Beginners and Beyond

Ottawa Marathon, May 26th (RR) (Read 138 times)

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

It sounds like you're burned out so you made the right call in pulling out of the race.  Don't worry about it, there will be other races.

I think a 3-4 week break from your training would do you a world of good.  First, a week or two of no running at all followed by a week or two of light running (30-50% of your normal mileage, all at an easy pace).  Then you should be in good shape to start training for Chicago.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

No more marathons

Julie,

I supect you have heard the saying

"For he who fights and runs away
      May live to fight another day;
      But he who is in battle slain
      Can never rise and fight again."

I believe you made the wise choice in Ottawa.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

outoftheblue

Joining the chorus of those who think you make the right decision.  Running marathons "for fun" is not everyone's bag, particularly after all the hard racing you've done.    Your body needed a break, you listened, and you gave it one.

Now rest up and nail the next one.

Life is good.

Dad on the run.

Wow, I had no idea you had a stroke and was able to recover from it to the point of running. That is really awesome! No shame in DNFing, you did what your body told you to do. I could not imagine running a marathon right now much less 7 in one year. You are a beast and I mean that in the most woman like flattering way Smile Keep doing what you do and I look forward to reading plenty more RRs from you.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

Ahhhh, hugs, Lily.  You're always so strong, and always achieve so much, sometimes it seems you're invulnerable. Rest up,  and I hope you're soon back to 100%.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

come on happylily, you are still amazing.  7 marathons... PR in Boston... awesome half time.  You cannot argue with that.

What you did is you found your limit on that day.  You can push hard, but your body sometimes will push back.  It's only smart to listen to it.  If you plan on running each and every race hard, do what elites do, and schedule one in the spring and one in the fall Big grin  and you are of course a badass.

cheers and good luck in Chicago!!

happylily

Thank you guys. I wasn't expecting any replies, to be honest. I only wanted to let you know what had happened and not have you think that I only report the good things. There are loads of bad stuff as well, of course and I don't want to hide that. Not happy about it, but it happened.

You've all given me great advice and I should have listened to your warnings before. Whatever made me think that I was different and above fatigue and injuries, it was wrong. I was stupid. Thank you for not laughing at me (well, not openly, at least. Big grin) and most of all, thank you for your very comforting words. You're worth a million to me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

So there. I FREAKIN' DNFd!!! You can all laugh at me, it's ok.

You need to give us a little more credit than that.

Sorry to hear about your DNF though, Lily.  You're still an awesome runner but you know that.  Smile

I appreciate the "bad" RR's though, so thanks for posting.  It's always nice to read about the PR's and great races and all that, but the ones where folks struggle or have bad days can teach some lessons that the good reports can not.  I always find this kind to be more interesting reads.

<3