Beginners and Beyond

My God tonight was FREEEZING!!!! (Read 132 times)

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I am not looking forward to my return to the Midwest.

In transit, arriving on time. 

My first race of the year is Sunday... forecast for gun time is 28 degrees with a windchill of 10, which is a bit better than the last time I ran the same race, and it was 14 degrees with a windchill near 0.

I feel like I joined some sort of elite 'sub-zero' club after running last night. Temps were in the 0 to -5 degree range with windchill. I stayed surprisingly warm - but boy did I get some weird looks.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My first race of the year is February 9, still a little 2 weeks away and I am hoping and praying the temps are between 30 and 40 (really hoping for upper 40 degree weather). I might have to warm up with a 15 minute run/jog instead of a 10 minute one.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

In temperatures under high 20s, my go-to stay warm items are:

UA Coldgear mockneck with a few layers over it usually, Nike Thermal tights, Smartwpol socks, Saucony beanie, windbreaker gloves, and a Lululemon neck warmer that I can pull up over my face. For wind, rain or snow I have a waterproofand windproof shell jacket that really helps cut the wind. I love it. I got it from Road Runners.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Walk-Jogger

I'm a wuss, and I admit it. I've run 150 miles indoors since January 1st, which was the last time I ran outdoors. And only did it then because the gym was closed for the holiday. One advantage of running indoors is that I can run about a minute per mile faster than outdoors in the cold, and that my friends is better training that pays dividends come race day. I'm also already acclimated to running for hours in 68 degree weather, so first warm race day of spring, I have the advantage there. So enjoy your virtuous but slow slogs out there in the cold and snow. You're doing something that I can't bring myself to do. I'd give up running before I'd run outside in this weather, this time of year. Clown

Retired &  Loving It

Sharz96

I did my first sub-zero run this morning:  -4F with -12F windchill.

I ran outdoors all last year, but it was a mild winter and the coldest was 0, no windchill.  This was worse, but only noticeably so on the face and hands.  In 0, I was fine with just my gloves.  Brought liners, but didn't wear them.  This morning, my hands felt the cold a bit, even with liners.  And face is much worse with wind.

GinnyinPA

I don't know how you folks do it.  I took the dog for his morning walk at 16 deg. (feels like temp. 2 deg.) and I was wearing heavy fleece pants, a  fleece sweater, vest, down coat, scarf over my mouth and nose, a wool hat and down gloves - and I was still cold (hands and face mostly, my body was on the edge of sweating).  My eyes were watering so much I could barely see.  No way I could run in that.

LRB

Indeed it was freezing. The temp was 32F when I returned from my run.

I see what you did there.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am so excited and cannot wait to get my face mask thing and my warmer jacket. I also need to get some warmer gloves too, the ones have right now are really only for 35 degrees, anything colder and my fingers are freezing. Our weather channel actually said for people to either stay in last night or to dress very warmly if they had to go outside. No wonder I saw nobody else, I bet the people driving past me wondered why the crazy woman was out running.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

RSX

I ran a 12 mile out and back the other day which had a feels like of 20 that included a 20 mph wind. In the beginning it didn't feel bad at all so I took off my hat and gloves. But when I turned around to start a downhill stretch that I love doing, I had to deal with a head wind for 3 miles that was brutal. I'm still hurting from trying to speed up through that stretch. 20 and no wind the whole run I would have been fine.

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

I decided to run today in the "cold" of Atlanta-it was 35 degrees with 15 mph winds; the wind chill made it feel like 22.  I layered up (two long sleeve  tops), wore a cap and gloves and long pants and felt fine the whole time.  The wind in my face the last couple of miles towards home was bad but worth it.  I had to convince myself to go out and not do the DM.  I would have only done 5 on the 'mill.  I did 8 outside.  I wore sunglasses to keep the wind out of my eyes and carried Kleenex to wipe my nose.  Very glad I went out.

Layers really help.

For me, if I can keep my head and hands warm, the run stays enjoyable.  A good winter hat, knit scarf for my face, and warm gloves are mandatory on really cold days.  (Yesterday the "feels like" was -10).  Windbreaker over it all and tall socks to keep the salt grime from irritating my ankles/lower legs, and it's no big deal.

Can't really do speedwork correctly unless the pavement is bare, but that's a whole 'nother thing.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Layers really help.

For me, if I can keep my head and hands warm, the run stays enjoyable.  A good winter hat, knit scarf for my face, and warm gloves are mandatory on really cold days.  (Yesterday the "feels like" was -10).  Windbreaker over it all and tall socks to keep the salt grime from irritating my ankles/lower legs, and it's no big deal.

Can't really do speedwork correctly unless the pavement is bare, but that's a whole 'nother thing.

Yeah, Monday night the only biggest issue was my face. The wind was way too much for my normal winter outfit which usually does just fine in weather even around 15 degrees, but that dang wind was just extreme.

PRs

ninian

Last night it was -15 celsius and with wind chill it felt like -25 apparently. I wrapped up pretty good and for the most part kept warm however I think I need to be wearing a full on ski mask because otherwise its impossible to cover the entire face. I never knew wind blocking briefs existed but I am really going to look into them, was my biggest worry! I did 10km and it was the slowest 10km I have done in a long time, it felt good being one of the only ones out there! Giving it another shot tonight.

Cant complain too much, my brother lives in Winnipeg where it was -25 celsius with winds making it feel like -40!