Beginners and Beyond

Tell me not to run today. (Read 266 times)

From the Internet.

Blah. My running has been going pretty well for the last few weeks. Keeping to soft surfaces, stretching and massaging my often-tight lower leg muscles, strength work for my shins/calves. But I made the unfortunate mistake of starting my run yesterday on concrete going downhill (I was cold) and BAM. Shin pain in the left leg is back Sad With an accompanying lump, no less. I've just requested an appointment with a sports medicine center (convenient online form means I have no excuse to put it off). I'm still, totally crazily, contemplating whether I should try a short run after lifting this afternoon. That would be dumb, right? Sometimes I hate being a running addict :/
    kbrks

Rest  -or-  Lift then go wild on the exercise bike.

Shin pain is the one type of pain you don't want to F with.

From the Internet.

Truth. Le sigh. I'm not done pouting yet but considering adding swimming to my routine as cross-training.
        redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Agreed!  Rest it is.  And don't forget to learn from this.  Do NOT mess with concrete, downhill, cold, etc.  Sometimes I get stupid too and it's usually the difference in a couple minutes of walking or warming up that can cost you.

Question..... Do you do leg extensionscurls leg curls?

Randy

runmomto3boys

Rest, for sure.  I'm sorry you are battling this business again.  Arrrrghhh!

andrew jerald

I am the same way, I will run when I shouldn't be and will be limping all day after that. I usually only pull muscles so I feel pretty lucky.
              happylily

I'm so sorry! Listen to everyone and rest. Have it checked for sure if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Now, my own experience with shin pain must be sort of out of the ordinary? I had them for maybe 8 months when I started running. In one leg mostly (the longer one). It was probably due to the fact that I was building up the mileage too quickly and not resting. The pain was so bad when I would start my runs that my gait would be altered. But after the 4th mile, the shin pain would go away. Maybe because that area of the leg was by then warmed up? After 8 months, the shin splints disappeared and it rarely comes back, now. So, my question would be: why is it so imperative to stop running when experiencing shin splints? I've been telling my SO (a newbie runner) to suck it up. Am I sending him on the path to injury?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

There are a lot of aches and pains newer runners may have to go through.  I ran through hip bursitis so painful I limped and winced with every step.  Then again, a doctor had told me that running wouldn't make it worse so if I could tolerate the pain, I could run.  So I ran.  Deciding whether to run through something is a delicate issue but I have always asked these questions.

Does it hurt worse when I run?  If running makes it worse, then running is a bad idea.

Does it go away after a half mile or so?  In that case, I just keep running.

Does it get better with rest?  I hurt my left hamstring in January, 2011.  Even after taking a couple of weeks off, it still hurt.  I hurt my Achilles tendon in July, 2011 and missed six weeks.  When I started running again, that damned hamstring still hurt.  And it still hurts today.  So, if rest doesn't make it better, then I'm going to run.  The Achilles didn't get better with rest and I went through a month of physical therapy with it but I started running again even before it was completely healed because six weeks off hadn't made it better.  A month of physical therapy did.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I'm so sorry! Listen to everyone and rest. Have it checked for sure if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Now, my own experience with shin pain must be sort of out of the ordinary? I had them for maybe 8 months when I started running. In one leg mostly (the longer one). It was probably due to the fact that I was building up the mileage too quickly and not resting. The pain was so bad when I would start my runs that my gait would be altered. But after the 4th mile, the shin pain would go away. Maybe because that area of the leg was by then warmed up? After 8 months, the shin splints disappeared and it rarely comes back, now. So, my question would be: why is it so imperative to stop running when experiencing shin splints? I've been telling my SO (a newbie runner) to suck it up. Am I sending him on the path to injury?

Theres an article in this month's RW about that very thing.  The MD consulted there is adamant about resting.  I've run through problems and I've also suffered greatly by continuing to run through them.  I don't know that there's a solid answer there as I've seen endless similarities.

Sometimes the answer is yes.  Sometimes the answer is no.

(shrug) 

Randy

From the Internet.

Thanks guys. I don't mean to be a drama queen/attention whore, but I know I'd probably try to rationalize my way out of resting if I don't make you all hold me accountable, haha. Then I'll just be embarrassed if I end up making it worse. I did end up having a good lifting session so that was nice.

Redrum, I do not do leg extensions or curls but I'll think about adding them if it would help. I'm doing a bastardized dumbbell version of Starting Strength at home plus dumbbell calf raises and toe raises, but I'm finally maxing out on what I can do at home for some lifts so I'll be moving my sessions into the gym sometime in the near future.

Lily, my shin pain is sorta-similar. Only in one leg, doesn't bother me at all while running, if I do feel a twinge I can pause and stretch it out briefly and be fine, but after running too fast or on hard surfaces it's tender (usually starts after an hour or two, or even longer). I A. am mildly paranoid about stress fractures and 2. move my two feet/legs somewhat differently (less flexible in my left ankle, among other things), so it would be nice to get a medical opinion and figure out if there's a way to overcome my weird biomechanics. 

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I highly endorse them.  Provided they are on a good, safe machine.

I started doing them about a year ago, consistently and was doing them specifically for runners knee but I think it helps stabilize the entire lower leg and knee combination as I just feel so much better the run following my leg workout.

Keep it moderate.  I do 2 sets of 10 for each movement and don't push it to failure.  My long run usually follows my weight workout so I remind myself this ain't bodybuilding, it's just exercising.  I do these after squats which are certainly the single best exercise you can do, but I don't push it there either.

When I skip extensions/curls, I feel that I am worse for it.

Randy

I'm the same way as you.  I always tend to over do it, but you know what probably will happen if you get out there today, so you know what you need to do to avoid something serious, which would suck worse than taking one day off.