Beginners and Beyond

KC Corporate Challenge 5K RR (Read 42 times)

RabbitChaser

What: Kansas City Corporate Challenge 5K
    When: May 4, 2013
    Where: Kansas City
    Weather: 36F and misting
    Goal: Sub-22:00

I'll make this short/sweet. I met my goal by finishing in 21:53, but it was a poorly run race. The race begins with a mile long hill so I wanted to start out at a 7:00 pace for the first mile. I ended up running a 6:49 mile. I paid for it big time in the 2nd mile since I forgot about the 2nd hill. I ended up finishing mile 2 in 7:30 (w/o walking). The third mile was mostly downhill so I was able to finish it in 6:43. I managed to kick in the final 0.15 at a 5:28 pace. I feel that if I would have stuck with my plan of running the first mile in 7:00, I could have shaved off at least 15 seconds from my time. Regardless, I'm pleased that I met my goal.

Eric

hog4life

Hills are evil! Congrats on making your goal though.

BruceD555

Nice job on hitting your goal and it sounds like you did a great post-race analysis of what you did. It's so hard to show restraint at the start of a 5k and impossible to recoop energy once you've expended it. Congrats on that sub 22 finish!

Train smart ... race smarter.

LRB

Damn that's a tough 2nd mile, OOF!

Way to recover though and bring it in nicely with a 6:43 third mile.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

B-Plus

Sounds like a tough 5k. Who put all those hills there? Congrats!

Love the Half

Every race is a learning experience and learning how to run races with hills is a skill we have to develop.  There is a course in a park in my area that many different groups use throughout the year.  Without fail, people go out really hard and pay for it.  I actually won overall the last time I raced on the course but half a mile into the race, I was in 5th.  The hardest thing to do is hold back a bit when everyone else is flying.  Congrats on meeting your goal.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job! That's pretty speedy.

- Andrew

Congrats!  How did the rest of your team do?

Zelanie

Congrats on getting your goal, and it sounds like you have a faster race in you with better pacing!  Bonus!

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Congrats on meeting your goal and overcoming that tough second mile!

RabbitChaser

hog4life - Thanks!

Bruce - Thanks! I have definitely learned from this race.

LRB - Thanks!

Kristin - Thanks!

B-Plus - Thanks! It was tougher than I thought it was going to be. Sadly the 5K course is part of what I consider a fast HM course.

LTH - Thanks! I had all intentions of holding back the first mile, but didn't not follow my own strategy.

Brrrrrr - Thanks!

Shirfan - Thanks! The full results aren't out yet, but everyone had fun so I consider it a success. There is really only one other regular runner on our team and he finished about 8 seconds ahead of me.

Zelanie - Thanks! I just have to remember to stick with my race strategy during my next 5K. I have an easier time sticking to a strategy for longer distance races.

Hobbit - Thanks!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome time, great pace too!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)