Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Helotes Beer Garden 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.    And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

On March 26th I did my 21st race of 2016, the Helotes Beer Garden 5K.  Event started and finished at Pete’s Place in Old Town Helotes.  Quite a few participants for this one.  I don’t know how many actually showed up, but I believe there were around 1,000 or so registered.  This is a very popular event as, post-race, there are several local breweries on-site giving out free samples of their various types of beer.  Various shirts, foods, and other items were also available for purchase.   The good news for me is I did okay for this one, finishing in at 32:51.  The bad news, darn the luck, is I tweaked one of my adductors along the way. I can walk okay, but hurts to run for now, so probably will have to take a week or two off from running and just walk my next few upcoming events.  Well, it’s all good, at least I can still be active and the darn thing is not torn which would have put me out for quite a while.

On to the photos!  I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do.  So if you’d rather just see photos only without my “pithy comments” you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2021%20Helotes%20Beer%20Garden%205K

BEFORE THE START

Helotes, which has boundary lines with San Antonio, is about a 30 minute drive from my residence, so I got there pretty quick and was lucky enough to find parking fairly close to the start/finish. I’d already picked up my packet on Thursday before the race, so got right to taking some photos.

photo 005_zpslteebrta.jpg

Near Pete's Place, a nice view of some of the surrounding hills in the Helotes area

photo 009_zpsw4c8pcx5.jpg

Awards for the people who place

photo 007_zpsbcaicyxd.jpg

The empty start/finish line

photo 012_zpss9eu5yjv.jpg

The course road we started out on and came back up on to finish

photo 015_zpsn0xemfhj.jpg

One of the 'scenic" pieces along the course route

photo 017_zpst5mxhlf4.jpg

Bill Taylor of KENS-5 TV in San Antonio was there helping as a registration volunteer.  Thanks, Bill!

photo 002_zpsixwqyfjq.jpg

Some of the many participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Race Director Roger (left) with my fellow team member from RWB (Red White Blue), Max, who carried the flag on the whole course.

photo 008_zpsaso0mo9g.jpg

Some more of my Team RWB team members there

photo 014_zpswqqzp9wj.jpg

photo 027_zpsuh0t1hix.jpg

photo 026_zpsnub2pqku.jpg

photo 023_zpszj3jwjzh.jpg

photo 003_zpspkemavje.jpg

photo 004_zpskwj4sywl.jpg

photo 006_zpsdat1hdg7.jpg

photo 010_zpsixoeugzv.jpg

photo 011_zps0th2alpd.jpg

photo 013_zpsuuwgnwfm.jpg

photo 016_zpscver0dyh.jpg

My friend Michelle

photo 018_zps18kdokqm.jpg

photo 019_zpsfy27qevd.jpg

My speedy friend Charito; I see her at the start, at the finish; I'm too darn slow to see her on the course, lol; although I did see her today heading toward the finish - way ahead of me, lol - as this was an out-and-back course.

photo 020_zpsn0vqhc9k.jpg

My two lovely friends and co-workers at UTSA, Courtney and Elizabeth

photo 021_zpszl6y1azm.jpg

photo 025_zpswusvauaz.jpg

photo 028_zps0nysvfyw.jpg

photo 029_zpsgttivhcu.jpg

The start line, not so empty now

photo 030_zpsrnaiaq6i.jpg

photo 032_zpsbud2kmjt.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started out near Pete’s Place, made a left turn onto Old Bandera Road – the main drag through Old Town Helotes – did a little uphill and turn around some cones, then back the other way on Old Bandera Road – short downhill, then a slight uphill – then right onto another road which we went down to a turn-around point – right where my darn adductor tweaked and I had to take an unscheduled walk break here, darn the luck – and then back the way we had come out, finishing back at Pete’s Place.  My adductor felt better with the walk, so I tried to run again and it was much better, and I managed to run the whole last mile.   .  I thought I’d finish in 35 or so, but surprised myself with a 32:51 finish, so I guess the adductor was feeling better thankfully for that last mile.  After the race, darn thing stiffened up on me again, so I realize I am going to have to rest it a bit, do some therapeutic stretching, and let it heal.

