Beginners and Beyond

Bring on the Friday Penguins (Read 30 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm in a steel mill on my phone, but had to comment on SCOTTY's post.  Scotty, I hope its nothing, but if it is something you're pretty darn tough for a guy thats always smiling.  You add toughness, your positive attitude, and the support system you have with today's technology, and cancer wouldn't stand a chance.  You'll still get a mention in my prayers, but

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

One Half So Far

Mornin, folks.  Will run today...no idea how far, though.  5, maybe.

Thanks for the feedbacks on the plan I posted yesterday.  Still debating whether to do it or not.

No time for personals....hope everyone is healthy and in good spirits, especially Scotty.

Have a good weekend!

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning!!!   Those tests better come back negatve, Scotty.

awood, for me DIY is just finding a contractor.  I'll be "installing" a new backsplash next week in just 2 days.  Thank you Loew's.

Maybe short run today w/dw.  Did a few leg machines yesterday at the health club and legs are a little sore.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Scotty your good attitude is nothing short of inspirational!! Really hoping for good news for you!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Hang in there Scotty!  Don't assume the worst.  But if the worst happens, we know you can knuckle down and handle it.  Of course you are always welcome to vent here.

In the meantime, enjoy your races this weekend.  I remember the costumes from the "festival" race last year were entertaining!

Docket_Rocket

If I had time I would become a morning runner before the humidity turns ugly, but I cannot run more than 5 in the morning and you know I hardly ever run 5.

Wishing you good luck on the tests!  I also saw her interview when she said she was not as devastated as she thought she would.

Hope you get your miles in Vance!

Enjoy the RD, bin!  Yeah, rainy weather is perfect sleeping-in weather, lol.

You are quite the handyman, Awood!  I'm jealous..I can't even hammer a nail in straight, lol.  Good luck with the projects!

AFM:  I have a long Saturday.  My 5K in the morning is in Fredericksburg - about a 90 minute drive from San Antonio - so will have to get up early to get there by 8 a.m. start time.  Then drive back home...then probably nap, lol - and then I have the Fandango Fun Run 2.6 miles at 6:45 PM.   So probably won't be around much tomorrow; plan to post all the photos that ya'll know I take at my events sometime on Sunday.  The Fandango run always has lots of folks in costume, so should be some very colorful photos!

Enjoy the rest days, Margo...even if they do include shopping.  That counts as x-training, you know, since you'll probably do a lot of walking. Big grin   And also exercises your patience, as you mentioned.

Hope you get your miles in Mitch.  Your schnauzers had to go to the dentist? Wink

This is a shocking turn of events...Damaris turning into a morning runner!  Joking

Happy walking, Zelanie!  Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not so tough, actually.  Now, those Wounded Warriors I know...those folks are SERIOUSLY tough!   And that lady from Vermont that got injured in Boston..her last name is Abbot, I think....while waiting to see the doc yesterday I watched her on TV giving an interview...she had part of her leg amputated...and yet was SO positive and she and her doc were telling reporters they were getting a rehab plan in place so she could do Boston again next year with her prosthetic leg.  She really handled herself well at the interview.  Now,  SHE is tough.  Seriously tough!   I am a big wimp, lol, compared to these folks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

N-Bug: Of course I'm ready for the weekend! Enjoy the rest day.

Bin: Same as above. Pray for clouds on Sunday. The headband could make its debut!!

Awood: Well done on the shower. DW and I have done plenty of demo but not much construction other than drywall and easy stuff.

kristin: Have fun on your "sick" day.

Phillie: Sounds like you and DDs are in for some fun this weekend. Shopping usually leads to lunch which can lead to a movie...

Hog: Like your schnauzers, I am also getting a haircut today.

Zel: At least you're walking. Is the knee getting better?

Scotty: I'm sorry to hear that, my friend. Keep your head up and keep running. I went through that a couple times myself and that's why I usually have to wear a hat when I go on long runs. Your strong will and positive attitude will help, and there is nothing wrong with venting. BE STRONG!!

As for me, today is my last run before the HM on Sunday. I am dropping DD at the pool, going for a haircut, then going back to the pool to do an easy 30 minute run. DW and I are driving down to La Jolla tomorrow to get our bibs and packets and we will have lunch with DS who is still at school. It's about two hours from home so we will stay the night at my brother's house because he is close to the start of the HM in Del Mar.

Have a good weekend, Pens.

good morning friends-

N-Bug- enjoy the rest or the run Smile

Bin- I sometimes like to run in the rain. it makes me feel like I am harcore. Rest is good too though Smile

AWood- good luck on the tub situation. You must work a lot faster than me. My bathroom remodels/ projects are never weekend jobs.

