Beginners and Beyond

During a HM or FM, do you set a plan or just wing it? (Warning, a bit long) (Read 144 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Is it only 100 ft? That isn't bad, I think I've done that before........... I think, a Blue Whale can reach 100 feet in length...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

this looks like 100' ...it might just kill me LOL !!!

http://www.knoxvillemarathon.com/Assets/Knoxville+Marathon+Digital+Assets/assets/pdf/km+course+profile.pdf

An half marathon with the largest hill being a 100 foot climb? I would kill for that!LOL

never run

It depends, I've winged it on several and had a set plan on 1.  I admit though the set plan did come after I had winged a HM 4 weeks earlier and found I had gas left in the tank so I set out to be about 10-15 seconds faster from the get go.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/290952676

Tell me if this link takes you to my run today, can someone who is good at comparing, compare my elevation chart to the St. Louis Half chart and tell me if they're both pretty similar? Please Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/290952676

Tell me if this link takes you to my run today, can someone who is good at comparing, compare my elevation chart to the St. Louis Half chart and tell me if they're both pretty similar? Please Big grin

I'd say they're similar - relatively flat (at least in my area, people would use that as a base). In your training run, you've got dips and ups near the start and end. The up is similar to the HM ups near miles 3 and 8. But can't say how accurate either of those profiles is. FR305 was known for exaggerating hills by a factor of 2 to 3 - trace showed hills where there weren't any.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What about the 405? I think that is the one I have.

PRs

5K plan - Run at an insanely stupid pace that is just not quite sprinting.  At about 2 miles, your body will tell you that you're ridiculous.  Ignore it, you're almost done.

HM plan - Run fast.  Keep running fast.  When you're sick of running fast, keep doing it anyway.

FM plan - Run kinda fast, but just slow enough to not physically melt down.

B-Plus

5K plan - Run at an insanely stupid pace that is just not quite sprinting.  At about 2 miles, your body will tell you that you're ridiculous.  Ignore it, you're almost done.

HM plan - Run fast.  Keep running fast.  When you're sick of running fast, keep doing it anyway.

FM plan - Run kinda fast, but just slow enough to not physically melt down.

How about a 10k? I have a couple of those coming up and could use some advice.

910xt is the only wrist-mounted, athletic one that I'm aware of with the barometric altimeter.

The 405 might be better than the 305, but unless it's got the barometric altimeter built in, and it's been allowed to equilibrate before your start, it's only a general guide. If, you live in a relatively flat area with clear view of sky and no cliffs, then those gps might be ok. The 305 worked halfway decently on long continuous climbs with good sky visibility, but it was really off on rolling hills and flat terrain.

That said, I don't think the HM course has that much to worry about for hills unless you do no hills work at all. (One of my regular spaghetti-loop trails has about 180ft up in 1/3 mile, so I may not be the best judge of "flat" for someone who doesn't run hills.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Hip Redux

910xt is the only wrist-mounted, athletic one that I'm aware of with the barometric altimeter.

This is correct.  But the BA in the 910 is also inaccurate (my 910 does some really wacky stuff with elevation).   GPS sports gear elevation measurements are never 100% reliable - they can be used as a guideline, and that's about it.  

I'd say the two GPS hill profiles are similar, but in real life, that could change.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've forced myself to do hills during training, I don't like them, but I don't hate them.

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

400m plan - Run at an insanely stupid pace that is just not quite sprinting.  

800m plan - Run fast.  Keep running fast.  When you're sick of running fast, keep doing it anyway.

mile plan - Run kinda fast, but just slow enough to not physically melt down.

FYP

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

This is correct.  But the BA in the 910 is also inaccurate (my 910 does some really wacky stuff with elevation).   GPS sports gear elevation measurements are never 100% reliable - they can be used as a guideline, and that's about it.  

I'd say the two GPS hill profiles are similar, but in real life, that could change.

I agree. I've only had mine since Aug and did do the update last fall. It did a really weird thing in an early Sep race, but nothing *really* strange since then. It does seem to read about 100ft high at the high point of some of my hills - some data from actual benchmarks, some from contour lines. I generally round down - like if says 750 ft, I'll log 700ft in my log. I've run some of those rolling hill routes enough to have an idea what they should be, depending if I hit the steeper ones or throw in some gentle ridges. Rolling hills are hopeless to figure out from a map.

Many of our maps in Alaska may be 50 yr old and really hard to read the tightly packed contours to count them. So a gps with ba works reasonably well and is a lot less painful. Smile  I believe they're doing a massive update of USGS mapping up here. Our borough just flew some 1/2-ft imagery of the area as well as LIDAR. We'll use that for our trail maps.

A few years ago I took 3 gps receivers up a hill on USFS road - fairly constant gradient, no weirdnesses with sky view (although I didn't check the satellite configurations). I got 3 very different results in terms of amount of climb. One was with GPSmap 60csx, Foretrex 401 (has a BA but didn't seem to be tied into the gps since I always had to set the base elevation), and FR305.

The thing with the 910 is that I've got all the data from one gadget vs HR and elevation from HRM and separate gps for mapping and distance. If I want to be sure of data, I'll take my handheld 60cs with Alaska maps with me. I've got pretty decent data for many of my routes now and all of my races, I think.

Hip Redux

I definitely like the 910 over the other options out there - I did the firmware upgrade, but I still get the "rising" elevation map.   So if I do a loop, my end point isn't at the same elevation as my start point because the 910 has me climbing the entire way.   The individual hills are fine but the "flat" keeps going up and up....

Here's the funkiest elevation map I've seen from it.  Apparently, at mile 6.5, I jumped off a ledge. lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Wow, and you survived that jump lol. I wish I could measure the hills myself... or could find another way to figure out how close to accurate my 405 is.

I definitely like the 910 over the other options out there - I did the firmware upgrade, but I still get the "rising" elevation map.   So if I do a loop, my end point isn't at the same elevation as my start point because the 910 has me climbing the entire way.   The individual hills are fine but the "flat" keeps going up and up....

Here's the funkiest elevation map I've seen from it.  Apparently, at mile 6.5, I jumped off a ledge. lol

PRs