Beginners and Beyond

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction...I have it. :-( (Read 118 times)

I'm seeing a Sports Chiropractor who seems to know his stuff, treats a lot of local athletes and is an all around cool guy. 

Seems I have sacroiliac joint dysfunction caused likely by my Mortons Toe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton's_toe

I have 15-20 degree less range of motion in my left hamstring as opposed to right.

Based upon watching a bunch of vids on SI Joint Dysfunction- it seems like exactly what I have: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_ShyF3_14

Here is a cool collection of 17 vids about the SI issue and exercises to help with it. The vid that starts below is pretty much what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4je...688610B7360E9C

I have started to get sports massages in addition to adjustments and stretches I am doing daily. 

ONCE again, I will have to start my fitness all over. However, this time should be different because I know what has been plaguing me most of my life. My SI Joint initially got hung up when I was 18. At various times, it's gone from mild discomfort to something I had to baby. 3 weeks ago the SI joint had a hissy again. I was disabled. Called out of work...very rare for me.

Oddly, running didn't bother the SI Joint too much, unless I did too much fast (sprint) running. Getting back into weight lifting in addition to running flared the issue up. In a way I am glad because now I know what is going on and I can work on fixing it.

I am searching through threads now, but anyone here have this issue? How long did it take before you felt better? I'd like to do a HM 4mos from now. Wondering if it's possible? 

Other links:

http://www.medicinenet.com/sacroilia...pain/page3.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroil...nt_dysfunction

Dean

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, sorry about that.  Hopefully, now that you're doing the stretches, it will keep the issues at bay or make them better.  Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry to hear Sad Are you in physical therapy in addition to the massage and adjustments? A good sports PT may be able to tailor more stretches and exercises specifically to you, and may have some other methods to help.

Clicking the link to Morton's Toe, I never realized that had a name and was something that could cause any musculoskeletal issues!! I always knew a percentage of people had the second toe longer than the big toe but had no idea any type of issues could be associated. Growing up, in like middle school/early high school, the rumor was if the second toe was longer than the first that meant one had excellent bedroom skills. Lol! So....at least there's that?!?!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Trail Monster

I have Morton's Toe and didnt even know it. I do have scoliosis and SI joint pain but never knew they were associated. I get massage, chiropractic adjustments, and Graston for the aches and pains it all causes. The good news is you can definitely do a half in four months. I'm running my first hundred in 18 days and never even knew there was a reason not to.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

workinprogress11

My second toe is slightly longer than my big toe.  I didn't know it was a thing.  You learn something every day.

I hope you get things figured out and take care of any issues you are having.  I know how tough it can be to start over again.

tracilynn

Interesting?  My 2nd toe is longer too and have been plagued with injury, not SI stuff though (knock wood)  I excessively pronate  and my ankles rotate inward (varus ankles) which it mentioned in that article.  Hmmm.  I should prob find a chiro or PT too.

Kristin, since I have mortons toe, I can indeed verify the rumor is true Big grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies.  Just because the 2nd toe is longer doesn't necessarily mean you have Morton's 100%. It's probable, just not a 100% diagnosis.

Check this link:

http://www.footcare4u.com/mortons-toe-what-is-it-what-causes-it-how-to-treat-it/

In my case anyway, I have a pretty big difference in strength/muscle mass from my left (weaker with more Morton's) then the right:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JjteAtRx06Oiy-55osKXqIDthwbJ30gIxyqv1Q7cvVE?feat=directlink

And my feet:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pFeXLeWeK9i6S97tOkokgoDthwbJ30gIxyqv1Q7cvVE?feat=directlink

I just started seeing the Sports Chiro and got my first massage Friday.  SI joint Dysfunction seems fairly common. But my root cause is a functional imbalance between legs.  Hip/pelvis not sitting properly.

If I'm not satisfied with my current treatments I'll see a PT.

Trail Monster

This all makes a lot of sense with what I have experienced. I have SI problems that I blamed on scoliosis. Maybe that is due to the toe thing? I also am weaker on the left side and always end up with pain on the left side only: left knee, left hip, left SI joint, etc. I also dislocated a bone in my foot during my last ultra which I'm sure was due to a weird foot motion. Guess I will bring this up at my next appointment. Thanks for all the links!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

This is very, very interesting.  I also have Morton's Toe and didn't realize it was anything.  I have a ton of issues with my feet (they are flat and I have had so many ankle injuries from as young as 8 years old), and I have SI issues.  If I run a lot, my glute muscles will get tight and pull on the SI joint and it will lock up.  It's very painful and aches my whole  hip.  I get massages fairly regularly but have never seen a chiropractor.  It usually remedies itself after a few days but I am very tight in the SI region all the time.  I have an old injury there from when I was a kid and was wrestling with my cousin.  I also thought it was from that.

superspike113

Honorary Old

I've been dealing with SI pain for the last 2.5 years- it onset during pregnancy and hasn't totally gone away. I can get it under control with ART/Chiropractic treatments, but it keeps coming back and I'm not cured. I also have reduced range of motion in my hips- when I first went to the chiro my right hip had about 10% mobility. I don't have a morton's toe so I think mine was caused by running during pregnancy and it has just been inflamed ever since.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

gusgordon

SI Joint Dysfunction ended my running life.  Get a bike!