Beginners and Beyond

Ugh, this weather is killing me. How early do I have to get up to beat the heat??? (Read 78 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So lately I've been doing easy runs on Friday night and then speed work at the track in Saturday mornings.  However, tonight it's not even going to get below 75!!!  It'll be 80+ by 8am!!  I've been running for almost 2 weeks on the hamster wheel now and I'm about to go insane!!!

I think I'm gonna hire someone to run next to me and squirt ice water at me while I run!!!  Even if I got up at 4am, it would still be 75F and friggin 70% humidity!  This is ridiculous!

Randy

Docket_Rocket

I start at 530 because the heat index is already 85-90F at that hour. i only do it for my long runs.  Try to start an hour before the sun comes out because after that, it will get really hot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

There was a group of female spectators at the Baltimore 10 Miler in June who were spraying cold water out of squirt bottles on runners...I wanted to hire them for the rest of the summer.

So lately I've been doing easy runs on Friday night and then speed work at the track in Saturday mornings.  However, tonight it's not even going to get below 75!!!  It'll be 80+ by 8am!!  I've been running for almost 2 weeks on the hamster wheel now and I'm about to go insane!!!

I think I'm gonna hire someone to run next to me and squirt ice water at me while I run!!!  Even if I got up at 4am, it would still be 75F and friggin 70% humidity!  This is ridiculous!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

I <3 New England... I had some brutally humid 6AM runs this summer ("summer" being July and August only), but the forecast is 53F at 6 tomorrow!  YES PLEASE!

Uhh, so I guess my advice is to move here?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Are you near LA? I've been getting up at 5:00 for my long runs. I also hate the heat.

Luke79

You really do get acclimated if you stay at it.  If you especially detest the heat more than others, I would say always run as early as possible.  I see the summer time as doing speedwork in disguise for the fall races.  If you can do race pace in the heat, imagine how easy it will feel when it's 10-20° cooler.

Hip Redux

I <3 New England... I had some brutally humid 6AM runs this summer ("summer" being July and August only), but the forecast is 53F at 6 tomorrow!  YES PLEASE!

+1

It's currently 45 in CT!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, so as I put in the dailies, I made it out by 6am.  The sun still wasn't up & surprisingly very few people at the track.

Sun showed its face around 6:45am.  Not too bad.  Straight in the face on the top turn but not boiling just yet.  Left a little after 7am and that was about as long as I'd have made it.  It was getting pretty gross!

Back home & the a/c is pumpin!  Nap time! Cool

Randy

My woodburner is currently burning wood for the first time this season. Tight lipped

Hip Redux

My woodburner is currently burning wood for the first time this season. Tight lipped

I can say you were not alone in this!  Lots of great wood burning smells on my bike ride today.... ahhh, fall!

Yup.  Just move up here.  Refer to my mini RR in the Saturdailies.  Huge improvement now that it's cooled down up here.

RSX

I chose a summer marathon, but when I got up to 18+ and bonked each time changed to their half. When I used to run with people daily (for 10 years) I was out there at 5:15, but have a hard time doing that alone. A 90 degree day was only in the 70's at that hour.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

FINALLY!!!!..........I caught a break today after TWO WEEKS on the hamster wheel.  (Well, I ran on the track the last 2 Saturdays but that's barely enough to keep me sane).

Felt so good to push off of asphalt.

Hadn't worn my real training shoes since my 10K 2 weeks ago!

While it started feeling good, cloud cover turned to lightning (please don't zap me), then lightning & thunder and finally.....RAIN!!   Friggin' rained on me for the last 3 miles of tonight's 6 miler.  C'est la vie.

Randy