Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES: Objects in mirror are further than they appear (Read 35 times)

LRB

Am I going to gain any speed at all between now and race day? 

I have endurance, but I have stalled as far as speed goes.

Could it be age? Did I peak last year and now I'm going down?

I am uncertain that one would train for a marathon with the expectation of getting faster at other distances.  Generally speaking, you usually can already run goal marathon pace, most just just cannot run it for 26.2 miles.  Marathon training plans therefore focus on endurance training and running on tired legs so that you become accustomed to what it will feel like to run GMP late in your event.

To that end by your own admission, your plan is doing exactly what it is supposed to.

We have seen on these forums however where incremental gains in speed were made for other distances while marathon training.  I think to fairly judge that though you would need to be fresh both mentally and physically.

Through no fault of your own you simply might be straying away a bit from the bigger picture and goal.  You certainly can get faster but you would need to train that way, but training for speed at this point is not an option.

In the grand scheme of things you are winning, unfortunately you will have to wait until race day to see it.

Stay the course, full steam ahead.

Lily - To my perception, you have been training so hard for so long, it seems only natural you would hit some kind of plateau. Also as LRB indicates, you may find on race day you did make progress after all, in the only measurement that counts.

7 lunchtime MP miles outside, in a 25mph wind. At least the rain let up after I got out there.

MTA: checked my log & noticed today's run made March my PB miles month.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am a heavy sweater even in sub-zero temps but with today's high winds and short distance I did not sweat nowhere near my usual.  It was weird.

That is why my wife loves snuggling up to me on cold days...cuz I'm a heavy sweater...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sounds like a nice run, LRB!

FreeSoul, what the heck are capris? And how do you run in those?  They sound very....capri-cious...    BTW...lovely ladies don't sweat, they 'glisten'....so happy glistening to you!

Dang, Baboon, you are a mileage whore! 

Basya, do you EVER have a day where you just do absolutely NOTHING?  Ummm, please don't try it, I think the world might end...

Good luck with the speedework, Damaris!  Hope your weather will behave for it!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the 19, Andrew!

Congrats on the run, redrum! Hope the hip and knee continue behaving!

You are not alone, Lily.  My wife, Gail, has the same thing...she can still feel cold here even if the temp is 90.  In Texas summer is it a blessing in disguise to have a 'built-in coolant system'?  I'll have to ask her.  Probably not.

Enjoy the rainy day off, Hobbit.  Furry buddies?  Are you having a Hobbit party? 

Always the best kind of rain, Marjorie!  I wish it would rain on me sometimes when I'm out there running in the 80+ temps, would feel very refreshing!   Congrats on your miles!

Hope the rest day helps you, outoftheblue.  Smart planning...get healthy, get strong, then pick a HM and go kick its butt!

Hi again, Zelanie!

LRB

I left work early, bout to get a massage.  

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Enjoy the rainy day off, Hobbit.  Furry buddies?  Are you having a Hobbit party? 

For Scotty, here is one of my buddies, Jenny, doing her "resting dog pose" while I did yoga today

Jenny

Docket_Rocket

For Scotty, here is one of my buddies, Jenny, doing her "resting dog pose" while I did yoga today

Jenny

My cats do this position and we call it the road kill position or the drama king position (Hershey is such a drama king).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, thanks Scotty but I definitely do sweat Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Andrew, terrific three-miler. I'm looking at Daniels plan A for MCM.

Marjorie, nice 9.6.

outoftheblue, I hope that, whatever you do, you feel OK.

Zelanie, I'm happy that your training is going well.

Damaris, enjoy your speed workout.

Rick, fantastic five. redrum, I'm glad that your run felt so good.

Nicole, have a relaxing and refreshing SRD.

DaveP MI, bravo on the seven.

scottydawg, doing nothing? For an hour or two, perhaps.

Rick, enjoy the massage.

It's raining, so I took my run to the TM. I did the first 5.50 miles at 6.1mph (9:49). Then, I increased the speed every .10 mile:

mile 5.50 to 5.60 - 6.2mph (9:40)

mile 5.60 to 5.70 - 6.3mph (9:31)

mile 5.70 to 5.80 - 6.4mph (9:22)

mile 5.80 to 5.90 - 6.5mph (9:13)

mile 5.90 to 6.00 - 6.6mph (9:05)

mile 6.00 to 6.10 - 6.7mph (8:57)

mile 6.10 to 6.20 - 6.8mph (8:49)

I also did ab work and push-ups. What do you guys think of fasting before runs?

LRB

I left work early, bout to get a massage.  

I completely forgot that shit hurts like a mutha *****!  

I completely forgot that shit hurts like a mutha *****!  

Way worse than any pain you had going in, in my experience.

Dave

LRB

Way worse than any pain you had going in, in my experience.

If you are a runner she pulls your leg and ass muscles off the bones and stuffs them down your throat!  lol

Docket_Rocket

Oops.  Good thing I read because it's 8 X 100m strides not 10.  Off I go.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

First run of anything over 3 miles since the knee thing.  Hip was feeling good so went to 35 minutes on the hamster wheel which would be approx 4 to 4.5 miles.  Felt good.  Even had some good speed in there which watching Sweet Sixteen games helped last night. 

Tonight will be mild bike as I potentially have a double-header basketball game tomorrow for playoffs.  We play at 6pm, if we win, we play again at 8. 

Phil ---- am/pm double......you're nuts, dude!

Nice, Redrum. Anybody coming back from a knee issue has their work cut out for them.

I'm slowly coming back myself, but I lost an amazing amount of speed between the final half marathon in October and my first 5K in February. But I ran it and I'm still slowly getting my stuff back together.

I do have to learn to better listen to the body though, and I need to try to NOT overbook myself.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54