Beginners and Beyond

2013 Race PR's : Which One Is More Important? (Read 326 times)

MrNamtor

You left off my favorite distances, the mile and its closest metric equivalent, 1500m. Besides my days of setting PRs are long gone. There are a few of us who have been racing long enough that the only way we'll set a PR is to run something longer than we've ever run before. Since I've raced every standard distance and quite a few non-standard distances from 50 yd to the marathon, the only way I'll set a PR is to move up to ultras.

How about age-adjusted PRs?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

How about age-adjusted PRs?

Not likely. I can't see me running the same kinds of workouts and mileage that I ran 40+ years ago when I set most of my AG as well as all-time bests. For example I'd have to run 21:28 for 5K to beat my AG best or 46:11 for 10K or 1:43:05 for the HM or 3:47:56 for the marathon. The last time I ran sub-21:30 was 12 years ago when I ran 21:05 at age 54.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I went with HM 13.1 only because it is my first race of the year.  Your next PR is always the most important.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

My ultimate goal is to BQ, but I vote 5k since you gotta nail the shorter distance before having a shot at the marathon.  Well, I suppose you don't have to, but it's a good way to measure progress.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Butter Tart

HM because I want to be able to do one in around 2:00 or so before I start thinking about a marathon.

I think 10K might be my favourite distance though.

No more marathons

My ultimate goal is to BQ, but I vote 5k since you gotta nail the shorter distance before having a shot at the marathon.  Well, I suppose you don't have to, but it's a good way to measure progress.

5K is too short - you need to step up to the 10K as a good base for marathons. 5K mostly depends on speed - the 10 k starts to add in elements of endurance.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

This year is all about my next ultra.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

runmomto3boys

The marathon (or longer - ultra runner wannabe here) distances are important to me.  I have never raced a 5K/10K or HM and I am not sure I ever will.  I am just not at all interested in the shorter distance races, but I have mad admiration for those of you who run 'em. I think running that fast scares me - it's soooo hard!

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

The marathon (or longer - ultra runner wannabe here) distances are important to me.  I have never raced a 5K/10K or HM and I am not sure I ever will.  I am just not at all interested in the shorter distance races, but I have mad admiration for those of you who run 'em. I think running that fast scares me - it's soooo hard!

It's cute how you don't consider yourself fast Joking

(kidding, I get what you mean.)

PRing in the 10k was the highlight of my running career. I probably could have done better in the 5k if I hadn't bumped myself up to longer distances.

In transit, arriving on time. 

I voted for marathon because while I'm going to tackle the half distance quite a few times this year, I feel like my PR is way out of range for my current fitness. However, my marathon PR is really terrible, and the next time I run one, I'll have almost another 2 years of running in my career, so a PR seems like a good plan.

Dreamn

The marathon.  The other races are fun for me, but I'm all about the marathon.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

COME TO THE DARK SIDE!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

5K is too short - you need to step up to the 10K as a good base for marathons. 5K mostly depends on speed - the 10 k starts to add in elements of endurance.

800m may depend mostly on speed, but 5K requires a lot of endurance. True it doesn't require as much as the 10K and up, but in any case that's not why she is working on her 5K time.  It's rather hard to run a BQ time if you can't at least approach the McMillan equivalent for a 5K. Besides, gaining some speed early in the training cycle allows you to train at faster paces later in the cycle. That's good and should lead to faster marathon times. It would be ridiculous for me to train to BQ now since my recent 5K times are 90 seconds slower than my BQ equivalent. I would need to regain a lot of that lost speed first and 5K training will do that better than marathon training.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Rubybaby43

enabler

Tough call for me.  I feel like a slow poke and want the ever elusive sub-2:00 HM.

At the same time, I would love to go sub-25 on a 5K... I just find it hard to train for both at the same time.

Regardless, I will be chasing after both of those goals this year.

KLO

more miles = more beer

Snickers1230

I voted 5K because I'm going to work hard at hitting sub-30, I'm getting close now.  Don't laugh, speed is tough for a fat-boy Clown

I voted half marathon because that's the distance I'm currently training for and have some potential PR races lined up.  I'm with you though,  my 5k goal is to get under 30.  Maybe I'll work on that for the fall, or next spring.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K