Beginners and Beyond

WTF!!!! Calf pains again.... (Read 100 times)

Dad on the run.

Maybe. But I absolutely hate how my Saucony Triumphs feel. I feel like there is way to much under my feet. Sad

Perhaps you're just not cut out for minimal shoes? I never have calf issues but when I was running in the Kinvara, my calves were very, very fatigued. So I have up on the minimal trend and I'm much happier in 8-10mm drop shoes.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Maybe. But I absolutely hate how my Saucony Triumphs feel. I feel like there is way to much under my feet. Sad

Did you have calf issues with the Triumph?

You don't necessarily have to go automatically back to that shoe. There are tons you can choose from. One shoe I like a lot (if you're neutral) is the New Balance 890v3. (And the v2). It's got an 8mm drop. That made a big difference for me and the shoe is not very heavy. It might end up being a choice of whether you prefer to run with calf pain whether you have to give up the minimal thing.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

MrNamtor

so i realize your issue is how to prevent it and not what to do about it which is what i answered.  Plus i gave you the answer everyone knows.

To prevent it i would say eccentric calf raises and throw it eccentric squats for good measure. I think DaveP said something like this already.

To prevent it i would say eccentric calf raises and throw it eccentric squats for good measure. I think DaveP said something like this already.

I think I know what you mean to say here...but calf raises are actually concentric contractions. Heel drops are eccentric.

This link explains it pretty well: http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/eccentric-heel-drops.html

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          Luke79

Most people these days suggest to NOT stretch cold muscles before running. However it may be beneficial to stretch afterwards, or during (stop & stretch after a brief warmup period).

I tend to stretch after a run, (1) standard leaning against the wall calf stretch, (2) same position but slightly bending knee of extended leg, stretching the achilles.

I should have clarified.  I agree with not stretching cold muscles, hopefully people don't do that much.

I warm up before stretching, before my runs.  I used to not stretch before my runs and ran with pain for a long, long time because I thought I was Anton Krupicka lol.

Love the Half

The minimalist fad caught on as people who are older, overweight, and new to running try to imitate what those who are younger, whippet thin, and have been running a decade are doing.  Does anyone besides me see a problem with that rationale?  I think some minimalist running is good and I have a pair of 3.5 ounce New Balance 5000's.  However, I also know I'm 50 years old, I was 230 when I started and even at 155 I'm not at a truly competitive weight (I'm 6'0"), and I've only been running five years.  That's why most of my everyday runs are done in Asics Nimbus which are just about the most cushioned shoe on the market.  I might add that I also have Mizuno Wave Ronin at roughly 7 ounces for tempo runs and races longer than 5K.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Dad on the run.

I understand this completely. Its not really a fad thing with me as it is I simply don't like shoes that much. I wear them to work I come home and as soon as I'm in the house I"m barefoot. If I have to put something on my feet its my flip flops. I try to be smart about what I wear when I run. If I'm going to keep it short and really slow I might wear my five fingers. If I want to keep it short but faster I will wear my minimus and if I'm planning on running 4+ I will wear my Brooks pure Flow. Anything with more cushion that that just doesnt feel right on my feet.

The minimalist fad caught on as people who are older, overweight, and new to running try to imitate what those who are younger, whippet thin, and have been running a decade are doing.  Does anyone besides me see a problem with that rationale?  I think some minimalist running is good and I have a pair of 3.5 ounce New Balance 5000's.  However, I also know I'm 50 years old, I was 230 when I started and even at 155 I'm not at a truly competitive weight (I'm 6'0"), and I've only been running five years.  That's why most of my everyday runs are done in Asics Nimbus which are just about the most cushioned shoe on the market.  I might add that I also have Mizuno Wave Ronin at roughly 7 ounces for tempo runs and races longer than 5K.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Love the Half

Regardless of how things feel, if you are running in minimal shoes your calves are taking the brunt of the landing impact and that's likely what is causing your problems.  As MJ said, you have to decide whether you want to run with calf pain or not.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MrNamtor

I think I know what you mean to say here...but calf raises are actually concentric contractions. Heel drops are eccentric.

This link explains it pretty well: http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/eccentric-heel-drops.html

Yes. I meant the negative movement of the calf raise and I guess eccentric calf raise is an oxymoron.

Jimmie- I would switch shoes. My shoes weight a ton and I am happy with them. This comes a fat guy who was a fat kid that would play basketball in the street barefoot. I dont like shoes, but I dislike pain also.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Mostly harmless

If this was just a one time thing, aside from the one other time that sounds like it was a long time ago, is it possible that you were dehydrated? I get muscle cramps and tightness when I don't drink enough.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

MrNamtor

If this was just a one time thing, aside from the one other time that sounds like it was a long time ago, is it possible that you were dehydrated? I get muscle cramps and tightness when I don't drink enough.

That's supposed to be a myth.