Beginners and Beyond

Preambulating Monday Penguins (Read 19 times)

SheCan

*hugs* HsM-- hope your day is getting better.  And thank you for making mine better 

Jerry-- "I think we should all enter the Costa Rica HM with Zel."  No doubt... I'm thinking we should recruit some rich Penguins that might treat us all to fancy races... wait then we'd have to actually run 13.2 miles?   I truly dont think I could right now.

Docket-- "What is nice weather?"  I wish I could share.  The last few days have just seemed like such a reprieve from June.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

I took a rest day today. I did 92 miles over the weekend, so legs are a bit sore. It looks like the heat/humidity has turned up a notch here, so upcoming runs will be wet.

Amazonian Princess

RD since I have a hair appointment after work. Told my stylist I'm going to let the grey grow out but now that the appointment's an hour away, I'm not sure. Wish I had thought of an exit plan when I started coloring it 

Jerry - thanks for the beer advice! Usually we do family dinner with MIL at the Hawaiian place and I'm good with an umbrella drink, but they want to try something new so I suggested a pub (because they gotta have alcohol there!)

PAD - nice bike ride! Hope you live somewhere with safe trails, or do you ride to work?

Hi, Docket!

Congrats, again, obie! I saw the story of how you came up with your forum name in another thread, but I can't help but think "obiebyke" should be "obierunne" now

HsM - hope your day got better, and yay! a trip to look forward to!

Jack - 38 days is awesome! Do you have a goal in mind, now that you've done so many days already?

She Can - um, could I ask what you're standing next to in your avatar photo? Sorry if I missed an earlier explanation.

Very impressive weekend workout, h4l!

Zelanie - while it's not directly running related, could I ask you about your experience losing weight? I don't know any other woman who's lost so much and not to sound too 'afterschool special' but my body is changing and I don't understand it. Some parts are going away (I'm kinda getting boy hips) but others are bigger (my feet! what the what is up with that?) Did you lose all over at the same time or is there a sequence to it?

I can. I will. I am. 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi guys!  I got a bit frustrated with my running.  I finally just took a week off.  I'm hoping to get back into the fun of running by training for a half.  I don't want to run another 5k any time soon.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: I am hoping for a HM at the end of August. It's not hot enough now, so I thought I would wait until then. Wink

Bacon: No goal on the streak. Like I said, it just kind of happened, you know? I didn't even really notice until about twenty days in. Most of my runs are easy pace but I'm getting between 40-45 mpw. Once I go back to work I'm sure the streak will end.

Awood: I ran a 5k on the 4th and it was so hot I think I was more exhausted after that than I was after my Tucson marathon. Seriously.

Zelanie

I will be looking for all of you guys in the starting corral on Sunday!

Bacon- (TMI alert for anybody who doesn't want to know about weight loss body changes!)  Different stages of weight loss came off of completely different parts of my body, like one body part at a time.  My feet did eventually shrink, and I had to buy new shoes.  But then they grew again as I ran more...

Sometimes, I wouldn't even lose weight for a few weeks, but I would go down a pants size.  Or I would lose a ton of weight, but none of it from an area that made any difference in how my clothes fit.

I'm sorry to say that I think the last 10 pounds I lost all came off of the boobs.  My clothing size had mostly stabilized, but I had to keep going and buying all new bras.  The good news is, the 5 pounds or so *under* my goal seems to all come off my tummy.  I had gotten down a few pounds under goal last year and noticed that, but went back up.  I think I've lost about 5 pounds since I've been down here, and I'm noticing that it again seems to be coming off of the tummy area.  Woo!  So there does seem to be certain areas that lose at certain times.

Amazonian Princess

Zelanie, thank you for the reply  I'm so glad you went through the "my clothes seem bigger but the scale's not moving"  experience, too. I talked to my doc and she did some thyroid tests to be sure everything's okay (it is) and told me to just keep doing what I'm doing. My trainer tried to explain it by telling me I'm gaining muscle and that I'll look leaner and feel stronger but that I'll probably always be a big girl. I know I need to just focus on healthy, sustainable change but it seems like I'm stuck in "before" mode when I compare myself to others. Guess the key is to just stop making comparisons?

Anyway, enough complaining from me, a little progress is still progress, and -TMI alert - since my belly is slimming down it makes my boobs look bigger so I'll try and appreciate 'em in case they shrink later 

I can. I will. I am. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Just jumping on a bit of a soapbox here -- I have a PhD in Chemistry and I work at an academic institution, so I have access to the latest research and I know how to read it.  There's a lot of "everybody knows" regarding weight loss, and it's much like back when "everybody knew" the sun revolved around the earth.  It was an accepted fact, and when Galileo said the science disproved it, he was placed under house arrest for the rest of his life.  Anyway, the science regarding weight loss is this:

Any diet will cause almost anyone to lose weight in the short term.

Most people (about 95%) will gain back the weight they lose, and about 30% of them will gain back even more.

When you lose weight, your body undergoes physiological changes that persist for years, geared towards getting the weight back.

Health is multivariable and not entirely within our control.

Healthy habits lead to better health, even if they don't lead to weight loss.

Yo-yo dieting is worse for your health than if a person stays fat but adopts healthy habits.

"Calories in, calories out" is bunk.  Physiology is much more complex than thermodynamics.

So that's the science.  We would all be healthier if we threw our scales out the window and did the following:

Eat more fruits and vegetables

Get adequate sleep

Drink in moderation

Move our bodies in ways that we enjoy

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

obiebyke

Congrats, again, obie! I saw the story of how you came up with your forum name in another thread, but I can't help but think "obiebyke" should be "obierunne" now

Smile

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)