Beginners and Beyond

RR- Indy Santa Hustle 1/2 (Read 245 times)

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I ran the Santa Hustle half marathon today in Indianapolis.  My girlfriend and I drove up from Nashville yesterday and the whole way I was guzzling water and taking olive leaf extract to avoid getting the cold she had been battling all week. 

When we got in, we picked up our packet got some dinner and were in bed about 9:30.  It was kind of loud outside so I had a little trouble sleeping but ended up getting about 6 hours in the end.

Woke up a couple hours before the race and had some yogurt, a bagel, and a banana.  Dressed up in the Santa gear and we headed to the start line.  It was about 45 degrees and overcast as we began.

In my past few couple races (a 10k and 12k) I started out way too quick, so I was really trying to go as slow as possible in the beginning.  After a couple miles, my pace was around 12:00 or 12:30, so I was able to hold back.  Between miles 2 and 10 I started to pick up the pace, hitting my race pace of about 11:15 or 11:30.  I ended up passing most of the people that passed me in the beginning of the race and settled in with the few people that I ended up finishing near.  My legs didn't feel bad today but did feel a little tight.  I may need to come up with a better stretching/warm-up routine for before races.

A couple problems with the race. The closed course wasn't enforced very well. I don't know if Indy drivers are just not used to races, but many of them tried to drive on the runners' side of the road and I was almost hit a couple times.  Right after the closest call, this 70-year-old guy running near me flipped off the driver on my behalf.  That kind of made my mile.

Also, they were handing out candy and cookies at a lot of aid stations, but the sight of these sweets kind of made my stomach turn mid-race. 

Around mile 10, I started to really feel it.  Hal Higdon says that "inspiration will carry you the last three miles." This is simply not true, Hal! *shaking fist* My legs felt terrible in the last three miles but a took a couple walk breaks and powered through with some determination. In the last .1 I had a little juice left so I turned it up into a sprint and ended up passing 4 or 5 more people. My unofficial time was 2:43:08. I know for your first race you shouldn't be concerned with time but to be honest, I am a teensie bit disappoint. But I guess it will be good motivation for my training going forward!  Excited to start a new training plan this week!

Docket_Rocket

Sorry for the drivers not knowing what to do.  Congrats on your first.  Don't be disappointed.  All races tell you what you need to work on and what to do training wise.  Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kitteh

Congrats on your first half!

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I've only run in Indy once, but I think the race directors have a lot to do with whether the road closures work or not.  I'm glad you're okay. 

Congratulations on completing your first HM.  I almost signed up for that race just for the shirt, hat and beard. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats on finishing your first half!!

Pics of you in Santa gear?!?!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Supersono99

Congrats. That sounds fun, runnjng in a Santa themed race. You've got a packed schedule coming up, good luck. 

Nice report and race! 

Hal Higdon says a lot of things, ignore most of them Wink

I laughed at "I don't know if Indy drivers are just not used to races"

runmomto3boys

This just cracked me up:

Around mile 10, I started to really feel it.  Hal Higdon says that "inspiration will carry you the last three miles." This is simply not true, Hal! *shaking fist*

Congratulations on finishing your first HM!  I can empathize with you b/c I was a teensy bit disappointed initially w/my first race too.  You are going to nail the next one, though.  This was great experience for you and you ran a good, solid race!  Bravo!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report and congrats on your race! Sorry you were a bit disappointed but IMHO you still did great; and racing is always a learning experience, I'm sure you took something away from this event and it will only get better for you in the future. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Also, they were handing out candy and cookies at a lot of aid stations, but the sight of these sweets kind of made my stomach turn mid-race. 

One of my good friends ran this yesterday. He took a bite of a cookie, then threw the rest toward the sidewalk, where it didn't break. Said it had the texture of a hockey puck. So, apparently you didn't miss much. Smile

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Pinktastic

Congrats on your first HM!   Good luck in your training for the next one!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Ms Chenandler Bong

I ran this race as well!  The cookies and candy were more for a fun effect vs. nutrition.  I agree about the drivers.  The police did a very good job at the main intersections but the neighborhood ones and more minor ones were not blocked.  It's not that unusual considering only 1000 people ran the race.  Costs a lot of money to block roads completely for that long.

Regardless, congrats on your first half!!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Anomalous

Congratulations on your first!

I feel your pain. Lack of proper road closures can be a b*tch. 

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Here are some race pictures, per the request of Kristin!  

Photobucket