Beginners and Beyond

Erie Marathon RR (Read 121 times)

happylily

Damn it, Jay. You made me tear up this morning. This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. I am touched. And coming from you, it means a lot. You are so talented in many ways, yet so humble all the time, unlike most of us here. Knowing you is a joy. Thank you for making this place your runner's home.

What a beautiful race! I am soooo proud of you! Such intelligent training (though that LR at close to MP reminds me of something I'd do. Not everyone will agree with this workout, you know Big grin), such clean race execution (in a funny way), such great justified confidence. All marks of an exceptional runner.

Thank you for writing this RR for us. Not only was it funny and such enjoyable reading, but it is also full of wisdom. You have become a teacher and an inspiration to all of us, (((Jay))). Boston will be happy to see you again and I can't wait to read about more greatness from you! Félicitations, Jay!

P.S. I am a bit sad for Jenny... How did the race end for her?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Congrats on your incredible race, and very interesting rr.

Mmmmm...beer

Outstanding job!!  Sounds like a summer of hard training came together perfectly on race day, great work!  As mentioned, you definitely have a knack for writing, great RR! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

tracilynn

Wow, so fast. Just can't imagine it. I couldn't run a 6 anything even if my house was on fire. Awesome read. I agree it should be submitted. Congrats to youCool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Ric-G

congrats! great race report...from the rock star hotel treatment to your celebratory dance at the end (hope there is video of the dance)...anyway that was an xlnt race and negative split too...great stuff...enjoy your recovery.

marathon pr - 3:16

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome execution of that race Jay!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm not sure what to say other than congratulations.  That's an amazing result.  I think it was a gutsy call to stick with that pacing strategy, and it paid off.  Awesome job.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

congrats! great race report...from the rock star hotel treatment to your celebratory dance at the end (hope there is video of the dance)...anyway that was an xlnt race and negative split too...great stuff...enjoy your recovery.

I would also like seeing a finish line video. Smile

- Andrew

happylily

Jay, you should consider posting your RR in L&O and RW as well. I know that there is some friction between L&O and some of us here at times, but those guys can also appreciate awesome racing like yours. As for RW, MothAudio would be so happy and proud of you...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Will run for scenery.

Jay, I love reading your RRs.  Speed is a world I've never seen and know little of, but here I feel like I'm getting a little "insider's glimpse" of it.

After watching how carefully people train and plan and execute (or not !) it really is baffling/exciting to see how your race went so strangely better than you intended.

Enjoy your success.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

TakeAHike

That was fun to read.  Perhaps you didn't run exactly as you planned, but the result was amazing.  i enjoyed reading about your interaction with other runners.  I guess that happens in smaller races when you are near the front.  Most of my goal races are huge events and I am always surrounded by a faceless, constantly changing mob. I  rarely get a chance to interact with the folks around me.   Your experience sounded very cool.

Great stuff.  Congrats.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Bravo.

Otherwise I've got nothing.

lagrandegazelle

Wow! Amazing race, great report! You're very inspiring!

Incredible race Jay! Really great job. Sometimes there is more inside than we know and everything clicks.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Just to reiterate what others have said: great race and awesome report.

It was better than bryson. I'm going to read it again and again!