Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Athlete Guild St. Paddy's Day 5K and 1K Leprechaun Kids Run (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos. Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

My 18th race of 2016 done on March 12th was the St. Paddy’s Day 5K in New Braunfels, Put on by Athlete Guild, a great local race management company, the event was held at Rockin’ R River Rides. There was also a 1K Leprechaun Kids Run. Race start time 8 a.m.   Weather was great, low dew-point, around 62 degrees as the start, blue skies and sunny, with a bit of cloud cover. 177 finishers, 64 male, 113 female. I finished in 32:08 chip time, 4th in my age group. There were only 4 in my age group, lol, and I was the slowest; the 3 other guys all finished under 30 minutes. It’s all good, I was enjoying myself on course taking photos and chatting with other runners. Nice to get a medal, but it’ really not a priority for me anymore for where I’m at now in my running life.

On to the photos! I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do. So if you’d rather just see photos only without my “pithy comments” you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2018%20%20Paddys%20Day%205K

BEFORE THE START

Arrived with a bit under an hour to go before the 8 a.m. start. On to taking prestart photos!

The Rockin R building

photo 014_zpsmvpwiiyd.jpg

photo 020_zpse72vglb1.jpg

photo 022_zps503sem2s.jpg

River near our start/finish location

photo 010_zpsh1uq0em9.jpg

photo 012_zpscxfej55q.jpg

photo 013_zpshxyzbjy2.jpg

Athlete Guild folks out there puttin' on the show for we participants

photo 004_zpsawnw6gyn.jpg

photo 017_zpsiwc9hbzb.jpg

photo 023_zps2scbfwyw.jpg

photo 025_zpsklpiu7ql.jpg

Scottydog in the house!  Thanks to my Athlete Guild friends for taking this photo

photo 026_zpspxzl2xox.jpg

Our sausage wrap chefs, busy at it so it would all be ready after the finish

photo 006_zpsl4fohnll.jpg

Get stretches before and after the race.  I thanked the lady and said no thanks, I'm old now and already have lots of stretch marks

photo 018_zpsfagijk9c.jpg

photo 008_zpspdfi1jxi.jpg

Participants, etc

photo 005_zps3a9tixvk.jpg

photo 007_zpsi6sbibmx.jpg

photo 016_zpsrqrwbj9a.jpg

photo 021_zps1gwzdx6u.jpg

photo 024_zpsxpbieq4t.jpg

Start line, getting ready to go

photo 029_zpsiznrkpgf.jpg

photo 030_zpsh4ows1xn.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started in the parking area of Rockin’ R, made a turn onto the street in front of that and then went into a very nice residential neighborhood across from the Rockin’ R location. Nice loop through that, which included a couple of mild hills, and then back to Rockin’ R the way we had come out.

photo 032_zpsqbz6imwg.jpg

photo 033_zpsu2s0efli.jpg

photo 034_zpswu1xhldy.jpg

photo 035_zpslcd7pkp6.jpg

photo 036_zps7q7gdymu.jpg

photo 037_zps4tam1j2z.jpg

photo 038_zpsxsmnumuq.jpg

photo 039_zpst5fqeqqi.jpg

photo 040_zpsy1b2ggug.jpg

photo 041_zpskd53oppb.jpg

Last hill!  Then it was flat and downhill to the finish after that.

photo 042_zpsuvyldri7.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Post-race sausage wraps and beer. Girl Scouts were also there selling some Girl Scout cookies. Munched a sausage, drank my beer and wandered around getting photos of the ‘happy finishers”, some folks finishing after me, volunteers, supporters of the participants, etc.

Yay beer!

photo 052_zpsvnimockv.jpg

I 'raced' in with this lady on the right after the finish.  She finished ahead of me by

photo 043_zpsr0en8oxn.jpg

photo 044_zpsc0u2a3c5.jpg

photo 045_zpsqra8yrq0.jpg

photo 046_zpsecguxs3c.jpg

photo 047_zps6c9pnphb.jpg

My very green friend, Michael...having fun with it..

photo 048_zps1foknh7z.jpg

photo 053_zpsog9elxcj.jpg

photo 054_zpszvcirmku.jpg

photo 072_zpszx88tcvc.jpg

photo 073_zps3dm8thba.jpg

photo 049_zpsgsjcfcc8.jpg

photo 050_zpsxykhocog.jpg

photo 055_zpspaphxhyd.jpg

photo 056_zpsuqdndjfh.jpg

photo 058_zpscze56yhq.jpg

photo 059_zpshakvipvi.jpg

Making my old-man self look good...  

photo 060_zpsvp69508i.jpg

Hey doggies, that is not your best side!

photo 062_zpsw3od9iqr.jpg

That's better...

photo 063_zpsz2mm9tn8.jpg

photo 064_zpsnsib5s8x.jpg

Me and my very favorite running lady, Bernadette.  We've known each other now almost 20 years and have been doing a lot of the same races for about that long too.

photo 067_zpsxvqp0dla.jpg

Speedy Bernadette, as usual, placed in her age group

photo 068_zpsbpwblzdf.jpg

So did Green Michael...in 21-something!   The gentleman on the right was first in my age group of 60-64. I think his time was 20-something, sheesh!

photo 069_zpshw0h8akv.jpg

The Hat Lady also got a medal

photo 075_zpsc0lwezez.jpg

photo 070_zpsv2v0gkbi.jpg

This young lady was very happy to finish ahead of me for a change, lol.  Usually I stop on the course, take photos, and then apparently at past races we've done I pass her back and finish ahead of her. Today she finished before me, congrats to her, and glad I could make you happy today! 

photo 071_zpssaq7ahj4.jpg

photo 074_zpsnltbblap.jpg

Nice to be a 'city-wide' member of the YMCA, which means I can use all 10 Y's in the San Antonio-Boerne-New Braunfels area.  So after the i left the race area I went to the New Braunfels Y to shower and change before I got home.  But once I got there, I said  "Eh, I'm here now, might as well do something"...so I went ahead and got in my weight training circuit  - which I am supposed to do for my spinal arthritis at least once a week, very specific sets to help my supporting muscles, etc., ..but I've been slacking off a bit in this department (shhh, don't tell my doc  ).    Then got my shower, stopped to get some lunch and take it over to my wife Gail who was working a fair this morning..and then FINALLY got home..and felt like 'my boys' here...just lie down and do nothing, lol...

photo 003_zpsvxcqiw2z.jpg

EPILOG

Athlete Guild always does a great job with their events. Especially love their race bibs; they are small so will pretty much fit anywhere, and also have the timing chip on the back of the bib, so none of those annoying shoe timing chips to have to put on, my fingers can never quite grip those little tie things with those chips; like these ‘timing bibs’ mucho better! Nicely laid out course – and lots of folks afterward told me they appreciated that downhill just before the finish – nice post-race goodies, and beautiful weather for it all. This is the 2nd time I’ve done this Rockin’ R 5K course and I’m sure it will not be the last.

MUCHO thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, EMTs, course set-up and race timing/results folks, etc! All the folks who do all the work to make this one happen for us participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Lots of green outfits, hats and body paint.  Looks like people were out to have a good time and they succeeded.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Lots of green outfits, hats and body paint.  Looks like people were out to have a good time and they succeeded.

We like to party in Texas!  Beer for breakfast after a race is common.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt