Beginners and Beyond

8 weeks off and I am cleared to run again...for the most part (Read 90 times)

RabbitChaser

On December 10th I had surgery to repair tendons in my right shoulder. This afternoon, I had my 8 week check up with the surgeon and was cleared to run. Here's the catch, I have to keep my arm at my side and not pump/swing it. I'll be able to run normally in 4 more weeks, but it was nice getting out there and doing a 3 mile run/walk. Even though I've been walking 15-20 MPW with a 10-14 mile long walk on the weekends, it feels like I'm starting back at square 1 with my running. I'll take it though, I'm just happy to be able to somewhat run again!

Eric

delicate flower

Definitely a good thing to get clearance.  Good luck, Eric!

<3

SusanRachel

Yay!  I think you'll be fine with the not swinging your arm thing.  I've had to do that a couple of times and it is surprising how fast you get used to it.  I'm just happy to have you back running.  Not that I'm thinking about team miles at all.  Not one bit.  Wink

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Yay Eric!

Relentless forward progress

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Any news that involves being able to run again is good news!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

happylily

That is good news, Eric! Maybe it will feel a bit difficult at first, but you will get back to running like you were before in no time. It's not like you are starting from scratch. And wow, those were long walks that you did!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Better I Leave

On December 10th I had surgery to repair tendons in my right shoulder. This afternoon, I had my 8 week check up with the surgeon and was cleared to run. Here's the catch, I have to keep my arm at my side and not pump/swing it. I'll be able to run normally in 4 more weeks, but it was nice getting out there and doing a 3 mile run/walk. Even though I've been walking 15-20 MPW with a 10-14 mile long walk on the weekends, it feels like I'm starting back at square 1 with my running. I'll take it though, I'm just happy to be able to somewhat run again!

Eric

Good news. Yeah, I was in a similar situation shortly after my bicep procedure. A lot of folks thought I was nutso at the gym running on the TM with my arm in a splint and sling....but damn it was nice being able to run. Do be careful, but go kick some ass! Smile

So glad to hear you can start running again. Since you've been walking so far and fast, you won't take too long to get back in the grove.

Love the Half

Welcome back.  Just remember to take it easier than you think you need to for a while.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zelanie

Glad you're able to run again!  Do you have a sling or something to wear so that you don't accidentally pump your arm?

Docket_Rocket

Good news!  You'll be back in no time!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

You'll get it back quicker than you think.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

SusanRachel

Glad you're able to run again!  Do you have a sling or something to wear so that you don't accidentally pump your arm?

When I couldn't pump my arm, I just stuck it under my Army reflective belt when I ran.  That gave it enough wiggle room to be comfortable without adding extra warmth and bulk that I didn't want.  Or I could have just been careful, but I was running trails (smoothish ones) and didn't want to accidentally use that arm if I fell.

RabbitChaser

Phil - Thanks! Good luck with your recovery!

SR - I'm not worried about it as I ran like that before the surgery. Smile I will now be able to post something other than a 0 for the team, it feels good! I have thought about wearing my sling while running, especially if I do run easy trails.

LD -Thanks!

Gustav1 - I couldn't agree more.

happylily - It was a tad difficult for the 3 miles, but like you said, my fitness will come back. My walking pace averaged 13:10/mile for my 11.5 mile walk last Saturday. Even so, I realized it didn't equate to running cardio.

PineGroveDave - Thanks! I did get some strange looks running while holding my arm to my stomach.

kimbalion - Thanks! I'm hoping that the walking will make my running fitness come back a bit quicker.

LTH - Thanks! Now worries there, the little run/walk yesterday put that into perspective for me.

Zelanie - Thanks! I do have the sling I wore for the 6 weeks after the surgery. It probably would be a good idea to wear it while running.

Damaris - Thanks! I'm just happy to be able to do the little that I can. Smile

Van - Thanks!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Congrats! Just take it easy so you don't undo all the healing you've already done! =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!