Beginners and Beyond

Age and its effect on core temperatures in athletes (Read 86 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That would certainly help explain why I end up in the med tent after so many of my summer races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

As I get older, I get colder.  Now somebody get me a blanket and GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0

Actually, a pretty damned good movie.

Nothing says "get off my lawn" like an M1 Garand Rifle! Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Walk-Jogger

There's no mystery about what happens.

Your body cools itself by convection.  ... 

As you get older, your heart won't beat as fast and your blood vessels become stiffer and won't dilate as much so you can't regulate your temperature as well.  And there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Actually there IS one thing you can do about it - lose some body fat. My body fat is in the single digits, and a fair number of the blood veins in my arms, legs and a few on my gut are at the surface, bulging and visible through the skin, and quite effective at cooling me off when needed. Most people  who complain about the heat have no visible veins in their arms or legs because they're all hidden under a blanket of insulating fat. Fat is great for cold weather, but bad for warm weather. I actually ENJOY the feeling of running in the heat - my muscles work so much better over 60 F than they do at under 50 F. And I usually pass a lot of people in warmer weather runs.

And one more thing, whenever I run races in warm or hot weather, a high percentage of the other runners will be wearing stupidly hot clothing choices that help hold in or even create more heat. Wearing cooler clothing and in lighter colors should just be common sense and not even have to be talked about.

I am way happier running a race of any distance at 70 F  than 40 F.  Your mileage may vary . . .

Retired &  Loving It

LRB

I am way happier running a race of any distance at 70 F  than 40 F. 

Yes, there are many like you, including me...for the first 1600 and some odd meters.  After that, it's lights out!

happylily

I do better (especially mentally) in warmer conditions (not hellish, though), than in colder too. But for a half and a full, 35-50F is best in the end. Although for a full, I have done not bad in up to 72-74F. Less than 30F and more than 75F is difficult for me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Rungry!

This sounds like me, a number of years back. I was really, really out of shape and my face would turn beet-red and I'd feel sick whenever I pushed myself. After working out regularly for a month or so, my body "remembered how" to sweat, and am now a proficient sweater

When my DD tried to take up running  a few years ago, she could not sweat at all. She would run 4-5 miles and come home all flushed and dizzy and feeling like she was going to pass out. Not a drop of sweat on her. But one day, a few months later, she called me to tell me the good news: she had started sweating, finally, and was feeling so much better! Yeah for gross sweat! 

Jen