Beginners and Beyond

Who have you met famous in the running world?? (Read 384 times)

Supersono99

xor

I have met eric!

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I've met Meb a couple of times. He's super down to earth and fun to talk to. He encouraged my dd to hold his Olympic & NYC medals. Also met Ryan Hall -we're both Stanford grads, so we chatted for a teeny bit about running on campus.

Angela 

bhearn

I've met SRL.

Coastal

Nobody current, and nobody really famous.  Lisa Martin who ran for Australia in the Olympics in the 80's i think.  Ken Martin who ran for U of O and then internationally for awhile, also in the 80's. 

xor

I've met SRL.

Dude you way more well-known than me.

Joanie.  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

dog person

when I was little, my dad who was a runner back in the day used to take me to a running store in Tacoma owned by Gerry Lindgrin.

I can still remember thinking, what an odd little dude he was.

Kristian

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Bart Yasso at a winter series race back in 2009 or 2010, and Shalane Flanagan at the same RW Half Festival as lilac_jive.

I actually did see Mark Remy before the start of the half, but I didn't go up to him or anything like that.

Peace out!

I've posted these elsewhere, but here you go:

Me (left) with Frank Shorter last June. I grew up near his home town of Middletown, NY. He comes back almost every year for the Orange Classic 10k.

me and frank

Kathrine Switzer at the Empire State Marathon in Syracuse, NY. She was a student at SU (my alma mater) when she ran the Boston Marathon that infamous day.

me and switzer

PRs:

5k -    22:39      12/11     10k -  49:10      11/11

20k -  1:56:56    9/12      13.1 - 1:54:07    3/12

30k -   3:05:54   9/12      26.2 -  5:00:27 10/12

xor

Me and Frank about 10 years ago in Kona.  The other dude is "random Japanese bigwig from the coffee company sponsoring the race."

Sigh.  Happier times.

bhearn

Pam Reed outkicking me at Lost Dutchman a couple years ago.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Got to meet Benson Cheriyout or hower you spell his name.

Buelligan

KarenM and I met "The Penguin" John Bingham at Mile 24 of the Honolulu Marathon

I met John Bingham a few years after you guys did at a 5k in Columbus, Georgia. He ran the race and awarded trophies. I think l was the only one there that had a clue who he was.
                              GC100k

When I was in San Antonio in 2001, the famous ScottyDog and his wife Gail picked me up from the airport and we shared a run and dinner.

I've met and/or run "with" at least 5 Olympic track athletes through local social circles and my running place, but it's a track-intensive here.  Not sure how "famous" any of them are.  e.g., sprinter Wallace Spearmon was in my church class when he was 10 and he was playing basketball at my gym in October.

My son's coach was an Olympian and a US Olympic coach, but I'd never heard of him until he called me about my son a couple years ago.