Beginners and Beyond

It's only Tuesday Penguins (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

It's a museum day for me today. Perot Museum of Nature and Science, and The Dallas Art Museum.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

No run for me today so the streak is over at 45. On a better note, DW and I are off to Laughlin, NV for a few days of some beer, bingo, and R and R.

Keep cool out there.

on my way to badass

Good morning PAD, Jack and Penguins! Intervals done last night. Bike or RD today. You could swim in the humidity out there.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Really great run/walk this a.m., in spite of the 74 degree temp at 6 a.m., 93 percent humidity and 74 dew-point.   I tried out my new ASICS Noosa this morning on a combination of paved roads and off-road trails.  These shoes are designed for triathlon running and are much lighter than my ASICS Nimbus but even so they seemed to support my 190+ pounds pretty darn well.  They felt really good on my feet and I felt like I was 'flying', lol.   I did one of my regular routes and noticed that during my run segments I got to a farther point than usual before my watch beeped for me to take my walk break.  Is this because the NOOSA are lighter than the Nimbus so I was moving quicker or because I have recently lost some more weight and am now down under 200?  Or maybe a combination of the two?  Whatever...I'll take it!  Ended up with a 40 minute run - usually about 3.3 miles for me with that time - and this time my distance for that time was 3.5 miles.  Not  speedy for a lot of runners, but a bit speedier for me than I have been lately on my training runs.  Nice!  I like these Noosa shoes.  I don't think they'd support all my fat for running every day but once a week or so would probably be okay and maybe I could use them in a race or two.

They are quite colorful little puppies too...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

PAD, if you see Ross there, give him a big shout-out! 

Jack, you do realize it was 105 degrees yesterday in Nevada.  Hope they have lots of a/c there for you!

Congrats on your intervals, StoneFence.   Happy biking today if you get out there.  Maybe you could attach one of those desk mini-fans to your handlebar to help beat the heat.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

It's a museum day for me today. Perot Museum of Nature and Science, and The Dallas Art Museum.

Ohhhh, I didn't realize you were in Dallas area.  Let me know whatcha think of the Museums.  Maybe I'll try to fit them in next time I'm there.

Jack-- have a great time!!!!  Danged 45 days, that's impressive.  You sure earned your trip.

Scotty-- awesome job on the weight loss.  Were you trying to diet?  No wonder you're enjoying those Noosa shoes-- they have a fun name and they just look happy!

From yesterday:

Ginny--- Oh, I've missed you!  Sounds like your trip is going well.  I had to look up Cape Perpetua.  Wow, it's gorgeous there.  You get to explore such wonderful places.

Today, I ran 9 miles.  I'm still so digging this cooler monsoon season.  I heard someone complaining about how muggy it has been, and I thought it was obvious that they'd never had to run in the Arizona sun before.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

obiebyke

Just a quick check-in. I've been reading, I swear! I've been feeling vaguely under the weather and not making running a priority the past week or so. So tired! I'm hoping to get back to it. I wonder if there's some latent HM recovery going on, from not eating smart enough, etc., right after the race.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  I ended up doing PiYo and 5 TM miles last night.  Today, I will do XT only so more PiYo and kickboxing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

hey y'all 

jack, you and dw sure vacation a lot!  Lucky!  Enjoy

damaris, how do you like piyo? How hard is it?

my husband has been really sick and I've been fighting a scratchy throat 2 days now. I still managed to get up at 6 and run 3 mi.  If I get sick I'm gonna kill him! 

Off to an oral surgeon appt. it's wisdom teeth consult time for my 16 yr old.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Enjoy the museums, PAD.  Science museums are always fun.

Safe trip, Jack.

Enjoy the RD or ride, SF.

Nice shoes, Scotty.

Enjoy the monsoon, Cherie.

Hi Obie.  The running bug will return.

Hi D.  Have a good workout(s).

Hope you don't get sick, Traci.  Don't watch the Last Ship.

DW needs a RD after mowing the lawn, so we will walk.

hog4life

Rest day for me yesterday and today. Today was a 15 hour work day! Tomorrow I hope to do some intervals.

Obie, It took me about 2 months to feel normal after my full back in Dec. It could be very normal to be sluggish for several weeks after any big race. I think we all have different recovery periods.

Traci, I'm so happy to hear you trying to run again, and stay healthy this time, okay? I got lucky, all my wisdom teeth came in with minimal issues, but I think it was because I had the 4  1st pre-molars pulled when I was 13 to make room for my teeth to be moved. I wore braces for a couple of years.

Zelanie

Hey guys!  Call me silly, but I didn't realize that the "canopy tour" for the forest wasn't actually about seeing the forest at all.  It's about ziplining, which is more about adrenaline seeking than anything else.  So I did the zipline and the big "tarzan swing", but realized that I hadn't seen the actual forest during the daytime!  I couldn't come to Monteverde and not go into the forest!  So I checked with the hotel and was able to get a guided tour through the forest this afternoon.  Still no running, but at least I'm being active.  Mostly I feel good after the HM, though I could feel my quads on the downhill parts of the hike for sure.

Ginny- That's so cool that you went to Cape Perpetua!  I lived in Yachats for a while.  It is so beautiful there!