photo 033_zpsyhnynelb.jpg

photo 034_zpsxlecxmfw.jpg

photo 035_zpspumab7m6.jpg

photo 036_zps4d5vzmgj.jpg

photo 037_zpsku1wuxl4.jpg

photo 038_zpsggpojaxh.jpg

photo 039_zps4mus7meg.jpg

photo 040_zpsrlwe2jzu.jpg

photo 041_zpstyjzmw1g.jpg

photo 042_zps8entm11s.jpg

photo 043_zpsxvvuyhs2.jpg

Selfie time on the course!

photo 044_zpsphnat4ij.jpg

photo 045_zpsvb2yrekf.jpg

Right before I finished....a view of the road we started and finished on...now quite crowded with runners and walkers, looking quite different from the pre-start photo.  Folks on the left are coming up to the cone-turn around just before heading down on the right and then making a quick right turn to go to the finish line.

photo 046_zpste2zrr6g.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Lots of choices of beer at this event!  And long lines too to get some of those choices!  So I chose my personal favorite local brewery

photo 056_zpszufisydv.jpg

photo 057_zpsswtzpurg.jpg

photo 059_zpsfiwujahx.jpg

And lots of happy people post race. Even the dogs brought along were happy.

photo 047_zpsikxqvmfx.jpg

photo 048_zpsqel1mvyp.jpg

photo 050_zpsr5kucptw.jpg

photo 049_zpsnd2w6zme.jpg

photo 051_zps7zetfnbf.jpg

photo 053_zpsnduath98.jpg

photo 055_zps5su2ephq.jpg

photo 054_zpsr25ampap.jpg

photo 052_zpsjvmqu1z0.jpg

photo 060_zpsnynkhix9.jpg

photo 061_zpsgvknj0gy.jpg

photo 062_zpsnb35ogya.jpg

photo 063_zpsotkfgyfc.jpg

My friend Margaret 'borrowed" one of the award mugs temporarily for a photo prop...

photo 064_zpsntttmeea.jpg

photo 065_zpshtohtu5f.jpg

Dogs will pay attention if you have a biscuit in one hand while you're taking the photo, lol

photo 066_zpsymhupycr.jpg

photo 067_zpscxdupckp.jpg

photo 068_zpshmshpie0.jpg

photo 069_zpsgjrqoedz.jpg

photo 070_zps7d6ipwrh.jpg

photo 071_zpsfiqilskc.jpg

photo 072_zpsjjvvl01b.jpg

The biscuit is out...now doggie has 'eyes front", lol

photo 073_zpswxs8kuv7.jpg

photo 074_zpsfhafewfm.jpg

photo 075_zpsbx0qapyd.jpg

EPILOGUE

Well, aside from my stupid adductor – injuries suck! – I did manage to enjoy myself.   A very nicely thought out course, lots of good friends and fellow runners at this very popular event, lots of post-race goodies, music being played for us, very original race awards, nice tech tee race shirts, good running weather.   As I was wandering around taking photos, I saw and heard lots of smiles and laughter, good comments, lots of participant comradery.  If you have never done this one before and live in or are visiting the San Antonio area at the time, this is definitely one to put on your race calendar.   Definitely a keeper on my race calendar.

MUCHO thanks to primary sponsor Run Wild Sports and all the other sponsors; all the volunteers, law enforcement, EMTs, course set-up and race timing/results folks, etc!  All the folks who did all the work to make this one happen for us participants. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sounds like a fun event, 5k and beer tasting. One of the races here that sells out real quick is a Sunday evening 5k that starts and ends at a vineyard, with free wine at the end.

GinnyinPA

Free beer will definitely increase the turnout.  I wish our local breweries would do that instead of charging $15 for the chance to taste their products.

Sorry you got hurt.  Heal quickly.