Kristin- enjoy the day off. Hope the wedding is fun.

Phillie- dont let the girls dress you too funny Smile

Hog- you sound busy before work. Do you sleep?

Scotty- You are one of the toughest SOB's out there. Hope all turns out well. Dont let some Army doc take too much meat off of you when they get to diggin Smile

Z- enjoy the walk.

Damaris- Jeans day- Woo Hoo!! 5 miles - good job. and I was asleep when you replied last night.

** page 2

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jeff- enjoy the 5 later.

Jerry- an easy jog will probaly help with that soreness- BTW-I need to start lifting some weights too.

Jack- New hair cut for the race- we are expecting cool pics and a kick ass time Smile

AFM- I got 5 done this am before a morning of screw ups. But so far at work, it has been good.

make today great.

Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

T-rod:  Lol... sorry, no guarantees on either pictures or a kick ass time. My brother "might" ride his bike along the course to get some pictures of us and the nice scenery. The course is brutal so if I get anywhere near my goals I will be happy. Oh, I have two goals: To beat my PR (1:44) and maybe break 1:40. We'll see. If I don't get either I won't be down on myself simply because the course is such a bear.

J.Drumm: Look at some other plans before you decide on one. I used the Ryan Hall 10 week plan for this weekend's HM.

Jerry: You sound like me; good at writing checks and so-so at construction!

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Awood--- good luck!  That's a big project for a short amount of time.

Scotty-- what a wonderful attitude you have!   You'll get through this, too, especially as it was caught early.  We are all here for you if you need to ramble, and even whine about it some.  Best of luck on your TWO races tomorrow!

Jack-- good luck on your HM tomorrow!

Going to get in a few miles soon today.  Tomorrow I have a 10k run up the mountain & back.  Should be fun!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Heading out in a few minutes, but I wanted to wish all of our racers this weekend good luck and have fun.

I'll check in on Sunday and see how everything went.

Scotty - I really hope your doctor gives you good news.  My husband has had several squamous cell cancers removed, and that's bad enough.  Sometimes the sun is not our friend.  Have fun tomorrow.  I like Fredericksburg; it's a cool old town.

Bin Running

Scotty, keep your chin up! It's probably nothing. Sending you good vibes.

Jack, hope the headband give you super speed as what it did for me and Awood.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Oh, the woes of being a penguin.

Today at lunch there was an "activities fair" where different clubs / groups here at work set up tables to generate interest.  There was one that said "running club" so I stopped by.  I recognized the guy there -- both from work and because we've crossed paths  while running after work.

Me:  HI Ryan.  So what exactly does the Running Club do?

Ryan:  Well, we don't have many members yet, so we've mostly just been meeting on Tuesdays to run after work.

Me:  Yes, I think I've seen your group.  You go faster than I can manage....do you have any slower members?

Ryan:  Well that's part of why we are here, we'd like to get more members so we can have a couple of different groups go at different paces.  I"m also in a running group in Philadelphia and we have about 25 people at our group runs, and we have paces that range from sub-7:00 all the way up to 10:00 m/m.

Damn those young, fast runners.  A 10:00 pace is almost a tempo run for me...I could hang on for a little while but it wouldn't be easy!  I signed up anyway -- maybe another penguin will join.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yeah feel ya... I've wanted to do the group runs sponsored by the LRS but can't, because of this: Route: 4ish miles, 9 min/mile and faster

Yeah I ran a 9 minute mile.... Once. During my 5K PR race. First mile was in 8:58. I felt like my lungs were going to explode and I was going to die right there. It was my fastest mile ever. I think a good long term goal for myself is to get my easy pace to a point where I could do a group run Smile

Oh, the woes of being a penguin.

Today at lunch there was an "activities fair" where different clubs / groups here at work set up tables to generate interest.  There was one that said "running club" so I stopped by.  I recognized the guy there -- both from work and because we've crossed paths  while running after work.

Me:  HI Ryan.  So what exactly does the Running Club do?

Ryan:  Well, we don't have many members yet, so we've mostly just been meeting on Tuesdays to run after work.

Me:  Yes, I think I've seen your group.  You go faster than I can manage....do you have any slower members?

Ryan:  Well that's part of why we are here, we'd like to get more members so we can have a couple of different groups go at different paces.  I"m also in a running group in Philadelphia and we have about 25 people at our group runs, and we have paces that range from sub-7:00 all the way up to 10:00 m/m.

Damn those young, fast runners.  A 10:00 pace is almost a tempo run for me...I could hang on for a little while but it wouldn't be easy!  I signed up anyway -- maybe another penguin will join.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to