Beginners and Beyond

"Situationally" aware Sunday Penguins! (Read 29 times)

Docket_Rocket

I do Chalean Extreme, a set of videos that include cardio and weights.  I only do the heavy weight circuits.  Google it and look at some videos from Chalean.  I have done it more than once and you see results after about a month (and I'm only doing the weights, imagine the whole program).  I used to do her cardio/kickboxing/dance workouts called Turbo Fire (which I love) so I moved to these when running didn't leave any more time to do TF.

N-Bug, congratulations on your PR! That's an amazing improvement, and no death march! Smile

Docket- Hope your 6 and weights go well tonight. What kind of routine do you have for weights?

Zelanie- I'm glad you're having some improvements with your knee. How often are you having PT?

Dave- Hope the miles go well tonight! Have fun with the house and yard work. I'm catching up on laundry today, boo.

Ginny- Yard work definitely uses different muscle groups! Take it easy today.

Bin- Sorry to hear about the headaches! Heat related?

Cherie- Enjoy your rest day!

Baconista- Nice work on the miles! What kind of plan are you following?

Jack- Knotty calves don't sound too pleasant, but I hope your 10K goes well tomorrow.

AFM- Not sure today! I should take a rest day, but I'm frustrated and motivated. A girl from my hometown posted that she ran a 10K this morning and finished in 1:06. She didn't train, she didn't do anything! Argghhh! I've been running for 10 months and I couldn't do close to that. Deep breaths, lol.

I'm about to head outside to babysit the chickens. I need to integrate some 5 week olds with the outdoor teenagers, without any bloodshed. I usually have a 4 week limit of having chicks in the house, but I need about 3 more weeks to get them all used to each other. Ready to have the house back. A couple of the ones in the house are definite roosters too, and 4 outside. At this rate we'll need to build a bachelor pad to keep the peace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Note to self.  "Do not run 11 miles,  2 days after running 8.  (even if the weather is perfect)."

GinnyinPA

Jerry - I hear you.  I ran 10 today, because it was such a perfect day, and it was a struggle.  Not so much because of yesterday's race, I think, but the yardwork really wore me out.  I knew I should take it easy today, but this is the best weather all week, and I couldn't resist.

Zelanie

Coralie -  I am scheduled  for twice a week,  but with the holiday only got once last week and once this week.

As far as those people who don't even train and are still faster,  remember that the people who tend to stick with something are those who put enough effort into it to know its
          value.  And I know who will have a faster 10k PR down the road!

hog4life

Ginny, congrats on 17 years. Happy Anniversary! Nice work on the 10 too, I knew you could do it.

Jerry, those big runs back to back will get easier.

Jack, good luck tomorrow!

Ive been out walking my dog quite a bit while at my FIL's, and I have about figured out that her pulling me is aggravating my knee. I wonder if that accompanied with pushing my luck on high mileage shoes is what caused my knee to start hurting. I have 2 pairs that are just over 600 miles, from now on though, 500 will be the rid stance to retire them. We are hoping to leave in the morning before 10:00 am for the long ride home.

Sloooow.

3 miles on the treadmill done Smile 12.5 total for the week which falls short of my 15 mile goal, but I'm takin' it.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Coralie: You WILL get it next week.

I did four miles with older DD, nice and easy. I got some new New Balance 860 V3 and they were nice.

Happy Memorial Day Smile

GinnyinPA

Coralie - I understand the frustration of feeling slow while others seem to jump right in and immediately do really well.  It's hard not to compare sometimes.  I know I'll never be fast.  I'm too old and I don't have the build for speed.  What I try to keep in mind is how unlikely it is for me to be a runner at all.  I was never athletic growing up.  Active, sort of -- I walked and swam and wandered the neighborhood -- but I was never an athlete.  PE was my worst subject: I usually got Cs, no matter how hard I tried.  I was a reader, not a runner.  In college and afterwards, I pretty much stopped all physical activity, except occasionally dancing.

Then somewhere around 30, I discovered hiking, and found that I loved spending time hiking and camping in the mountains.  I was slow, but steady, and I found I could go a lot farther than I dreamed possible.  My body might hurt, but I had the will to persevere, no matter what.  That led to walks from Georgia to Maine, Canada to Mexico and then Mexico to Canada.  But still, I never considered myself an athlete, just someone who loved backpacking and was lucky enough to do a lot of it.  Then my husband got injured,  and I knew that the long distance hiking lifestyle was over for both of us.

I started running almost by accident.  An online acquaintance wanted company while she did c25k, and I needed a challenge.  She quit, I didn't.  I found I really enjoy running, and though I'm still very much a beginner, I learned that it is very rewarding to do better in a race than expected, or to reach a new distance milestone, or just have one of those great runs where you feel like you can go miles more than you planned.  When I got hurt, I was surprised at how devastated I was at the thought of never running again, and how thrilled I was when I finally was able to start again.  And I've really enjoyed seeing the progress I've made over the past seven months.  So though I'll probably never run a 6 minute mile or do a 3 hour marathon, I haven't finished finding out what I am capable of doing yet.  I never thought I'd be able to walk the Continental Divide - but I did.  So maybe I'll do a marathon someday, or an ultra of some sort.  Or maybe I'll manage a 25 minute 5k.  Who knows?  The fact that I can run at all still amazes me, considering where I started and where I was when I was your age.

You don't know what you're capable of doing, with time and practice and the will to work on it.  I guarantee you'll be surprised.

Docket_Rocket

What Ginny said.  Don't compare yourself to others or their progress.  You don't know me for a long time, but I used to be way faster than I am now.  Then, I got diagnosed with asthma and I saw my paces go down by 2mm in less than a couple of months.  I should be running marathons at 3:45-3:55, yet I'm still fighting to break 4:30, that's how bad it has been for me.  There came a time where I had to decide what I wanted to do: just do the best I could or keep getting frustrated about times that will never come back.  Just do the best you can do and work with whatever strengths you have.  It will get better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Thank you for sharing your journey with us, Ginny!  And of course you too, Damaris...  i'm always amazed at what people on this sight have gone through to get to where they are now.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Sloooow.

Ginny- Thank you so much for sharing! You've come through so much, it's so inspiring. I knew I could vent here, and thank you for humouring me. Mexico to Canada? Wow. I can't even imagine.

Docket- I don't think I could run if I had to deal with everything you do. Between the hellish weather, allergies, asthma, I just couldn't. I guess I thought you had always dealt with asthma, it really sucks it is a recent thing.

By my frustration, read jealousy, lol. I've barely been running long as all, and I'm still 40lbs overweight. I can only improve, all is good.

Bin Running

Jerry - I hear you.  I ran 10 today, because it was such a perfect day, and it was a struggle.  Not so much because of yesterday's race, I think, but the yardwork really wore me out.  I knew I should take it easy today, but this is the best weather all week, and I couldn't resist.

Haa.. Jerry...

Headaches might be heat related.. Not sure.. Don't really get those much..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar