Beginners and Beyond

Why do so many runners frown upon the TM? (Read 237 times)

I just strongly prefer running outside. I'd rather not use it, but, for hill repeats and tempo runs, I don't have another choice:/

CrisRuns

Hey, whatever works.

No frowning here.  In fact, I'm dying to get one.  With my husband's schedule, and me being a stay at home mom, it sure would help me be able to run more consistently.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

shibarunner

i think a lot of people simply don't like the TM so the way they talk about it may seem like they look down on TM training.

Right now I am watching "Breaking Bad" during my TM runs. I put a TV with Netflix in front of my treadmill so I didn't have to suffer through commercials. Now I love treadmill running.

As an injury prone runner I can regulate everything inside on my TM. I certainly can't do that on urban, sandy, icy, and frost heaved New England roads.

Through my Garmin which I attached to the TM, I can monitor my cadence and heart rate. In that perfect running environment I can precisely make small changes to my running and have a flawless training log at the end of it.

In fact, it has been years since I have enjoyed running so much.

SheCan

I just don't enjoy running on the treadmill.  It's certainly not to diminish those people who do.  Running on the TM is a good way to stay in shape especially when the weather or your schedule otherwise would prevent going outside.  I don't own one, but when I've been to the gym, I really found it boring.  I guess I just don't like exercise for exercise sake.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Better I Leave

I enjoy my TM. I "outgrew" my old one and just upgraded to a Sole F85. Very solid machine. My schedule/obligations don't give me much room to run outside except for on the weekends and I dare not run these windy, shoulderless mountain roads at night. As long as I have music, I can "zone out" and do my thing. Last night I grabbed my tablet and watched "Serenity" while running...That was fun. I might try that again. Having my own home gym also provides me options. Sometimes I'll run a mile, quickly hop off, knock out some heavy squats on the smith machine, hop back on the TM, run another mile...repeat.

One thing I "think" a TM cannot provide is preparing the runner for impact against hard pavement/concrete. I believe that is why I was in so much pain for so long after my 1st HM in 2011...I ran exclusively on my TM and never ran on pavement/concrete which of course was what the entire course consisted of in Oakland.

Docket_Rocket

And wind resistance, weather, humidity, snow, etc.  Doing all your runs on the TM might affect the outcome.  Not saying it shouldn't be done, but that it does affect you when racing on different conditions than you trained.

I enjoy my TM. I "outgrew" my old one and just upgraded to a Sole F85. Very solid machine. My schedule/obligations don't give me much room to run outside except for on the weekends and I dare not run these windy, shoulderless mountain roads at night. As long as I have music, I can "zone out" and do my thing. Last night I grabbed my tablet and watched "Serenity" while running...That was fun. I might try that again. Having my own home gym also provides me options. Sometimes I'll run a mile, quickly hop off, knock out some heavy squats on the smith machine, hop back on the TM, run another mile...repeat.

One thing I "think" a TM cannot provide is preparing the runner for impact against hard pavement/concrete. I believe that is why I was in so much pain for so long after my 1st HM in 2011...I ran exclusively on my TM and never ran on pavement/concrete which of course was what the entire course consisted of in Oakland.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

And wind resistance, weather, humidity, snow, etc.  Doing all your runs on the TM might affect the outcome.  Not saying it shouldn't be done, but that it does affect you when racing on different conditions than you trained.

Agreed.

happylily

True. But never doing one's speedwork at the right paces, because the conditions outside do not allow for it, is really not beneficial to one's legs. You do not train your legs for the proper fast turnover. Then, chances are that such a runner will remain slower longer.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

True as well.  However, I don't suffer from that down here, though.  When it's hot and humid, I train by HR and use that pace instead.  Like my coach says, adjusting for weather = paces in cold weather.  I am fortunate not to have snow and your Winter weather so Miami is basically an outdoor running place.  Unless it rains (100 days of the year) in which case I sometimes have to go on the TM or swim (run) in 4" of water.

True. But never doing one's speedwork at the right paces, because the conditions outside do not allow for it, is really not beneficial to one's legs. You do not train your legs for the proper fast turnover. Then, chances are that such a runner will remain slower longer.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Having said that, me doing TM paces is not the equivalent of my paces outside anyway.  Like I said, I can easily do low 9mm on the TM and that is 2mm FASTER than what I do outside even in teh Winter.  IT's just too easy a workout for me because of the conditions of the TM vs my outside.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

I'm happily in the middle. I do most of my weekday training on the mill. Like Lily I feel that it helps me hit the right paces, either fast enough for speed work or slow enough for recovery or easy. I get outside when time and our schedules allow. I almost always do my long run and/or weekend runs outside. The balance works for me. I also can more closely track the quality of my runs on the mill (exact distance, incline, pace, heart rate, etc) and compare from one time period to the next because the conditions are the same. So my winter versus summer running on the mill doesn't show a lower heart rate because of the decreased temperature but because I actually am fitter. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Trail Monster

double post

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

The treadmill is my best friend when it's cold as hell in the winter (yes, I know I'm a wuss when it comes to running outside in the cold) and over 5000° in the summer.

Don't believe everything you think. 

LRB

Having said that, me doing TM paces is not the equivalent of my paces outside anyway. 

I agree with this completely.

Nothing I run on the TM is indicative of what I can/cannot run outside.  I therefore take my TM paces with a grain of salt, and instead rely on my outdoor paces/performances for reference.

I get the whole calibration thing and all of that, I just think running on a TM in general is easier, or requires less of an internal motor in some aspects.