Beginners and Beyond

Again, Penguin Thursdays? (Read 29 times)

Docket_Rocket

The reason I was looking for another job was because the company I was working for got bought out. He thought he could give me a lowball offer ,and I would be desperate to take it. He didn't know that I had two other companies interested in hiring me at the same time. I went to company B and told them I had an offer on the table. The next day company B made me a much better offer which was a very small raise from my prior job. They also gave me an extra week of PTO my first year.

I remember.  Their loss!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

They just posted updated results:

12th overall

2nd AG

24:36 (1st place ran a 24:07.....UGH!!!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

Talk about first-world problems, I just had to wash lab glassware before I could clean my instrument parts, because all the beakers were dirty!  Oh, the horrors of a Ph.D. washing her own glassware! 

Of course, a good lab tech will assume that his idiot Ph.D. boss didn't wash the beakers correctly ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Wow, chatty penguins today!

Congrats Obie & Awood, great job!! Smile

Jimmy, may I recommend the puke your guts out diet?  I dropped 6lbs with a stomach bug on Sunday/Monday.  Ok, probably not the best method.

No crazy interview experiences here, altho I'm still working the job I got out of the Navy, which wasn't really an interview at all, it was more of a "Hey, we need somebody right now, so if you like what HR offers you, the job is yours" kind of interview. lol  I've had a couple of interviews while looking at other jobs, but all were pretty standard.  I guess you could say the interview for my current position (same company and program that I've been working for, but because it was a new position and we're contractors, I had to interview for it) was interesting, only because it was with my current manager and two coworkers, but they had to conduct the interview and ask all the questions as if we didn't know each other. lol

Oh, running stuff, did 7 miles this morning, feeling great now that I'm past the stomach bug. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Still snowing in Chicago.  Too slippery to run in the streets since they don't know how to drive here and I just don't feel like driving to the track in this white stuff with my spasming back still acting up.  It can wait until tomorrow when I have all day, so I'm stuck at 1 mile for the year.

Congrats Awood.  Really good for slippery conditions.

Can't remember my last interview, Lew.

SheCan

She Can - I'll trade you weather for a couple of weeks!

AFM - I ran my first race of the year yesterday.  I knew going in that I was kind of heavy, and not in the best shape of my life.  I've been running.  Don't get me wrong, but a 30 mile week has been a good week for me lately as opposed to 60.  I've been eating garbage.  Then, there was the forecast.  It was snowing and about 12 degrees.  So, I had a bunch of extra clothes on, and absolutely no traction.  I was slipping and sliding like crazy, but there weren't many people in front of me.  So, I kept pushing in hopes of getting a win.  I don't know the total, but I know 138 were pre-registered.  I finished 13th overall, and 2nd in my age group.  My watch said 3.11 miles in 24:36.  The clock was almost 30 seconds slower.  I can't explain that.  Either way, I was about a full minute off of my PR, but I'm assuming that everybody else was slow too.  The overall winner was wearing his heavily decorated cross country letter jacket, and he ran a 22 something.  I'm betting that he wasn't hungover either like I was.  Even with my weight up, and my mileage down, I think on a dry surface where I could dress like a runner and show up well rested I think I could run a decent time right now.  We'll see.

Wow, Awood... that's really fantastic, especially with that weather.    You and Obie seem to be competing for that Polar bad ass award.  Congratulations on 2nd AG, and 12 overall fantastic!  PS.  I'm too wimpy to trade weather, but if you come here, i'll share.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Nice running, Awood!

I got my 6.2 in at the park again. Last of the "recovery phase" runs. Tomorrow is the first tempo run of the new cycle. Hopefully I am up for it! Also, tomorrow I should catch this year's pace bunny. Can I stay ahead if it for the year?  Hope so!