Beginners and Beyond

Tromping Through Thursday Penguins (Read 42 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run at Lackland Air Force Base after work yesterday in the sunshine and 75 degree weather.   Today our temp is going up to 79 degrees.  I think Mother Nature is trying to give San Antonio an early Spring.  Will get in a few miles today after work at Fort Sam Houston.   Then a haircut after that.  Funny how your views change.  When I was in high school, I was a long haired rock-n-roller hippy; now, after a 24-year military career, my hair gets long enough to just start touching my ears and it drives me crazy!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jen16226

Good morning everyone!

This cold weather is getting old already.

Trying to keep an eye on the temps for the weekend.  It is looking like I might swap my Saturday(5 miles) and Sunday(3 miles) runs around because Sunday is to be warmer.

SRD for me with DS3 having basketball tonight....his first in almost 2 weeks due to my benching him for not doing homework and misbehavior in his classroom.  I think he REALLY learned his lesson for sure the other night watching his team lose and the ref coming over afterward to tell him point blank that his team would have won that game had he played.

Have to go.....swamped here at work, but wanted to check in and say hi to everyone and I hope you all have a great day.

Jen

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Philliefan33

Nice run at Lackland Air Force Base after work yesterday in the sunshine and 75 degree weather.   Today our temp is going up to 79 degrees. 

Gee thanks Scotty, way to flaunt your nice weather while the rest of us are freezing our butts off!

tracilynn

Vance, way to get up and get your dreadmill miles in early. 330 is middle of the night to me.  WTG.  I bet you will feel great the rest of the day now.

Mitch, bin, & jnelt enjoy your 8, 8 looks popular today

Pinegrove, avatar looks like youre gonna kick someones azz or lift heavy and hard. Enjoy the 2

Rach, how do you like insanity?  It looks tough! Hence the name. Ha

Gustav, I ran every other day for a long time.  I liked it.

Margo, haha, im sure most costly renoVations go that way.  You cant just replace one thing!

D, Im always tired if I sleep too much too.

Lauren, glad its just a bruise, shoooo.

Dave, 15k huh?  Good luck speedy.

I tried to run an easy 3 on grass yesterday and only made it 2 miles and shin started killing me.  No more running for me for awhile.  Im gonna let this heal up.  I looked back at my log and I increasesd my miles from about 55 per month to 75 miles in November (I started doing long runs) and I guess thats what did me in.  Not THAT aggressive of an increase but too aggressive for me.  Ugh.  So I cried on my painful shin splinted walk home because my HM in 10 weeks will prob not happen.  I wonder if I can walk it?  But thats dumb.  I just REALLY wanted the medal and socks they give to all the finishers.  BOOOOOOOO.

I thought running was my prozac but its causing me a lot of stress.  Should just take the prozac!  Stupid running.  Joking

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rach, what the heck is an insanity workout?  Is your temp up there still cold enough to qualify as part of the Ice Age?  Hope you meet some other runners and if you do get brave enough to get out there, good luck and stay safe!

Good luck with your really really fast 2 miles, PG Dave.

Good luck with the 8 miles, Mitch.

8 miles on a track..that is a lot of patience, Bin!

Congrats on your dreadmill run, Vance.

Gustav, if you do every other day, if your running week starts Sunday (mine starts Monday) that will give you alternating weeks of running 4 days one week and 3 days the next week.  Not a bad plan, the 3-day running week can be your 'cut-back" week from the 4 running days a week, allow you to progress gradually until you are back up to 100% again.  That plan of yours was what I did for all the comebacks I had to do in my running life, after knee surgery, hernia surgery, etc.

Good luck to your little one, jneilt; is he looking forward to eating ice cream after the procedure?

Jerry, watching the Weather Channel last night...crazy weather in Chicago up there!  10 degrees this morning at 5 a.m.? Shocked  Sure you don't want to do a winter get-away and come visit San Antonio for a week or so? Joking   I noticed the weather folks did mention, though, Chicago was still on its 'no-snow yet' streak.

See, Lauren, that's why I only use the weight machines...I can't drop anything on myself, lol.   Hope your shin heals quickly!

Good luck with your miles and braving the cold, Margo.  Happy home make-over!

