Beginners and Beyond

Thank you Boston Runners (Read 95 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I wanted to publically thank all of the Boston Marathon runners for your race reports over the past week or so.  I hope I can speak for the masses who lurk and post on this board, you all are almost royalty amongst us, given the opportunity to run in what is considered the supreme road race in the World.

I read with reverence your individual posts throught the year given the experience, talent and energy you bring to the sport we are all enamoured with.  You take the time to impart your wisdom; challenge us to approach our running problems differently; and generally strive to make us better.  Many of us wish to be where you all just trod, few will.

Your reports let us inside the event in a way that we can only someday dream about.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, do not be humbled but rather proud of what you accomplished, and walking the masses (us) through your journey is both a joy and honor to be held in high esteem.

So thank you Goo, LTH, Lilly, Fuzzy, Shirfan, T.O. and anyone else who I might have missed.

Pinktastic

Well written!  And, I whole-heartedly agree!   Thanks for writing this!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Well said.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Agreed, I'm very glad that everyone that has posted a RR from Boston decided to do so.  It was also great to get to talk to some friends this week who were there.  It's tough seeing the conflicted emotions in their faces, but completely understandable.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Wow... that was so nice of you to write this. But I hardly deserve it, though. To see my name on the same line as Goo, LTH, Fuzzy, Shirfan and T.O... it's just wrong. haha Big grin But I really appreciate the sentiment. I have benefited so much from everyone's support here... Without your encouragement, I would never have thought it was possible for me to run Boston. We have a great community here. Everyone contributes in his/her own way; fast runner or slower runner, we all have something to give. Thank you so much, guys!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Thanks B&B champs Smile

GinnyinPA

As a slow runner who will probably never run in Boston, I appreciate the chance to get an inside view of the experience.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  And who knows?  As I read more and more marathon reports, the temptation grows to see for myself if I am capable of racing that distance.  Not this year, for sure, but someday.

Ball of Fury

I wanted to publically thank all of the Boston Marathon runners for your race reports over the past week or so.  I hope I can speak for the masses who lurk and post on this board, you all are almost royalty amongst us, given the opportunity to run in what is considered the supreme road race in the World.

I read with reverence your individual posts throught the year given the experience, talent and energy you bring to the sport we are all enamoured with.  You take the time to impart your wisdom; challenge us to approach our running problems differently; and generally strive to make us better.  Many of us wish to be where you all just trod, few will.

Your reports let us inside the event in a way that we can only someday dream about.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, do not be humbled but rather proud of what you accomplished, and walking the masses (us) through your journey is both a joy and honor to be held in high esteem.

So thank you Goo, LTH, Lilly, Fuzzy, Shirfan, T.O. and anyone else who I might have missed.

+1,000,000

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

No, thank *you*.

Without infinite support from the excellent people who make up this online community, I would not have dared such an undertaking.  There is no royalty here, just a village of equals, of runners.

Goorun

No, thank *you*.

Without infinite support from the excellent people who make up this online community, I would not have dared such an undertaking.  There is no royalty here, just a village of equals, of runners.

WORD

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Hip Redux

I really do love all the great RRs. Sounds like everyone had a great race, and thank goodness everyone is safe.

Boston is my "home" even though I don't live there any more - typically, the comments I get are that people in Boston are cold, unwelcoming, etc. etc. - it's been really nice to read all the kind words for the people and spectators in Boston, because that's the Boston I know.

Well, except in rush hour traffic and then Boston drivers make me crazy, but you know what I mean. Big grin

Love the Half

I remember being a relatively new runner and stumbling into the RWOL forums.  At that time, I had no desire to run a marathon and couldn't even contemplate running 20+ miles.  It was only after reading lots of race reports from folks who had run marathons that I begin to think that I might just be able to run one.  The advice I received from others and the things I learned from their race reports were invaluable to me in preparing for and racing my first marathon.  As I continued my involvement in the online community, I learned that not every race necessarily needs to be an all out, pull out your guts and hope you die suffer fest.  You can actually go to a race and just enjoy being there.  That was a fairly radical concept given my competitive nature.  I continue to learn from those whose perspective differs from mine.

An online community is a collaborative environment.  While we may not always reach consensus, the posting of different perspectives is valuable even if it is sometimes confusing.  Human beings are infinitely variable and what works well for one person may or may not work well for another.  Without those multiple perspectives, people can get caught in the trap of trying over and over things that work great for someone else but may not work so great for them.  While I always advocate from my own perspective, I also appreciate the perspective offered by others even when, or maybe especially when, it differs from mine.

So, I'll say thanks to everyone who posts their experiences.  That is how we learn.  Or at least that's how I learn.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I logged on at 5:00 am this morning to find five of the top six threads were from our Boston peeps.  Uh yeah, you know I had to take a screen shot of that!