Beginners and Beyond

Half marathon before marathon, on Hansons (Read 54 times)

onemile

Thanks onemile, this is all good stuff & very helpful.

My GMP is pretty aggressive based on existing race times, but I have been able to hit all the workouts so far. Like your 2nd time, I have also added a lot of miles on top of the plan; in fact the whole thing is pretty unrecognizable other than Tues-Thurs, which I have been following closely. So I may be at risk of overtraining, will have to try to be careful with how I handle this half, and the taper. I was already worried about the taper being too short, so I may have more questions for you then.

As it is, some of the comments here are giving me second thoughts about running this half. But I did pay the money already.

I think if you can hit the paces for the workouts (even if it feels too hard) you'll be ready to run that pace on race day.  The first time around I was worried about the short taper but on race day I felt awesome. It felt so much easier than in training.  The second time I arrived at taper too fatigued and it just wasn't enough.

I think if you can hit the paces for the workouts (even if it feels too hard) you'll be ready to run that pace on race day.  The first time around I was worried about the short taper but on race day I felt awesome. It felt so much easier than in training.  The second time I arrived at taper too fatigued and it just wasn't enough.

I'm late to this discussion but I have (sort of) followed the Hansons philosophy for marathon training and I'm actually working with one of their coaches for my fall marathon. I agree with onemile above. I used to do tune-up races but I don't anymore. If I am hitting the paces on my workouts I am pretty comfortable knowing that I'm right where I want to be. Maybe that comes from experience but I'd rather stick with my plan.

I have come to think that a half marathon can be disruptive in a marathon training cycle. At least for me. I don't think I could actually race one sufficiently while following the program and if I crash and burn it just puts that mental doubt in my head. And I'd rather not worry about having to recover from a race effort before heading back into training.

Love the Half

I'm late to this discussion but I have (sort of) followed the Hansons philosophy for marathon training and I'm actually working with one of their coaches for my fall marathon. I agree with onemile above. I used to do tune-up races but I don't anymore. If I am hitting the paces on my workouts I am pretty comfortable knowing that I'm right where I want to be. Maybe that comes from experience but I'd rather stick with my plan.

I have come to think that a half marathon can be disruptive in a marathon training cycle. At least for me. I don't think I could actually race one sufficiently while following the program and if I crash and burn it just puts that mental doubt in my head. And I'd rather not worry about having to recover from a race effort before heading back into training.

Agree completely.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).