Beginners and Beyond

Fermented Friday Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gail called and the birthday dinner for her friend got postponed from tonite.  Where Gail's friend lives - only about an hour from San Antonio but it's up in Texas Hill Country - they are still getting some windy, rainy, and occasionally hail weather.  So Gails friend sent out a message to all the guests and told everyone just to stay home tonite off the roads and be safe and we'll do it another time.  Probably a good idea, Texans are horrible drivers in really bad weather.  Crazy how it can be so nice down here in San Antonio but just an hour away the weather is going nutso.

Oh, Robert, I feel for you on the vertigo, I would not wish that on anyone, not even my ex-wife, and that's saying something!  I have what is called BPPV (you can read about it on the internet, it is a weird type of vertigo), but luckily mine is pretty infrequent and only occurs when I'm in the prone position, thank goodness.  Glad you were able to run.  My doc told me that in my case with my type,  running and walking actually help with vertigo  - and can help preclude an episode too possibly, but no guarantees - so I try to get at least a small walk in every day, even on my running days. I usually go for my walk right before I go to bed, just a nice easy walk around the neighborhood and that seems to help me sleep better too.

Actuall, obiebyke, if you rest too much your hamstring can tighten up  - it's kind of like arthritis, if you do nothing the joints 'stiffen up' - so my PT told me to get moving at least sometime during the day, even an easy walk will help keep it loose.  It's not gonna cure it, of course, but at least you won't have it stiffen up on you either.   Good luck!   Thanks for the fermentation allowance, lol.  I won't need it much, I don't drink that much anymore - not like when I was young and crazy and overseas in the military and we young whippersnappers would be at it just about all night long and still be able to go to work the next day.   I can't do that anymore!   Ahh, youth, when you think you're invincible and are going to live forever.  Looking back at some of the crazy stuff I did in my 20s, I'm surprised I'm still alive to tell about it. 

PAD, if you eat kimchi, you are a braver man than I am, lol.  I remember that stuff when I was in Korea.  OMG.  Talking to some of the Korean ladies who just finished eating that stuff, you had to lean waaay back from them just so you wouldn't catch on fire! 

Have fun with your 6, Zelanie. So what's your daughter going to do all day long next week while you are still in school?  This sounds like it could be trouble...

Safe trip, HsM!  Hey, when you're in Baltimore and if you have time, go visit Fort McHenry and watch the presentation about the National Anthem.  It is really good.  But also very emotional/moving, so take some kleenex with you.

Congrats on a great run for you, Mitch!   Have fun with Bella tonite.

But, Phillie, if the weather gets really SUPER bad and apocalypstic, what if there is NO tomorrow?  You better run tonite.      Hope the weather behaves for you.

Happy anniversary, Jack!   Hey, maybe you and DW should go on the class trip to Mexico with him for your anniversary....I bet that will just thrill him. 

OK, Lauren I have no idea at all what 'program in R' means.   From the sounds of what you said, maybe I don't want to know either.  Good luck!  Glad your whatever-the-hell-it-was is feeling better!

Well, Damaris, glad you were not in traffic when that happened, could've been a lot worse.  Glad you are safe and uninjured.  It is a pain, though, dealing with insurance, auto repair, etc.  Good luck!   Hope your run goes fantastic for you today and makes you feel better about it all.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Got our 9 mile LR in this morning.  70F, 35DP and a nice breeze.  Doesn't get any better.  Last mile was our fastest.  Ran a little on the bridle path just to make it interesting, but DW doesn't like it when I'm out of her sight.  Otherwise it was an uneventful run, just a lot of traffic for a Friday.

Glad you're doing better, Obie and Lauren.

Happy Anniversary, Jack.

Sorry about the car D. Did you convince hubby to move to Chicago when you were here?

Have a great party and race tomorrow, Scotty.

Glad you are running again, Robert.

Nice 4 PAD.

Yay to DD for finishing school year.

Have a nice trip HsM.

Enjoy the Bella run, Mitch.

Hope the storms hold off for you, Margo.

Awood, maybe you can get a job at FFF.

Docket_Rocket

Unfortunately, no.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

Thanks, Scotty. That's some good advice.

Actually, obiebyke, if you rest too much your hamstring can tighten up  - it's kind of like arthritis, if you do nothing the joints 'stiffen up' - so my PT told me to get moving at least sometime during the day, even an easy walk will help keep it loose.  It's not gonna cure it, of course, but at least you won't have it stiffen up on you either.   Good luck!   

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, I have 10-13 miles to run today, I was hit from behind at the parking in Broward (while exiting the parking), my new car does not look so new anymore, and I got the wrong breakfast and lunch order.  Maybe I should just get under the covers all day?

Yes, these are definite signs you should crawl in a hole and pull it in after you!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Unscheduled day off for me.  I had planned to run with 2 friends this morning, and they both bailed on me by text at 6AM!  So while I pondered my new plan, my hubby offered to make me chili & eggs - what could I do?

Damaris, sounds like you should go back to bed for the rest of Friday the 13th.

Jack, happy anniversary!

HopesMom, have a great trip.

Mitch, nice run, hope today's is good too.

Docket_Rocket

Yes, these are definite signs you should crawl in a hole and pull it in after you!! 

With a handful amount of martinis, right?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Jack and Mrs. Jack, Happy Anniversary!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

+1. Yay!

Jack and Mrs. Jack, Happy Anniversary!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

From the Internet.

With a handful amount of martinis, right?

That is on my agenda for this evening. I would just walk home from work and get an early start but it is pouring and I forgot my umbrella.

From the Internet.

And happy anniversary to the Klompuses! Wishing you many more to come!

SheCan

Jack-- Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Jack!

Docket-- oh my...I'm sorry about your car being run into.  Are you okay?  Hope you can get the car fixed.

Did 6-1/2m at the gym today.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson