting.

I am going to make it a goal of running more at night or early morning before dawn during winter and especially when there is a fresh blanket of snow. It is just gorgeous during winter, the moon out, no leaves and snow on the ground, almost bright as day but so much more quiet.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)