Beginners and Beyond

Humidity is worse than altitude (Read 100 times)

SusanRachel

Interesting new finding: for me at least, humidity is worse than altitude.

Background: I am on my fourth deployment, third time going from sea level to 4-5000'.  Both previous times, I deployed in the winter when it was dry.  Both times, when I got to altitude, I was totally sucking wind for several months, walking on every run, and even after getting past that, was much slower than back home.

Current:  This time, I have been downrange for two weeks.  I am already running 3-4 miles without walk breaks and today, averaged a faster pace than I was averaging back home before deploying.  Run temperature today was 86* right at sunset, dew point 26, winds sustained 15mph with occasional dirt blowing in my eyes.  Runs before deploying were about the same temperature, also right at sunset, dew point 74, no wind.

Docket_Rocket

Dewpoint and humidity are EVIL!

Glad to see you posting and glad you made it safely there.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Glad to see you posting and glad you made it safely there.

+1

Training at altitude is the shiz once you adjust....allegedly.

Buelligan

Interesting new finding: for me at least, humidity is worse than altitude.

Not for me.  I can take the humidity, but altitude kills me.

I would definitely be one of those guys you have to leave behind at Everest.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

The very reason I'll be running INDOORS tonight!  I can't take another night of this monsoon-type insanity!  I need some cool, dry air for crying out loud!!!

Randy

Hip Redux

If you aren't used to the altitude, it's way tougher than humidity (at least for me!).  I did a hike in Hawai'i at 10K and I thought I was going to croak.

Docket_Rocket

Haha.  I lived in HI and didn't find any difference in altitude.  Having said that, my experience in Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa was only of 10 minutes.

If you aren't used to the altitude, it's way tougher than humidity (at least for me!).  I did a hike in Hawai'i at 10K and I thought I was going to croak.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I'm no chemist, but I think the formula is as follows:

Humidity + Heat -->  ArrrrrrrGH!

I do know that going from around 600-800 feet where I normally run to 2000-2200 feet takes a little toll on my wind, but I'm not quite sure how much. I just know that I was really struggling to get air at the end of the "King of the Mountain" race on Lookout Mountain, TN.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Hah, I live at 6600' in a dry climate.  For me, humidity is by far the suckiest!

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I can go to between 4000' and 5000' without too much difficulty. Higher than that takes a little acclimatization.

Despite living in humid places before there's just no getting used to it.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Docket_Rocket

I agree!  I have always said I was born in the wrong section of the world, ha.

I can go to between 4000' and 5000' feet without too much difficulty. Higher than that takes a little acclimatization.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I must have missed it. When did you escape Kuwait? Altitude slows me down, but I've never had a serious problem with it except the first time I hiked over a 9000' pass and started getting nauseated.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Word.

SusanRachel

George, I escaped Kuwait on the third attempt to leave - we took off and flew for Afghanistan twice and twice had to turn back to Kuwait for maintenance.  I was about to strangle someone.  I've been in the 'Stan a little over two weeks now and am pretty well settled in.  Now if only the optometrist would send the glasses insert that I need for my shades.  I'm going blind walking around without sunglasses at high noon.

I proved the humidity theory tonight when the dew point went up to 64 - not horrible by Alabama standards, but still up there - and I had a seriously sucky run.  I think I need to retire somewhere with a dry climate.  Humidity and I are just not friends.