Beginners and Beyond

Gulf Beach HM - short(ish) recap (Read 92 times)

delicate flower

Today I ran my first HM since knee surgery (been 7 months since surgery).  This was my goal race for the year.  Old PR was 1:45:00, set one year ago today.  Today I ran 1:36:05, which was good for an  8:55 PR.  I went into the race wanting to get below 1:40.  I figured 1:38 would be nice (7:30 pace).  I thought 1:35 would be great but I'd need everything to go perfectly (it didn't).  Strategy was to keep the pace a little under 7:15 and see how that felt.  It's an out and back course on the shore and is mostly a straight shot.  I lined up in the third row and ate a gel.

1 - 7:08.  Side stitch began right out of the gate.  WTF.  It never got bad but never went away, so I had to deal with it for 13 miles.

2 - 7:09

3 - 7:07.

4 - 7:14.  Running on the boardwalk now.  Nice views.  Lots of wind.  Some random common folk to weave through.

5 - 7:20.  Realized I would not be able to hold a pace below 7:15 for another 9 miles, so I stopped pushing for it.  Ate gel # 2 of 2.  The leaders went by on the other side of the road.

6 - 7:11.  Hit the turnaround in a cul de sac that was also a water station.  Realized immediately that I had been aided by a tailwind the first half of the race.  Now I'm running into it.  Urgh.  15 mph, I'm guessing.  Not terrible but enough to piss me off and beat me up a little.

7 - 7:21.

8 - 7:31.  Wind.  Go away, wind!

9 - 7:37.  Starting to get pretty damn tired.  Got chicked and latched onto her as a wind shield.  Thanks, lady!

10 - 7:28.

11 - 7:34.

12 - 7:48.  I'm feeling gassed and ready to end this race.  I couple of inclines slowed me way the hell down.

13 - 7:20.

13.1 - 7:11 pace.  The race finished on the beach.  Running on beach sand = not cool.

OA 37 of 563

AG 6 of 47.  Five people beat me.  I'd like that to be fewer.

So I'm happy with the result but the execution wasn't great.  The splits are ugly.  I wasn't at my best today.  My legs didn't really have the kind of pep I was hoping for, and I figure the wind and cramp didn't help.  I can do better than this, but shit, ya can't complain about an 8:55 PR.  I've got another HM in four weeks and will be looking to PR again.  Don't get me wrong though, I am freakin trilled with this race.  I think I can say my knee has healed.

My next marathon is in May and now I need to start thinking about what kind of finish I might be able to shoot for after another eight months of training.

Got home and ran four more miles.

(cross posted and sorry for the whoooring!!)

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Congratulations! That is a sweet PR! Hope next time you can skip the whole side stitch problem and really smoke it.

Baboon's doctors: We have rebuilt him!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

PADRunner

Congrats! It's got to be a bionic knee.

happylily

CONGRATULATION! What a fabulous PR, Phil! And a great come back for you, simply amazing. You did great and more great things are to come for sure. Never mind those damn splits, just look at your overall ranking, wow! Bravo! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

outoftheblue

Outstanding job Phil and congratulations on a great PR!   Very few races are perfect, and I think your splits are totally acceptable given the tailwind/headwind situation.   It's no joke fighting the wind on tired legs.

Life is good.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Big time congrats Phil! An almost 9 minute PR when you're already running sub 1:50 is incredible! You have been fast since coming back from rehab. I would definitely say it's healed. Hopefully everything aligns for you at your next HM and you can see what your full potential is.

- Andrew

LRB

Your splits look fine to me, and actually, great.  Not sure what you were expecting there but despite running into a headwind the second half of the race, you manged to keep them in a nice grouping.

I know there is that need (trust me I know), but you have nothing to critique here giving where you came from, that is a damn good race!

As far as your whooring don't apologize, just sing;

Imma 'ho

you's a 'ho

she's a 'ho

he's a 'ho

we some 'ho's

wouldn't you like to be a 'ho too!

delicate flower

Thanks for the comments!  I love you guys.  Big grin  I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining...just sayin' it could have gone a little better.  Crap, when I first signed up for this race, I did so hoping I'd be able to break two hours by now.  I am very happy to have done so well.

It was kind of different being so close to the front of the pack.  Since it's an out and back, you see all the other runners behind you after you make the turnaround.  That was kind of cool being on the other side of that for a change.  

<3

Little Blue

Wow, nice job!  And good to know you're way faster than the random common folk. Wink  Congrats on the huge PR and the successful healing!

LRB

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining...just sayin' it could have gone a little better. 

We understand.  Congrats on moving up in the pack!

delicate flower

Wow, nice job!  And good to know you're way faster than the random common folk. Wink  Congrats on the huge PR and the successful healing!

Heh...those were just beach goers hanging around the boardwalk.  Not sure they all realized (or cared) that a race was going on.  Confused

<3

delicate flower

Shirt (long sleeve) and medal for folks who like that sort of thing (like I do):

Yar scurvy.  Walk the plank, and such.

The rope was a nice touch.  Smile

<3

Little Blue

Heh...those were just beach goers hanging around the boardwalk.  Not sure they all realized (or cared) that a race was going on.  Confused

Oh, THOSE common folk.  Well then, that's OK.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

You did a great job! Your training has really paid off! That's a bummer about the side stitch - any idea what caused it? The finishing on the sand must have been tough on tired legs.

Nice shirt and medal!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

happylily

Aww! Such cool medal and shirt!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010