Beginners and Beyond

HM help please (cross posted from running 101) - RR added (Read 96 times)

runningmum

AKA bear2009

Hi everyone.

I was hoping for some advice for my upcoming half (next weekend).  I am trying to work out my strategy for the race.  My training has been way down this cycle due to a number of reasons, but I have remained injury free (which is my primary goal for the year).  The two options I am debating are:

- go out fairly slowly, but try to speed up towards the end if I can, walk up hills/water stops as needed

- use a walk/run method from the start, but again, if feeling good at the end, speed up/drop the walk breaks.

Option number 1 is my usual strategy when I run HMs, and usually seems to work well, but I am feeling more undertrained than usual, and am wondering if I should try option 2 this time.

Some background - I have been running for about 4 years, completed 8 HMs, and have been frequently injured.  Decided this year to cut my mileage back and increase cross training, and this seems to be working so far.  I had a very strong, hilly 7 mile race about a month ago, where I felt awesome throughout and at the end.  I then crashed on my long run the following weekend (I think it took me longer to recover than expected).  Ran a 10 mile LR 2 weeks ago, then 8 miles this weekend.  Pace on the run/walk 8 mile was 10 sec/mile faster than the 10 miles fully running.

Goal for this race is to finish it strong (not going for a PR this time)

Thanks in advance.

Clair

2013 Goals:

1. Start, stay, and finish the year uninjured!

Hip Redux

How did you feel on the 10 milers straight running vs the 8 miles of run/walk?

runningmum

AKA bear2009

With both, I felt pretty good.  After the 8 miles run/walk I felt like I could keep going for some time longer, the 10 miles I felt close to my limit.

2013 Goals:

Hip Redux

The conservative approach would certainly be to do the walk/run strategy... though for comparison's sake my ten milers before my half always felt tough but I managed to run the half (just kept a conservative pace, your #1 strategy) without stopping and finishing strong and so I think you could do that also - esp. since you are a more experienced runner.

However - I think considering the fact that you were faster with the walk/run strategy probably pushes it in that direction.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in too, but that's my thought.

runningmum

AKA bear2009

Thanks, Oski.  Appreciate the input.  Will continue to mull on it through the week.

2013 Goals:

Love the Half

It's a race.  It's supposed to hurt.  I'd run the whole thing.  If you can run 10 miles, you can run 13.1.  My argument against run/walk has always been that folks become psychologically dependent on the walk breaks and then they post wondering how to run without them long, long after they have become physiologically unnecessary.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

It's a race.  It's supposed to hurt.  I'd run the whole thing.  If you can run 10 miles, you can run 13.1.  My argument against run/walk has always been that folks become psychologically dependent on the walk breaks and then they post wondering how to run without them long, long after they have become physiologically unnecessary.

^ This

Worse that can happen is that you end up walking some parts of the last few miles. But at least, you will have fought a brave fight.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Don't call me Buttercup!

I think it depends on what is more important to you - your finish time, or saying "I ran a half marathon" (vs.  run/walking)   If you're going for speed and you think you'll peter out just straight running, then I'd go for the run/walking.

Also - I am super surprised that you only have a 10 second pace difference between run/walking and running.  My pace difference is well over a minute - I am a MUCH faster run/walker than straight out runner.  But everybody's different. =)

Good luck to you!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

runningmum

AKA bear2009

Thanks LTH, Lily and Di.  Very good points to ponder.  I can definitely run 10 miles.  I have run 13.1 miles without any walk breaks several times previously.  So maybe I just need someone to tell me to suck it up and do it.  Smile

2013 Goals:

runningmum

AKA bear2009

I think it depends on what is more important to you - your finish time, or saying "I ran a half marathon" (vs.  run/walking)   If you're going for speed and you think you'll peter out just straight running, then I'd go for the run/walking.

Also - I am super surprised that you only have a 10 second pace difference between run/walking and running.  My pace difference is well over a minute - I am a MUCH faster run/walker than straight out runner.  But everybody's different. =)

Good luck to you!

I tried with a 4:1 run:walk ratio - probably would increase the run portion for the race, if that is what I choose to do.

2013 Goals:

Hip Redux

She's done 8 HMs.  I'm pretty sure in this case she's not going to be become psychologically dependent with one race.

The risk of injury all out racing when undertrained is another factor to consider, runningmum - really only you know the risks there based on how you're feeling.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I say go for it and only take walk breaks if absolutely necessary. You know you can cover the distance. Smile

Docket_Rocket

I would try to run the whole thing and walk only when you have to.  You might surprise yourself and not walk at all.  Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runningmum

AKA bear2009

Just wanted to thank all those who gave me advice and support.  I ended up deciding to run the whole way, taking breaks as I needed.  I set myself 3 goals: A) Under 2:20xx, B) Under 2:30Tight lippedx and C) Under 2:36:39 (last year's time on the same course).

I knew that miles 5-10 would be hilly (Flying Pig), so decided to go a little faster for the first 5 miles, as I knew I would lose time on miles 5-10.  This strategy seemed to work well for this race, as I did end up needing to walk up parts of 2 hills.  I also took my own water, so that I could fuel as I wanted, so I didn't stop at any of the water stations (until around mile 10, where I took a little gatorade).  The last 3 miles of the race are pretty much downhill, and I flew down these hills, with 2 of my fastest miles being miles 11 & 12.

My final time was: 2:17:25, my second fastest half marathon ever, and the fastest I've run since October 2011!

2013 Goals:

Just wanted to thank all those who gave me advice and support.  I ended up deciding to run the whole way, taking breaks as I needed.  I set myself 3 goals: A) Under 2:20xx, B) Under 2:30Tight lippedx and C) Under 2:36:39 (last year's time on the same course).

I knew that miles 5-10 would be hilly (Flying Pig), so decided to go a little faster for the first 5 miles, as I knew I would lose time on miles 5-10.  This strategy seemed to work well for this race, as I did end up needing to walk up parts of 2 hills.  I also took my own water, so that I could fuel as I wanted, so I didn't stop at any of the water stations (until around mile 10, where I took a little gatorade).  The last 3 miles of the race are pretty much downhill, and I flew down these hills, with 2 of my fastest miles being miles 11 & 12.

My final time was: 2:17:25, my second fastest half marathon ever, and the fastest I've run since October 2011!

way to go. I was there and the hills kicked my butt. It was a great race. The town was super supportive and the race was well organized.

Keep up the good work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas