Beginners and Beyond

Activity levels in mums and children 'directly linked' (Read 68 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

The more active a mother is, the more physically active her child will be, suggests a UK study of 500 mums and four-year-olds.

But many mothers' exercise levels fell way below recommended levels, it said.

Researchers from Cambridge and Southampton universities used heart-rate monitors to measure activity levels over seven days.

Link to BBC article

========================

So being a good example to your kids actually works. Well done to the parents here. Your leading by example does help.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

Interesting that they didn't also follow fathers.   My mom has never exercised a day in her life (unless mall walking is a valid workout), the only reason I was into sports was because of my dad Smile

LRB

My mom has never exercised a day in her life...

My mothers idea of exercising was a belt in one hand and my ass in the other, mostly 'cuz I either would not sit still or keep quiet. 

Actually my mom played basketball in college, but was not active while I was growing up and neither were many (if any) of the moms back in the day.

They made sure the kids got out of the house and did something everyday though.  In fact, nearly the entire neighborhood was very active.  Shit, we spent most of the day gone and only came home to eat.

bluerun

Super B****

Interesting that they didn't also follow fathers.   My mom has never exercised a day in her life (unless mall walking is a valid workout), the only reason I was into sports was because of my dad Smile

I come from pure couch potato stock.  Explain THAT.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

#artbydmcbride

My Mom played a mean game of bridge, but like LRB I was left to roam around outside all day.

Runners run

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I hope they're right and my son follows in my footsteps, it'll be nice having two-legged hiking, running and just all around outdoor activity partner here in a couple of years.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

catwhoorg

Labrat

I did wonder if thats a second grant application. Why do a full job the first time, when you can double dip ?

<Insert generic Least publishable unit complaint>

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

happylily

My mom played tennis before she had me and my sister. After we were born, she quit that sport, but she always took one aerobic class or another. She was tiny but very strong. She was constantly rearranging the furniture in the house all by herself. Based on some pictures of him in his 20s, my dad used to be muscular and athletic. He was a good swimmer. But later, he became overweight, lazy and he smoked all his life.

My daughter is into yoga and my son is a computer geek. His only exercise (under the threat of having his computer taken away from him) is 50 push-ups a day and a few chin-ups. My kids are the opposite of me. I have no idea why.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

My Mom played a mean game of bridge...

lol  maybe that helps with your arm swing in running.

Lily, your kids just have to find themselves, it takes time.  We see it on the forums all the time where people did not get serious about fitness until later in life.  Hopefully your influence will reduce the time it takes for them.

Hip Redux

Lily, your kids just have to find themselves, it takes time.  We see it on the forums all the time where people did not get serious about fitness until later in life.  Hopefully your influence will reduce the time it takes for them.

And even though we all grew up with my dad, I was the only one who really picked up competitive sports.  None of the rest of my 4 siblings are/were big into athletic stuff.  Later in life, my two sisters took up running (one has since stopped because of a hip issue, go figure).

My youngest brother went out and ran a 25 minute 5K in the fall without ever training.  So it's not like he couldn't be athletic if he wanted to be. Damn kids.

delicate flower

My mothers idea of exercising was a belt in one hand and my ass in the other, mostly 'cuz I either would not sit still or keep quiet.   

Ahhh the gold ol' days, when talking back to mom would earn me a backhand across the mouth.

<3

LRB

Ahhh the gold ol' days, when talking back to mom would earn me a backhand across the mouth.

I sometimes wore a shoe imprint across my mouth back then.  lol

O, ditto with my siblings, nothing, and not interested.  They were always supportive of me and my aspirations though.

StepbyStep-SH

I can see how, in today's society, a parent's activity level would be directly related to the activity level of children while they are young - if parents don't take them to the park, the pool, encourage active play, they aren't likely to do it. We don't just send them outside and down the street on their own anymore - especially in the years  before they are 10 or so.

As far as parents' influence on how active we become as adults, I think there are many other factors that come into play.

My parents were active: they both worked physical jobs on a ranch - pitching hay, shoveling grain, building fence, cleaning the barn, horseback riding, etc. Neither had been involved in sports as kids, but they supported my involvement once I was in high school. We lived too far from too-small a town for there to be much opportunity in the way of youth athletics. But as a kid, my physical activity was climbing trees, exploring pastures, riding horses and doing chores.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I wonder how much modern society has an impact on that study.

ie: my mother was not physically active when I was growing up. Aside from taking care of us and being a housewife.  However we (my siblings ) were all highly active.  Like LRB we basically had the run of the neighborhood.  Climbing playing digging

However that was back in the 70s and 80s. Today we are all do paranoid and stranger danger conscious, we tend to hover over our children.  So they only do what we allow. Ie: the more active the parents (mom since she is with them more typically) the more active the kid.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Ironically, my mother gaining a ton of weight and pretty much not taking care of herself are why I took up running. I don't want to end up like her when I'm her age.