Yeah, too much sleep, Damaris.  I usually get about 6 hours.  I find that if I sleep more than that, it's like my body feels 'drugged' and I drag for a bit.  Guess it's all about what your system gets used to and when you go "outside" of that, it's like your body goes into withdrawals.  Since you're working at home, maybe you can get in a couple of quick power-naps during the day. Joking

Congrats on your run, Dave!  Good luck with your 15K this weekend!  BTW, no snow here either! Big grin

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It is looking like I might swap my Saturday(5 miles) and Sunday(3 miles) runs around because Sunday is to be warmer.  OK, this has me curious now, Jen16226...what is going the be the temp difference between the two days?  Glad your son learned his lesson.  Wow, the REF actually told him that, not the coach?  I thought Refs were supposed to be impartial.

Traci, so sorry you are going through all of this.  You know, this shin has been bothering you for so long, it may not just be a shin splint.  Ask your doc about checking for compartment syndrome.   Also, when you run, are you using a shin-sleeve?  This compresses the area and also helps promote healing and alleviating pain, so you might want to try wearing one when you run.  I have to wear one all the time on my right shin (stupid helicopter crash! Angry) when I am active.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gee thanks Scotty, way to flaunt your nice weather while the rest of us are freezing our butts off!

I'm just trying to let all you cold-weather folks get warm by living vicariously through my sunshine running!    It's not helping?  whistle

Better I Leave

Good morning Penguins!!!!

I have an Insanity workout planned for the morning and then a PT session planned for the afternoon. 

How many days are you in to it?

From the Internet.

I tried to run an easy 3 on grass yesterday and only made it 2 miles and shin started killing me.  No more running for me for awhile.  Im gonna let this heal up.  I looked back at my log and I increasesd my miles from about 55 per month to 75 miles in November (I started doing long runs) and I guess thats what did me in.  Not THAT aggressive of an increase but too aggressive for me.  Ugh.  So I cried on my painful shin splinted walk home because my HM in 10 weeks will prob not happen.  I wonder if I can walk it?  But thats dumb.  I just REALLY wanted the medal and socks they give to all the finishers.  BOOOOOOOO.

I thought running was my prozac but its causing me a lot of stress.  Should just take the prozac!  Stupid running.  Joking

Ugh I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm still unsure about my HM in April.. probably won't have a good idea whether I'll be able to finish it or not until I'm a few weeks out from it. I'd suggest looking into PT, it has been really, really helpful for my shin splints - they were able to pinpoint why it happened (weak hip, weak foot) and have been giving me specific exercises to correct the problems. In the meantime, lots of ice and rest!

Better I Leave

Wait...OK, this may be a stoopid question, but can someone who has been running for awhile develop shin splints?

Zelanie

Morning!  5 for me on the TM early today.  First time running before work- necessary because I go straight from school to work a WW meeting and I couldn't run yesterday.  But I got it done!

Traci- So sorry!  I had shin splints the first time I started running, too.  I hope you are able to heal up.

Have a good day, all!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I got my new shoes last night so let's hope they help. One more rest day and a massage tomorrow will hopefully do the trick.

Dang it. I tried putting a picture on here using my phone. I hate technology. How do you do it? It's an iPhone5.

tracilynn

Scotty, yes I do run with cep sleeves but only since about 3 weeks ago. Sleep in them too. I love them.

Lauren, I wish I could do PT. it costs me about $175 per visit after ins and I can't afford that. :-(

pinegrove, my doc said shin splints can happen at anytime. It mostly affects beginners. I have been running almost 11 months.

Jack, yay on new shoes. I don't think you can add pics easily on iPhone or iPad.

~~~~~~~

Traci

4 miles this morning. no time for personals. Actually having to work this am.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty, yes I do run with cep sleeves but only since about 3 weeks ago. Sleep in them too. I love them.

Lauren, I wish I could do PT. it costs me about $175 per visit after ins and I can't afford that. :-(

pinegrove, my doc said shin splints can happen at anytime. It mostly affects beginners. I have been running almost 11 months.

Jack, yay on new shoes. I don't think you can add pics easily on iPhone or iPad.

Ok... Thanks, Traci. It was just a pic of my shoes. I got some New Balance. I hope you are feeling better. I know it is frustrating!