Beginners and Beyond

In two words? ****** MonDAILIES (Read 44 times)

B-Plus

Yep probably two, and with my luck I will be applicant number 3.  lol

They'll probably change back to sub-2:45 as soon as I achieve the new standard 

LRB

They'll probably change back to sub-2:45 as soon as I achieve the new standard 

My thoughts exactly!  They do seem to acknowledge the difficulty of the previous times in their statement though:

About the Time Standards

The TCS New York City Marathon is known for being an extremely diverse race, and at New York Road Runners, we pride ourselves on offering many methods by which runners can gain entry. To continue to promote this diversity, we are excited to announce our decision to increase the number of runners who will be able to earn guaranteed entry by meeting time standards. To celebrate our most competitive athletes, we have also decided to relax those standards.

In reviewing entries from nearly a decade of New York City Marathon history, we found that the percentage of time qualifiers has been inconsistent across the different age categories; qualifying by time was tougher for runners in certain age groups. To redress this imbalance, we have tailored a qualifying standard for each age group, rather than using a single standard, such as an age-graded percentage, for all age groups. We intend for our new standards to offer equal access to our most competitive applicants across all age categories and to allow the highest possible percentage of runners from each category to earn guaranteed entry into the TCS New York City Marathon. We have also considerably increased the number of athletes who can qualify by time.

- See more at: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/getting-in/guaranteed-entry-for-2015#sthash.GaRQfi1j.dpuf

I haven't found this to be true. I think I feel worse after this last one than any of the previous ones.

^ This. 

Well maybe not worse than the first one, I was crippled after that. But even aside from the injury, I was more sore after this one than the previous two.

Dave

happylily

They will have a limited number of spots for those who have qualified in a non NYRR race? Not that I could meet these Q times anyways. I am 44 and qualified in the M55-59 category in my September half.  But they manage to fill this race with 50 000 runners with rules like that? Time to use a smiley 

They have many ways to fill the 50,000 plus spots. They have the New York runners who must run 9 races put on by the NYRR. Then, they have a lottery for non-qualifiers and non-residents of NY.. And finally, the time qualifiers, which are definitely harder than the ones for Boston. The race is well worth It, in my opinion. A though course, but a very rewarding experience. I would like to run it again next year, if I can. The winds were amazing. It was fun!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

My thoughts exactly!  They do seem to acknowledge the difficulty of the previous times in their statement though:

I think most of us know about the longstanding 9+1 guaranteed entry, but did you see the new 9 + $1k method?!

LRB

lol

B-Plus

lol

I guess it makes sense if you're pulling in $300/hr.

B-Plus

Finally cracked open 1 of those special brews I bought. It's not amazing like people told me, but really damn good 

Zelanie

I've had the chance to think a lot about marathon recovery lately, and I wonder if we kind of lump the two different parts into the same thing.  There's the "sore quads" part, of course, but then there's the actual legs recovered and ready to resume normal training and racing recovery.  I'm wondering if when we look back on our recovery, what we're remembering more is the second one, but right after a marathon, we're thinking of the first?

My 6 went really well tonight.  So at least I think I'm recovered enough to start putting down a base of easy miles.  LRB, what happened with the 5K wasn't so much that I am bothered by the race of the complete lack of 5K pace in my legs.  The problem was when I tried to go out and run an easy 6 two days later, I had what must have been the most difficult "easy" run I have had since my C25K days.  It was so bad that it had me spooked and feeling like I couldn't even run 6 miles.  I ended up blowing off a couple of runs that week, then really needing to force myself out the door on Saturday with no confidence at all that I could get through my run.

Now, at least, I think I'm back to the place where I can step out the door and enjoy 6 easy after work.   So that's progress.  Just kick me if I mention anything about doing speedwork for a while.