Beginners and Beyond

Winter Weather WednesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

LRB

I guess I am a Southerner being in Maryland? Anyway, it has been reasonable this winter until this week. Actually, this is the first school year in a LONG time that we have not had at least 1 weather related closing already. I'll take that, it makes my job far easier.

Still not happy about the cold, ice and snow that will be sticking around here far longer than usual. The typical pattern here for snow is warm day > snow> 40 degrees> rain>couple 40 degree days. Repeat cycle although warm up may not be as much and sub rain for snow. This below freezing crap sucks and I am over it.

Any thoughts on the Mizuno Hayate or Kazen trail shoes? I may swing by Holabird Sports on my way home this week to get trail shoes since that is probably the only way I can run outside this weekend.

I do not own any trail shoes so I would be of no help. What about them yax trax thingy's?

B-Plus

I guess I am a Southerner being in Maryland? Anyway, it has been reasonable this winter until this week. Actually, this is the first school year in a LONG time that we have not had at least 1 weather related closing already. I'll take that, it makes my job far easier.

Still not happy about the cold, ice and snow that will be sticking around here far longer than usual. The typical pattern here for snow is warm day > snow> 40 degrees> rain>couple 40 degree days. Repeat cycle although warm up may not be as much and sub rain for snow. This below freezing crap sucks and I am over it.

Any thoughts on the Mizuno Hayate or Kazen trail shoes? I may swing by Holabird Sports on my way home this week to get trail shoes since that is probably the only way I can run outside this weekend.

I have the Hayate (profile pic) and they are useless for ice (I assume most shoes are). Even for snow, I can't recommend the hayate. You will likely want something grippier with deeper lugs.

More miles than degrees club, eh?  A walk to the mailbox would have knocked that out.

Warm fire, warm cat, smashed potatoes with sriracha, life is good.  Tomorrow, off to somewhere not warm, but less cold.  Smile

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have the Hayate (profile pic) and they are useless for ice (I assume most shoes are). Even for snow, I can't recommend the hayate. You will likely want something grippier with deeper lugs.

I have a few parks by me and I figure the trails may be in better shape than the sidewalks. I'm thinking the snow will be "virgin" snow and not packed down. Good to know about the Hayate, their clearance price was lower. We got maybe 3 inches of snow, so it isn't much, just that with the cold it ain't going anywhere.

LRB, for the sidewalks, the yak traxs won't work.  Every couple sidewalks are shoveled and I think those aren't good to wear on bare pavement.

55 minutes on the treadmill. Less laundry, less laundry, less laundry. Have to keep reminding myself of the positives of the mill......

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Drove 45-50 minutes in rush hour traffic so I could run indoors. It was worth it being able to run in shorts and t-shirt, as well as run with other runners around. Saw an old friend I hadn't seen in a couple years as well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Tried the Yax Trax at the store earlier. I was in the store, sitting comfortably, and couldn't put the damn things on. After probably 20-30 seconds I pictured myself running and all of a sudden one of the trax falls off or becomes crooked or something. That was it. When the sales person came back to help me it was too late. I would have none of it.

B-Plus

Can you guys believe I'm not recommending Mizuno? Anyway, ask Cy. He lives in the real canada.

workinprogress11

6 miles on the treadmill again.  The high here today was 1.  Current temperature -8.

Tried the Yax Trax at the store earlier. I was in the store, sitting comfortably, and couldn't put the damn things on. After probably 20-30 seconds I pictured myself running and all of a sudden one of the trax falls off or becomes crooked or something. That was it. When the sales person came back to help me it was too late. I would have none of it.

You are not missing anything. Got a pair a couple years ago, used them 3 days, they started sliding around on my foot during the run, then they broke, then I got a foot injury (correlation=causality in my book). So, not a fan.

Dave