Beginners and Beyond

North Coast 24 Race report! (Read 99 times)

Will run for scenery.

Great RR Mary!  I've got half a mind to try a timed ultra some day so it's fascinating to read all the details, especially from a first-timer.

In a normal ultra you run the last 12 miles so you don't die out in the boonies;  but getting out of a comfy (?) van to finish is a real accompishment.

Congrats!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

TakeAHike

Thanks for the fantastic RR.  I really enjoyed reading it.  You had tremendous perseverance through the nausea and GI issues.  I find it pretty funny that LtH's tough love helped you get back out there.  He seems to have that effect on people.  Great job.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

outoftheblue

I'm so glad you got back out of the van.  Congratulations on an amazing and gutty race.  100K!!!!!

Life is good.

Philliefan33

Way to beat those mental demons...congrats!

Love the Half

I'll just ditto my remarks from RWOL.  Good stuff.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I have learned to never use the word never where running is concerned, that is, never say you will never do something.  That being said, it is highly unlikely that I will ever run an ultra marathon!

I know you said the same thing, but I can hardly get my friends to spell ultra, let alone run one.

You are incredible, congrats!

Congrats on an amazing adventure!  And even though you didn't hit your original goal, you still did outstanding, going further than you ever have before!  Nice work!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Congrats! Great job on powering through! That distance is hard enough to do in good conditions.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

hog4life

Congratations! This RR is so vivid and describes the mood so well. You are a good writer, so much that it made me feel like I was there with everyone. You are a special lady to have such a supportive husband. Congrats to Bret also!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ultra Runner as well as an Ultra Writer.  Congrats !!!

Supersono99

Congrats, Mary. I commented on your RR on fb but wanted to comment here as well. I love that your motivation at the end came from LTH. Great job getting back out there.

Zelanie

Wow, that was am incredible race and report. I loved the description of the race. And how perfect that it was LTH who got you going in the morning.  That took serious courage to get back out there.

happylily

Mary, I read your RR twice and took a long time before leaving my comment. I wanted it to express exactly how I feel. What you and your DH have is very similar to what my SO and I have. You described it perfectly in your RR and it was obvious that there is much love, respect and admiration between the two of you. And your DH should be damn proud of you too... The difference between you and me is that I would not have gone back to finish those last 12 miles, after sleeping a few hours. I don't say this to make you feel good, I say it in all honesty. I do not have that type of will power in me. You are one hell of a determined runner and I admire you so much for it. What you did was completely hardcore and I congratulate you! And your husband was a wonderful support for you and he deserves to be congratulated as well. You have a good catch and so does he. Smile

P.S. Your pictures are always so beautiful and you look like the perfect focused runner. Quite amazing how they always turn out like this! And your outfit was sooo cute on you! I'm sure you were the most stylish woman out there!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010