Beginners and Beyond

Runner's laundry (Read 539 times)

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

My thought exactly. I opened it because I thought how much can one possibly say about laundry. Little did I know what I was getting myself into.  I started reading it and saw how it flips back and forth. So I read it all because it was quite interesting (both subjects).

I love how this threads keeps alternating between the discussion of funky clothes and the discussion of farts. Like it's trying to reach a higher ground but just can't seem to find its way. Much better thread than you'd have thought it would be.

Don't believe everything you think. 

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I guess I'm lucky that my 14-yo dd makes sure she tells me loudly & clearly whenever she thinks I stink.  Especially after I get back from a run. If I take time to eat & drink before jumping in the shower, it's "Eeeeeew, MOM!!  You smell!"

Keeps me on top of my laundry.

And just to make sure I cover both aspects of this thread, the same 14-yo dd still thinks that farts are hilarious.

Angela 

happylily

I guess I'm lucky that my 14-yo dd makes sure she tells me loudly & clearly whenever she thinks I stink.  Especially after I get back from a run. If I take time to eat & drink before jumping in the shower, it's "Eeeeeew, MOM!!  You smell!"

Keeps me on top of my laundry.

And just to make sure I cover both aspects of this thread, the same 14-yo dd still thinks that farts are hilarious.

I'm lucky that my 15 year old boy smells like a healthy growing adolescent. In other words, there is no way he can ever say that I smell worse than him, even after I finish a 20 miler. Big grin Also, I have NEVER farted in my life, of course. Blush

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I wash my tights after 2-3 wears unless I have a particularly sweaty run. Compression shorts and running skirts the same. The shorts with the built in brief I will wash after every time because I don't wear additional underwear. I wash sporrts bras, underwear, and base layer shirts and socks after every time. Top layers usually every 2 runs or so unless I get rel sweaty. Hat or headband, And gloves every 3-4 runs. Calf compression sleeves usually every other run. My jacket I don't wear often it's only a shell for rain, snow, or extreme wind and it's new....haven't washed it yet but I will gets every 3 wears or so.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

I forgot the original question... I wash everything I wear after I wear it once. Absolutely no wearing again my dried up sweaty clothes. Ewww... I make an exception only for warmer jackets and gloves, because if I need to wear them,  it must be mighty cold outside and I'm less likely to sweat then. But I use no special detergent and everything is washed together, civilian and running clothes, even darks and whites, and everything in the dryer after. If it dies, then it wasn't meant for me. You've got to be tough to live with me. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Coastal

Almost everything goes in the washer and dryer together.  No special detergent.  Never heard of any until reading this thread.  I usually wash them before wearing again.  Well, my tights get multiple uses but they get hung up to dry.  They are only used in the winter.

Jackets get washed pretty rarely as I don't want to damage the water repellent coating, but they do get dried after every run.  They don't seem to get the sweat funk so much.

Mostly harmless

For running stuff that is really stinky I use the "auto soak" setting on the washer and toss in a few tablespoons of Borax. So far that has worked every time.  Before I started doing that, some of my tech shirts would still smell after going through the laundry.  I think it's the newer "High Efficiency" washers that are to blame.  They use less water and tech shirts are made NOT to absorb water anyway  Soaking them seems to be the trick.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I forgot the original question... I wash everything I wear after I wear it once. Absolutely no wearing again my dried up sweaty clothes. Ewww... I make an exception only for warmer jackets and gloves, because if I need to wear them,  it must be mighty cold outside and I'm less likely to sweat then. But I use no special detergent and everything is washed together, civilian and running clothes, even darks and whites, and everything in the dryer after. If it dies, then it wasn't meant for me. You've got to be tough to live with me. Big grin

Same here.  I refuse to sort laundry.  I have better things to do with my time & it all comes out clean anyway.

Angela 

ooligan

Same here.  I refuse to sort laundry.  I have better things to do with my time & it all comes out clean anyway.

lol - my refusal to sort laundry is why DH does all of the family laundry. (I do all the cooking) He used to have a good deal until we had 3 sons : )

The only exception is I hand-wash my running bras. I was bringing them right into the shower with me and using the same ivory bar soap on them that I did on my body. Then hanging to dry afterwards from the shower head. (I wasn't wearing the bra in the shower when washing it, because that would be beyond lazy and painful to take off when soaking wet).  Now I have a liquid sport wash so I toss my sportsbra in an ice cream pail of wash and water while I shower then squeeze suds through and rinse/ hang dry after my shower so it is ready for next day.

All my other running clothes he does with his regular laundry. One wear, one wash. Exception running jackets - about 3-5 wears in between wash depending on the amount of miles on them. Running tights once/ week - because that is when he does that type of laundry.

We have our laundry done by the nice laundromat people, so I have no idea what they do, but I've never had a problem with tech gear wearing out, so it's all good.

In the winter, I will re-wear pants/tights a few times. Everything else gets washed after one wear.