Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Street2Feet 5K (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO / SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, running since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Held on February 21st, 2015, this was my 7th race of 2015.  Street2Feet 5K supports SAMMinistries (www.samm.org) an interfaith Ministry with mission to help the homeless and those at risk of becoming homeless.  Including today, this event has has been put on annually for 6 years and I am on a streak, I have done all 6 of them.  Weather felt quite warm at the 8 a.m. start time....in the 60s, humidity of 89%, and a dew-point in the lower 60s.  About 700 - 800 participants and there was a Kids Run before the 5K got started.  I finished 31:53 chip time and 33:05 gun-time.  I might just break 30 minutes yet for a 5K someday.  I might've today but right before I headed to the finish line I stopped to take a photo of The Alamo - which is okay by me...these days with my running, "fun" is more important to me than my time.  And I sure had fun!

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

If you don't want to go through  my long-winded report - I do tend to be 'talky', lol - you can just review the no-commentary/photos only slide show at this link:

BEFORE THE START

I arrived with about an hour to go before start time and did my usual pre-race thing of getting some "before" photos

A few 'old-guy' runners.  I really should not be in this group, lol, these other two are really speedy!  With my birthday last year, I went into Jim's (the tall guy) age group (60 - 64) ...and he won our age group today with a time of 22:59, sheesh!  The 2nd guy in our age group was only TWO seconds behind him!  Me, I finished 6th out the 14 in our age group.

Some of the great volunteers out there for us

Participants, Supporters, et al...

These folks are wearing the Street2Feet tech tee race shirts participants got

A couple of my running pals, Gene and Loyce.  Gene is much faster than me....hmmm...why am I always finding running friends who are so much faster than me? 

A couple of the good folks from local race company iaapweb.com, who did timing, course set up, etc, in their usual 'great job' manner.

My new friend - the 4-legged one - that I met last week, he also was at the Be My Valentine 5K.  One of the nicest and friendliest dogs ever, he is really a 'great guy."    His humans are pretty nice too!

I CHASED this lil doggie and his human into the finish and I really was trying to catch him..but no go! That is one speedy lil doggie, he and his human running with him (in the green shirt) beat me in by about 20 seconds!

Facing the MC stage and downtown San Antonio while the National Anthem played...and flags waving in the breeze from all over the tops of several buildings

At the start line, getting ready to go....

ON THE COURSE

"I would cheer for all you runners..but I'm a little horse...."

Going past the Main Library downtown...a very bright building!

Across one of the bridges that goes over the San Antonio Riverwalk

About 1/4 mile to go....in front of THE ALAMO (yes, you non-Texans, THE ALAMO should ALWAYS be capitalized! ) and being entertained by a Mariachi group as we all passed by.   They were quite good too!

AFTER THE FINISH

Race goodies waiting for us...

Trail mix, nuts, etc

Shipley donuts!  Oh yeah!  I had a couple...

"Happy Finishers", supporters, et al....

I ran the last part of the course with this sweet lady, who is also a cancer survivor

These folks modeled for me the Tortilla Soup that was also offered with the post-race goodies

This volunteer is showing the "Street2Feet" Fiesta Medal for Fiesta San Antonio that is upcoming in April.  During Fiesta time, it is a big thing to collect as many of the different Fiesta medals as you can.

The little dog that beat me..and some of  his friends

Two of my 'running crushes"...Laura and Sally.  Sally (on the left) is doing the AlamoFest half marathon on February 22 - I am doing the 5K - so today she volunteered to rest her legs a bit.

Our two great MCs...

Off the course now and back at the finish line cheering in runners and horsing around...

My co-worker and friend at UTSA, ALMA (right) and her daughter

My 4-legged buddy taking his human for her cool-down walk....

Two lovely "dishes"...and the ladies aren't bad either. 

My Brak Pak buddies...

EPILOG

LOVE this event!  Great cause, great course that gives us a nice little 'downtown San Antonio mini-tour"  - and a very flat course too so for you speedier runners this is a really good course to chase a new PR.  Nice post-race goodies, lots of music playing and, of course, the thing that makes any event great - all the really great and friendly people that were out there:  participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.  Out of all the races I do in a year - which is LOTS - this one is one of the most 'smilingest" events of all - every time I do this one all I see are miles of smiles and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves.  Definitely going to keep my streak going for this one!  Much thanks to all the sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, etc., all the good folks who were out there for we participants and made it all happen!  A special thanks to the prime sponsor, Toyota San Antonio (San Antonio has a big Toyota manufacturing plant here) who not only sponsors the event but also provides a LOT of volunteers to help out.   Also, special  thanks to First Presbyterian Church downtown that let us take over their parking lot and surrounding streets for the event.

Oh....and for my wife...who is the MOST beautiful woman in the world to me!  One more public showing for her of the sign I surprised her on the course with at the 5K last week that was done on Feb 14th...our 30th anniversary.  Love you!  And thanks for all YOUR patience the last 30 years in supporting my running habit. 

photo 036_zpsvhwauizx.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Big race, but it looks like a fun one.  Nice that they can close off the streets so you can all run safely.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Tortilla soup as a post race snack... NICE!

LRB

There were a million doughnuts at that joint!

You should have run with that sign. lol That was nice of you!

mmm, tortilla soup!

Docket_Rocket

Nice report.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page