Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill Recommendations (Read 90 times)

Trail Monster

The maintenance guy came out and looked at our treadmill today. The issue it seems is that we were sold a treadmill that isn't up to the amount of pounding we're putting on it. Thankfully DH and I are both small or else the thing would be dead already according to the technician. We bought it about 2-3 years ago and have put 1800+ miles on it in 284 hours of use. We're going to have the drive belt on the motor replaced but the guy said it's just a bandaid and we'll need a new motor soon at the rate we're going. Considering a new motor plus a tech visit will cost half as much as we paid for the thing new we will just be replacing it with a commercial grade treadmill. So now I need to do the research before ours completely blows up.

What kind of treadmill do you have? Do you love it, hate it, neutral? What would you look for if you were buying a treadmill new today? Is there a dream treadmill you drool over? What would you completely avoid?

Thanks in advance!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

As you would see recommended several times if this were the RWBF, the Sole F80 is a stellar home mill.

I even recently saw them at a Sears outlet center for something around $1k.  (I paid $1,200 for mine back when they were $1,500 thinking it was a smokin deal so $1k is definitely good).  You could even get away with the cheaper F63 if you and your wife are really that small. (just lesser/smaller specs but still a great mill too)

That said, I believe whatever Costco and SAMs club are currently carrying at around the $1k mark get good reviews too and, of course, club house warranties are pretty golden.

I'd buy my F80 again if I couldn't score some smoking deal on a $5k piece of legit gym mill hardware at a $1k price tag cuz the Sole's been good to me. (4 years strong)

Randy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Precor 9.31is my machine, excellently built. Great warranty.

When I was making my final decision, I narrowed it down to that or the Landice L7.

Pretty much went for the Precor as it was from the same store we bought our elliptical , and they gave us a great discount based on that.

(plus their service dept has a great, reputation not that we have actually needed it)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Jess runs for bacon

I have the Nordictrack 1750. It's nice and wide, with a built in fan, ipod dock, HRM, and it even declines. The best part about it is the iFit technology. The TM has a built in android tablet (you can surf the internet on it) and you can download workouts and routes. So when you create a map, it'll show the google street view on the screen and change the incline & decline automatically depending on the terrain. Of course, right before Christmas they updated the whole site which in turn pretty much screwed everyone's machines up. It's now almost back to normal. I got very lucky when I bought it, someone had traded it in for another TM after using it once, which knocked the price down. $1300 for everything including install.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ummmm that sounds AMAZING! I may be able to deal with TM running if I had that! Too bad there is NO place to put that thing in my teeny apartment.

I have the Nordictrack 1750. It's nice and wide, with a built in fan, ipod dock, HRM, and it even declines. The best part about it is the iFit technology. The TM has a built in android tablet (you can surf the internet on it) and you can download workouts and routes. So when you create a map, it'll show the google street view on the screen and change the incline & decline automatically depending on the terrain. Of course, right before Christmas they updated the whole site which in turn pretty much screwed everyone's machines up. It's now almost back to normal. I got very lucky when I bought it, someone had traded it in for another TM after using it once, which knocked the price down. $1300 for everything including install.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jess runs for bacon

Ummmm that sounds AMAZING! I may be able to deal with TM running if I had that! Too bad there is NO place to put that thing in my teeny apartment.

It is pretty cool. Last night I did Heartbreak Hill in Boston. It's freaking huge though. The track part does fold up but the front of the unit is giant. They actually had to disassemble it to get it through my sliding glass door.

Trail Monster

I was looking at the Proform Boston which has the same stuff. I can't afford a $4k treadmill but I may just look into this one or another one that offers the iFit technology. I definitely want one with more than 10% incline and some decline. Being able to program a hilly route and such would be a must have this time too. HR monitor compatible and iPod compatible will go on my 'want but not necessary' list.

thanks for the input everyone!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Jess runs for bacon

I was looking at the Proform Boston which has the same stuff. I can't afford a $4k treadmill but I may just look into this one or another one that offers the iFit technology. I definitely want one with more than 10% incline and some decline. Being able to program a hilly route and such would be a must have this time too. HR monitor compatible and iPod compatible will go on my 'want but not necessary' list.

thanks for the input everyone!

You should definitely check this one out then. 15 incline and negative 3 decline. You probably could get a sweet deal on it, I know a bunch got returned recently due to this fiasco. Which is silly, because eventually it'll work (well it does now) and it's still a damn good treadmill without the iFit. Even at it's normal price ($1500) it's a great machine.

Trail Monster

You should definitely check this one out then. 15 incline and negative 3 decline. You probably could get a sweet deal on it, I know a bunch got returned recently due to this fiasco. Which is silly, because eventually it'll work (well it does now) and it's still a damn good treadmill without the iFit. Even at it's normal price ($1500) it's a great machine.

Thanks. I will call up the scratch and dent and resale stores and see if they happen to have one.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop