Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins Please Move To The Front Of The Line (Read 37 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

AFM - I was awake by 0530 but dozed on/off until there was enough daylight to see were I was running.  With icy paths I'd just as soon really be aware of what is ahead.  13.13 miles for me today.  Not a bad pace either, total 2:36:39...  Feel good.  I had to work to keep it up the last 4-5 miles.   I'm finding I'm dealing with nausea after my long runs.  It usually sets in about 20 min after.  I may be hydrating too quickly after the run (and I do hydrate during).  I took in one gel, at the half way point, so that may play into it.

What are you hydrating with?  I'm just wondering if it's a sugary sports drink like gatorade.  If you throw gatorade on top of a stomach that has already been hit with a gel, it could be too much sugar to process on a fairly empty stomach.  Just a hunch.  I use a low sugar electrolyte fizz tablet that you just mix with water.  It allows me to get my electrolytes and water without the nausea that I experience when I drink sport drinks.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

my sister is trying to turn me into a real runner.

1- she is trying to convince me to either run or pace her for part of a 50 miler this summer.

2- she sends me a link to the Austin Marathon (only a 2 hr drive from home) that says if I register monday for a race that is next month that 2014 is free.

what the hell should i do?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

GinnyinPA

T-Rod - when is Austin?  Sounds like a good deal if it's something you'd like to do.  As for pacing your sister, or entering the race yourself, do you have time to do the training properly?  Do you want to be doing ultras?  It's a little soon, but if you have time to train, and it's something you'd like to do - why not?

Gustav - as someone who is also coming back after a long layoff, I know that the hardest part is to restrain yourself.  Your head tells you what you used to do, and your body may not object - at least not at first - but eventually it will if you push too hard.  I started back into running in August.  Picked up the pace too quickly and by the third week my body was objecting.  I had to back off completely for six more weeks.  If I'd been more cautious, I wouldn't have had to wait so long.  In November, when I started again, I did a modified c25k that kept my running segments short until I was sure I wouldn't have aftereffects.  I did my first 5 mile run this week, and while a part of me says "Hurray" the other voice says, "But that's just a short run.  You haven't even started doing long runs yet."

AFM:  it's a beautiful day today, but I already overdid my runs this week as I'm trying to transition to a 4 day a week schedule.  I wish I could go for a run, but had to settle for our usual dog walk.

T-Rod - when is Austin?  Sounds like a good deal if it's something you'd like to do.  As for pacing your sister, or entering the race yourself, do you have time to do the training properly?  Do you want to be doing ultras?  It's a little soon, but if you have time to train, and it's something you'd like to do - why not?

Austin is pretty close to the middle of Texas. its only a 2 hour drive from my house, so I could get away with only a hotel on saturday night hotel if my wife is willing to drive me back home sunday after the race. There is a hal higdon plan for running 2 marathons with only a month between them. it doesnt look to painful.  I need to check in with the boss and see if she wants to go to austin for valentines weekend Smile

As far as the ultra goes. I think I am more likely to be able to train to run for a longer time than to learn to run fast. I am not sure what I need/want to do long term. I think telling kids at school I ran 50 miles sounds cooler than I BQ'd (I dont think I could ever BQ) so maybe ultras are in my fufure.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Vance, I got your PM.  My nausea post run was dehydration.  My nausea during runs is another story.  Hope you figure out what it is.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

GUYS I RAN TODAY!!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Not much - 5 laps at the track, alternated walking a lap and running a lap, so total run distance was 2 laps/0.54 miles. Stuck to the outside track to minimize tight turns. Those of you who told me to come back with walk/run intervals (Bin, Coralie, Scotty) - thanks for the suggestion, I think it'll be best for me to keep this up for a couple weeks to make sure I don't fall back into bad form habits. Leg feels great, it was wonderful to get back out there Smile

hog4life

I guess everyone is different with Gatorade and nausea, I can chug two cans after running and it doesn't bother me. I will even do the GU's with Gatorade during my LR's and have no issues.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ten hard miles done. Rest time...

Enjoy the weekend.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm back from my run!  That was tough, but awesome.

T-Rod - Whichever you decide, I'm just going to sit back and read RR's and be impressed.

Ginny - Before I finished reading your post, I was already thinking, "Go for a walk!".  Then, you had already done that.  I hope you enjoyed the nice weather.

Lauren - Congrats!  I hope things continue to go in the right direction for you.

Mitch - I'm an odd ball I think.  I love gels, but gatorade is too sweet for me.  Combine the two, and I'm like BAAHHHHH!!!

Jack -  Good to see you man!  Any races scheduled?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

6 miles with DW.  Really nice day on the bike path.  SRD tomorrow.  Maybe take a trip  to LRS for new shoes. Both pairs probably getting near 500 miles.

tracilynn

my sister is trying to turn me into a real runner.

1- she is trying to convince me to either run or pace her for part of a 50 miler this summer.

2- she sends me a link to the Austin Marathon (only a 2 hr drive from home) that says if I register monday for a race that is next month that 2014 is free.

what the hell should i do?

You do both!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Awood... I have two scheduled, both in April. One is a 5k that is at Santa Anita race track. It actually finished on the track! I also have a half marathon on April 28 in La Jolla, CA.  A friend is trying to get me to do a 10k trail run with him but it is 1750' of elevation gain up and then turn around for the second half. I looked at the elevation profile and it is straight up and down so I don't know if my knees would like the downhill. Plus, it is a month before the half and I don't want to get injured. I will likely pass on that one. I hope you are doing well!

Here is the run I did today.

tracilynn

yayayay Lauren!!

just did an easy 3. Shin felt good before and during run but now it's throbbing like a MOFO. icing now. Ugh. Supposed to do long run of 5 tomorrow.   Going to take it really slow maybe even some run/walk intervals.

Doing this on an iPhone is so frustrating! It's autocorrecting everything!  Even words that are spelled correctly.   This took me like 20 minutes to type.

Dinner at garlic garden tonight ( aka olive garden)

See just then it changed "tonight" to "iChat" Wth! And it changed just to jaundice. WTH  I'm done. Bye :-)

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damn Jack.  That is 10 hard miles.  I live in Indiana.  You would have to look really hard to find hills like that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Lol. That run is right by my house. I ran and met DW at DD's track practice. They were running hills in a few cities over and I drove home with them. Believe me, I was wishing for some flat areas!