Beginners and Beyond

My third attempt at a sub-19:00 5k. Three words for that; going, going GONE! (Read 115 times)

Love the Half

'Bout damn time dude.  Welcome to the sub 6:00 club.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Pinktastic

Super HUGE CONGRATS, Rick!   Holy schmoly!  You ran a completely PINK-mazing race!!   I have to say though that I am not at all surprised with your results.   You have been training so well, and you are very naturally gifted so I knew you could do it.   And, I think you've got even faster times to come!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Gratz LRB:

In case everyone isn't already sufficiently impressed, just looking at the results.

LRB was 4th overall, totally outclassing all those anywhere near his age - 2nd place masters was all the way down at #18 OA, 2nd place in his AG was at #22.

Should have taken home 3 awards - 1st Masters, 1st AG, and 3rd OA Men.

I think we have a celebrity in our midst.

Suffice to say, you did get chicked.  Maybe if you try harder on your strides during training you will have a stronger kick

Seriously, I would not underestimate the impact your solid Half Marathon had on your fitness. You mention it in your RR, but a sustained effort at that distance does really improve your ability.  It also works in reverse, I bet you will smash your 10k PR if you tried.  Target for a few 5K & 10K's this summer and then push for a new Half in the Fall, I know you will get it for certain.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, Speedy!  You're gonna need to get one of those "Flash" suits, so you don't set yourself on fire when you run!

Congrats!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Seriously, I would not underestimate the impact your solid Half Marathon had on your fitness. You mention it in your RR, but a sustained effort at that distance does really improve your ability.  It also works in reverse, I bet you will smash your 10k PR if you tried.  Target for a few 5K & 10K's this summer and then push for a new Half in the Fall, I know you will get it for certain.

I race about 16 events during the season which is about two per month save for July and August.  The 10k has had a tremendous impact on my fitness but unfortunately the way the schedule lays out I may not run as many as I would like but yes, it is in there.

Fuzz, I used to marvel at the splits in your race reports so there was inspiration there.

N88, I am hoping you finally have that breakout year racing this season.

Thanks Pink!  Speed work is hard but I really enjoy it.

Thanks SF, Hog and Scott!y

Hi Lene!

LTH,

MothAudio

Congrats Rick. Your report makes me smile. Bravo.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Mmmmm...beer

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!!  Outstanding work Rick!  That is seriously hauling the mail!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Congrats!!!  What an awesome performance.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)