Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins - We have Free Admission Today Only! (Read 208 times)

Luke79

Scotty, I totally agree with you on the cold weather thing.  I have no use for cold weather whatsoever.

Philliefan33

Wow Vance -- that's a big step!  (At least I think it is.)  Good for you!

Scotty - we are finally back home. And when i was headed out this amnI noticed I FedEx box. It was my new shoes.  Smile thanks again.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty - we are finally back home. And when i was headed out this amnI noticed I FedEx box. It was my new shoes.  Smile thanks again.

YAY!  Glad you got them this time and hope they work well for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Scotty- they are the newer model so I won't try them until after my marathon in 8 days.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Wandering Wally

Free admission?  Woot!

Rested yesterday.  Tonight will be about 6-ish miles I think.

Happy Friday everyone!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

From the Internet.

Kristin - I'm more than halfway to 4 weeks so that makes me feel a little better, haha Smile "It depends" really seems to be the only consistent answer for shin splints, I'm horribly impatient so waiting for my own "it depends" length of time to happen is driving me crazy.

Vance - Shin splints hit in early October, I came back after only a week off and was OK for a while but they sidelined me again in December. I've been off since December 18, with the exception of a 1-mile test run on New Year's Day (better but still not 100%).

Lauren, for 2 weeks off, you probably would not have to start from zero again.  BUT..given what you have been going through for the past few weeks, it might be better to start from scratch again. Following a beginner run/walk program from Day 1 would ensure you proceed very gradually and not re-aggravate your problem area.  Just a thought.

Certainly worth trying, especially because I want to make sure I'm not starting off with bad habits/bad form, and I also want to make sure my problem areas have an opportunity to get stronger (seems to be muscles on the bottom of my left foot and hip adductors(? or abductors, I always get them mixed up)).

I'm going wait until Tuesday, 3 weeks from when I first started resting, and if it's feeling GOOD then I'll try run/walk intervals (most likely on the treadmill - the ground's pretty frozen right now, probably not the best surface for me). If it's just okay I'll wait a few more days and re-evaluate. I will just have to keep myself busy with strength work and the exercises from the PT until then.

Singer who runs a smidge

Lauren, are you a midfoot striker or a heel striker?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Morning penguins!  Hope everyone is doing well today.

Lauren, being injured so sucked.  It's no wonder you're feeling pouty.  Hugs to you, and hopefully your shin did not get further injured in your mile run (which if you did it easy enough is probably fine)

Scotty- great N Years reports!  Congratulations on starting the year off with such gusto!

N-bug-- registering for your first marathon is a big step!  Good for you!  It'll be a lot of fun (after a lot of work.)

This has been a cold, hard run week.  It's snowed twice (which is a lot here)  and I've been putting in some harder workouts.  Today I did a moderately hard 10 mile run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Sloooow.

Scotty, I totally agree with you on the cold weather thing.  I have no use for cold weather whatsoever.

Crazy hot weather lovers, I'm already dreading the summer! Luke, aren't you from around the Natchitoches area? I drove near there yesterday, such a lovely area.

Zelanie

Hello, everyone!  I had my LR today and got superstitious about posting it before I went out.  So instead I spent all morning worrying about it and waiting for it to warm up.  Then I spent more of my run worrying about the distance too.  Finally around the 8.5 mile mark I decided this was silly and there was no reason to push so hard when I could just adjust my plan.  I decided that 9 miles would be plenty instead of the 10 I'd planned.  And instantly had a spring in my step that hadn't been there at all before during the run.

So clearly the problem is a mental one, since I started feeling blah way before I normally get tired on a "regular" one, and suddenly great once I cut the distance.  But on the other hand, if cutting back on my long runs by just that much is enough to make the difference between a real tough push for all 15 weeks and a challenging but doable routine, then I think that sounds a lot more enjoyable.

So I'm thinking of following my same plan, but just cutting back the LR mileage for now and see how that feels.

Philliefan33

Zel, isn't  it funny how our minds can play games with us?  No big deal that you didn't make 10 today, you'll get it next time--but you already knew that.

I had anxiety before my first 9-miler, even though I had run 8.5 miles the previous long run.  For some reason I was afraid before I started. Really, what's the worst that could happen?  I might get tired and have to walk?   Now I combat the demons by targeting a mileage range for every long run; for instance tomorrow I have 8-9 miles planned.   If I'm feeling good I will do all 9, but I'm "allowed" to only go 8 if I want to.

Docket_Rocket

If you move to Miami, you'll have Summer all year long. Angry

Crazy hot weather lovers, I'm already dreading the summer! Luke, aren't you from around the Natchitoches area? I drove near there yesterday, such a lovely area.

Awesome 5 recovery miles, pushups, pullups, and situps.  Nice run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I think runners are a superstitious bunch.  For example, I would never use the same clothes for a race that I used for another race that went badly, etc.  So, the mental aspect is real, sister.  Work on it!  If you need music, somebody to yell at you, accountability, do it!

Hello, everyone!  I had my LR today and got superstitious about posting it before I went out.  So instead I spent all morning worrying about it and waiting for it to warm up.  Then I spent more of my run worrying about the distance too.  Finally around the 8.5 mile mark I decided this was silly and there was no reason to push so hard when I could just adjust my plan.  I decided that 9 miles would be plenty instead of the 10 I'd planned.  And instantly had a spring in my step that hadn't been there at all before during the run.

So clearly the problem is a mental one, since I started feeling blah way before I normally get tired on a "regular" one, and suddenly great once I cut the distance.  But on the other hand, if cutting back on my long runs by just that much is enough to make the difference between a real tough push for all 15 weeks and a challenging but doable routine, then I think that sounds a lot more enjoyable.

So I'm thinking of following my same plan, but just cutting back the LR mileage for now and see how that feels.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Lauren, I would advise against doing a miles test. Try going back slowly like c25k. Try strengthen the shin muscles. do you know the reason of your SS? For me, it's a combination of old shoes and too much too soon.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar