Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins - We have Free Admission Today Only! (Read 208 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

A big hello to pewpewpew!

Kristin  - good job getting the myrtl exercises last night . You could also do side lunges - they are good lateral strengthening movement. There is also a lunge where you lunge front, front diagonal, side, back diagonal, back, then go back thru them the opposite way - make sure your lunging leg always has a bend in the knee.

Yesterday I finally got my bike set up on the trainer - I had to change the back tire to make it work. I did 30 minutes on the bike, myrtl, and other assorted body weight exercises, theraband for the foot, stretching, and planks. I did the planks during the instrumental parts of karaoke songs!

Have a fun Friday!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Morning Penguins!! I will be praying for all you injured peeps!  I hope you are all back at it soon!

guatav- I am proud of you for keeping with excersing during your injured time, I don't know if I could be that determined!

I have a rest day planned today! I plan on a long run tomorrow and I am trying not to over do it since I took so much time off over the holidays!! So resting in bed until I have to get ready for work!

Happy Friday all!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Jen2011

Good morning, Penguins!  Happy Friday!

Thanks for getting us started Gustav!  Sounds like a great workout!  I love the incorporation of karaoke!

Kristi, enjoy your RD, and I hope the LR tomorrow goes well!

I haven't had a chance to read the rest of yesterday's posts, but I hope you all had a good day!

AFM, I did get up earlier this morning and hit the treadmill for a quick mile.  I'm going to try to get up a little earlier each day and keep adding time on the treadmill so I eventually I'll get to where I need to be.  Today was supposed to be a RD, but I decided it was important to start building that early morning habit gradually.

Hope you all have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

His Slowness

Happy Friday Penguins!

Thanks again for kicking us off Gustav.  I hope you heal soon and get back on the road but it seems like you're doing a great job with the other workouts.

Kristi - enjoy the rest day and good luck with the long run after the holiday.

Jen - congrats on the early start!  I almost hit the alarm and rolled over this morning.

I did get out and get is a short stroll in 28 degrees this morning.  The sky was clear and the stars and moon were really bright.  No wind so it wasn't bad.

Bill

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!  I have 5 recovery miles and weights tonight.

Gustav, nice bike session.

Kristi, enjoy your LR tomorrow.

Jen, nice mile.  I don't run in the mornings and no matter what I do, it won't work out.  Hope it does for you.

Bill, nice workout.  Enjoy the nice weather.

Have a nice day, everybody.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

Gonna do a few easy miles sometime before lunch, maybe throw a few strides in to stay loose.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning penguins!

I posted late last night, but in case you dont feel like going back to yesterday's, I made it through yesterday with no IT Band pain at my knee during walking, even stairs. But my PT friend told me to give it one more day before running. So if there's no pain today I get to yry a run tomorrow yay! expecting my foam roller to arrive today too

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Did 6M with last 4 in rain. Running on a partial indoor track and get drenched anyway.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Thanks as usual for starting us off.  Thanks for making my fiance feel welcome as well.  The bicycle setup sounds cool, but I have to ask; why karaoke music?

Kristi - I have my first long run in a while tomorrow as well.  It's not super long, but I'm looking forward to it.

Jen - Good call on building that early morning wake up time.  I've been doing the same all week, and got 3.4 miles on the treadmill today because I got up at 5.  Now, I just have to work on getting moving a little faster.  I was still kind of sluggish, but before the holidays I was up and at em ever day at 5 ready to roll.

Bill - Way to hit the road early.  Our residential roads are still a bit sketchy.  They're fine for driving.  So, the city isn't messing with them.  For running though, you better be able to see where you're planting your foot.

Docket - Enjoy your 5 recovery miles.

D - Sounds like you're having a pretty light week.  Another race coming up, or are you just recovering?

Kristin - Hoping for a 100% recovery, and some steady and consistent training in the future :-)

AFM - I got up early and did an easy 3.4 miles.  I have 10 miles scheduled for tomorrow, and then I'm going to take a day off.  The knee problem I was having seems to be taken care of, but I keep having nagging little niggles that pop up.  I've been looking back at my past training, and I think I'm going to keep up the cross training that I added recently, but cut the mileage back a bit.  When preparing for my first HM I peaked at 42 miles for 2 weeks, but my mileage was significantly lower for most of my training.  Also, I always had rest days.  Then, I had my running streak of 160 miles in 28 days.  That's when things started getting a bit wonky.

Based on that, I think I'm going to add a rest day on Friday and Sunday like I had before.  I'm going to revamp my next 11 weeks and bring my mileage back to a reasonable level.  I think the real problem is that I'm still 240 pounds.  So, diet and cross training are going to be very important to reduce the impact of the mileage.  I don't want to be stupid about my training and jeopardize my November marathon.  My goal is to be down to 220 by my March 24th race, and start base building again after that race.  Ultimately, 200 pounds by November would be optimal.  200 pounds for me was my sophomore year of high school, and I was pretty darn thin.  We'll see then what a comfortable base is, but I'm assuming that 40 pounds over a 40-50 mile base is an extreme reduction in overall impact.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy Weekend !!!!  Think I might be running solo today.  Hope I don't get lost on the track.

Philliefan33

Good morning.

SRD for me, and I think I need it.  During yesterday's run my legs never really felt warmed up, it was like running on frozen stumps.  Part of my planned running route was a mess of icy ruts so I cut out that loop, but was too lazy to add anywhere else so I didn't quite make my planned 6 miles.  I have a LR of 8-9 planned for tomorrow.

I'm really hungry today...I'm already considering what part of my lunch I might want to eat, and it's only 8:30 am!

tracilynn

TGIF pengs

I did my easy 3 last night and today is a SRD and Im glad because I have a cold.  My left shin is bugging me again too.  It hurts in the front and the back.  Im afraid its gonna worsen and cause me to take time off while Im trying to train and build.  Each run it gets a little bit more sore.  Grrrr.   Gonna do some mrtyls later and the leg circuit #1

Take care everyone

~~~~~~~

Traci

His Slowness

Good morning.

SRD for me, and I think I need it.  During yesterday's run my legs never really felt warmed up, it was like running on frozen stumps.  Part of my planned running route was a mess of icy ruts so I cut out that loop, but was too lazy to add anywhere else so I didn't quite make my planned 6 miles.  I have a LR of 8-9 planned for tomorrow.

I'm really hungry today...I'm already considering what part of my lunch I might want to eat, and it's only 8:30 am!

Must be something in the air.  My legs felt like lead this morning and I just raided my lunch for the yogurt.

Bill

hog4life

I'm hoping for 5 or so when I get up, but for now, it's off to bed. I'll catch up on some personals later. I guess I'm a goof, what is a myrtle?