Beginners and Beyond

Is this the oldest track record on the books? (Read 117 times)

Love the Half

Very interesting.  Five U.S. high schoolers, Jim Ryun, Tim Danielson, Marty Liquori, Alan Webb, and Lukas Verzbicas have combined to run a sub 4:00 mile nine times.  However, it has only been done twice against high school only competition - once by Verzbicas and once by Ryun.  Ryun's mark of 3:58.3 run in 1965 still stands.  That's a record that's pushing 50 years.

Fastest Miles in High School Only Competition

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

It may stand forever if they don't start running high school only mile races again. I'm not certain about other states but Minnesota runs the 1600m and 3200m as track standards.

No chance for anyone to run the mile these days.

catwhoorg

Labrat

The Mile is a legacy distance per the NFHS.

The low hurdles record is similar but dates from 1964.

The oldest record I could find quickly was the 200 yards - straightaway from 1961.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TakeAHike

It looks like the list does include converted 1,600m races.  I wonder what it would look like if it included converted 1,500m races.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Walk-Jogger

Retired &  Loving It

The Mile is a legacy distance per the NFHS.

The low hurdles record is similar but dates from 1964.

The oldest record I could find quickly was the 200 yards - straightaway from 1961.

Now that you mention it a lot of records may stand forever if "yards" is used instead of "meters". In my high school days it was the 100, 220, 440, 880 and mile.

Yes I'm old. Smile

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Now that you mention it a lot of records may stand forever if "yards" is used instead of "meters". In my high school days it was the 100, 220, 440, 880 and mile.

Yes I'm old. Smile

This.

You people have issues 

Resident Historian

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

BexKix, Bagel Defender

It's the same reason why I still hold my HS record for the Freshman Mile. It simply isn't run any more. We had one meet that still ran on a 440 track, my freshman year. The next year they converted to metric, so while there were faster freshman 1500'ers (who could certainly break my mile record) there have been no meets to give such opportunities. Such is the way of things, some of us just got lucky. Big grin

Kind of like how Costanza still has the high score on the Frogger machine.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I believe Massachusetts is the only state that still runs the mile as a standard event. Some have converted to the internationally recognized 1500m, but way too many use the bastardized 1600m distance.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Kind of like how Costanza still has the high score on the Frogger machine.

Exactly!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yes I'm old. Smile

We even had the 660. I guess I'm also old. Smile

Yup, my 40-something year old BIL holds the high school mile record for our state and he's quite pleased that it will never be broken, lol.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau