Beginners and Beyond

Do you run or race? (Read 84 times)

workinprogress11

I'm mostly just running these days but working my way back up to being in race shape. 2014 was a year of personal and injury suckitude but I'm hoping to get back into race shape in 2015.

My favorite race distance is the half marathon.  I can seem to just instinctually pace those well. I can't say that about any other distance I've raced.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I run a lot of races but most of them I take it easy and do it for fun. I just love the race atmosphere. I pick a few a year to "race" though and really give it all I have. My favorite is definitely the half marathon.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MI_Tim

Most of us aren't fast enough to race.  We just run time trials at races.

Initially I ran for my health and scheduled a 5k as motivation to stick with it. I still sign up for races regularly to help with motivation. If I didn't have a race on the calendar ahead of me, I'm pretty sure I'd really slack off. I'm still not convinced that I actually enjoy the act of running. However, I love the sense of accomplishment I have when I stick to a plan, finish the run, and go farther or harder than my brain wanted.

I think my favorite runs are shifting to the 5 - 8 mile range. Used to be 3 would be my longest mid-week run. Now that's what I do when I have to talk myself into a quick run, just to say I ran.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Most of us aren't fast enough to race.  We just run time trials at races.

Speed has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of attitude and approach to racing. My last 5K was only a tad under 27 minutes but I was racing and I'd lay odds that the runners trying to outkick me to the finish line were also racing.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MothAudio

Speed has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of attitude and approach to racing. My last 5K was only a tad under 27 minutes but I was racing and I'd lay odds that the runners trying to outkick me to the finish line were also racing.

Amen. My 20 marathons have ranged from 3:05 - 5:06 and I raced them all except for my three Bostons, one dress rehearsal and my debut. My 5ks last year were THREE minutes slower than usual but I raced them just the same as I did in 2013. I think when you've lived a certain way for so long it's difficult to suddenly switch gears mid-stream just because your weapons aren't as powerful.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

I think the word "race" will be defined differently by people. Are you going for your fastest time that day or are you racing AG or those around you?

I agree with Tim. Most people today don't "race" by my definition, they time trial. It is all about getting that PR. Just read the race reports. Most people will compare how they did with their PR. If they happen to get an AG award that is great but generally they aren't aware of who they are racing for it during the race.

I started running for health reasons and will continue to do so. I will race my races to the best of my ability that day and only a few times (with my wife, daughters) have I "run" a race.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I do a lot of what are called RACES - finished my 66th race of the year this past Sunday - but I certainly don't RACE them. These days, I'm pretty much a fun-and-finish runner, take my camera with me to the events, take photos before, during, and after, and post my race reports.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Robert31320

Team TJ

I've run a lot of races, all for fun.  I'm not nearly aerodynamic enough to "race".

Running for TJ because he can't.

bluerun

Super B****

I think the word "race" will be defined differently by people. Are you going for your fastest time that day or are you racing AG or those around you?

I agree with Tim. Most people today don't "race" by my definition, they time trial. It is all about getting that PR. Just read the race reports. Most people will compare how they did with their PR. If they happen to get an AG award that is great but generally they aren't aware of who they are racing for it during the race.

I started running for health reasons and will continue to do so. I will race my races to the best of my ability that day and only a few times (with my wife, daughters) have I "run" a race.

There are races I run for time (what you're calling "time trialing"), and there are races I run for place.  I don't like those much.  They're too stressful. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

I don't race often as I find them too hard and stressful. But to keep track of my progress, I do race sometimes, and up until now, I gave everything I had in every one of my 4 races. Maybe some day I'll register in races and take it easy, but not for now.