Beginners and Beyond

Wake Up Saturday Penguins! (Read 31 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Zel I shouldn't weigh in because my personal vendetta with the 10K would probably be a big influence lol.... I am going to run every 10K that comes up til I get sub 60lol..... and I have NO desire to beat my 5K PR, it is NOT soft and trying to PR WILL be pain lol. So....partial to the 10 K Smile

The dog used to be SO hard to run with with how distracted she'd get and how much she'd pull on the leash. She used to think me running meant SHE could try to RUN and set a world record lol, and occaisonally its still like ZOMG BUNNY CHASE IT but generally she does well now.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tracilynn

Zel, do the 10Ks?  My 3yr old has a harry potter scar too!

Lauren, great job on the new PB distance.  Sorry to hear about the stitches.  8 is a lot too.

Kristin, trail run sounds nice and cool!  Cool is good.

Jerry, is the hip on the mend?  No pain today is a great sign.

bin, how long are you gonna streak?

Mitch, ive read horror stories about PF taking years to heal.  That one really scares me.   Hope yours goes away quickly.  Runmomtoboys (Heidi) has PF right now too.  She's stat. biking.

Damaris, have fun with your 5er

About hydration... I have a little handheld that holds 8 ozs and I hate the way it sloshes.  It drives me crazy.  I always sit it down and run back to pick it up.  Is that just something I need to 'get over'? Ha. Im not running much now but as my long runs *hopefully* continue to lengthen Im gonna need something else or a new plan.

I got up at 6am again and ran 3.5 miles with last 1/2m barefoot.

Im thinking about ordering some kinvara 3s on liquidation on RUNNERS WAREHOUSE.  They seem to be pretty much the same as the 4s I just got.  i need some shoes to alternate.  I have some Brooks minimals but not sure if Im gonna keep them.

Better go naptime!  Ha

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

On hydration, I carry a 10 or 16 oz store water bottle and cover it with a 3 or 4 inch terrycloth wristband.  I freeze 2/3 water if its hot out. It is really easy to wipe my face with it and the wristband keeps it cold for quite a while.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi guys!  I'll try to hit everybody up later.  I am pooped, and I'll explain here in a minute.  I love the intro by the way, and Zel I'm just glad you're looking at races again.  That's awesome.

4:30 AM - I'm up and ready to go...kinda.  It took me a while to get out the door.

6:02 AM - I started the following run.

Miles 1-2: Nice and easy 9:36 and 9:20

For the next 35 minutes I do cruise intervals with 6 minutes at Tempo (7:40 mpm) with 1 minute jogging.

8:11 / 8:04 / 7:56 / 8:08

Mile 7: 8:45 (had a cruise interval spill over into this mile)

Mile 8 (back to easy running): 9:27

Mile 9: 9:35

Mile 10: 9:31

Mile 11: 9:38

Mile 12: 9:25

Mile 13: 9:25

Holy crap it's 8AM.  My buddy and his wife are competing in a strongman competition at 9AM at the fair.  I had to get cleaned up and run over there.  Holy crap it's hot, and there aren't any clouds.  It was supposed to be cooler today.  Shit, I haven't eaten anything other than a PB & J before my run.  Fair food, heat, haven't sat down at all....blech.  Anyway, just got home and sat down.  I'm glad I didn't sign up for the 5K at the fair tomorrow.  They moved the start time to 1:20 PM.  It's like the purposely picked the hottest part of the day.  Screw those guys.

Fair food review:

-Maple bacon funnel cake 2 thumbs up

-Jalapeno corndog 2 thumbs up

-Neiderman's steak 2 thumbs up

-Deep fried butter 2 thumbs down....waaayyyyyy down.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

Deep fried butter?  Dead Ha!  Heart attack city there.  I liked butter when I was little.  I would dip a stick of butter into a bowl of sugar and eat the whole stick.  YUM.  Thinking about that makes me want to vomit now though.

Deep fried oreos are heavenly

Jalapeno corndog sounds really awesome.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

nice job on the 13 miler!.   Shoulda made it 13.1!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I actually did.  In my head, I was like, "I should not be this close to my HM PR right now" LOL.

nice job on the 13 miler!.   Shoulda made it 13.1!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

Ginny, my insurance is real screwy with PT, so nothing there. But we have an on site doctor and I plan to see him next week.

SheCan

Can't copy and paste our intro on my phone. So....Penguins are for everyone. Slow runners are cool. But some Penguin posters aren't that slow, but we let them stay. The End.

LMAO.... you're too cool and cute, kristin!  I like this intro.  Good for you for getting your doggie time and run in at the time time.

DR-- good luck with your run tonight.  Hope you don't melt.

Bin-- awesome 10 miler.

Lauren -- awesome job on the long run!  Great idea to get a hydration belt even just to know you have it in case.  Sorry about your baby girl hurting herself like that.  Hope she heals up quickly.

Zelanie-- Ohh, I'm so glad you found some races between now and your half.  They really are good to keep your motivation up.  How soon before the races do you have to register?  I sometimes wait on the "little" races to see where I am fitness-wise right before, but as they're both a little bit away, chose whether you want to do a 5k or 10 and do a training program for them, and really give them a good race.  HOnestly, I don't think i'd matter whichever you chose, either could work into the 1/2 training, I'd think anyway.

Mitch-- sorry your foot is still aching.  I think the longer you've ran on it, the longer it will take to heal, depending on how much damage has accumulated.  It really does stink, and no matter how long it takes, it's going to seem like its taking forever.

Ginny-- Yay@ your heat wave breaking!   Hopefully you won't have to run at the high of 88*, so yes, it should feel good!  Smile

Jerry-- good job on the 5 miles.  Glad your hip wasn't acting up.

Lauren-- :-(  ugh@ the vertigo!  I sure hope it passes quickly...I can't imagine trying to run and feeling dizzy the whole time.

Tracilynn-- hope you had a good nap.  Another thing I do with hydration when I don't feel like carrying one, and am unsure how far I'm going to do, I'll do loops around my house, with a water bottle sitting in the shade that I can pick up and get a drink out of as I zip by.   LOL@ eating a whole stick of butter.  It's funny when people around my age were kids there just wasn't as many snacks, and we'd eat about anything.

Awood-- sounds like a happening day!   Deep fried butter?  WTH?  LOL   well at least maple bacon funnel cake sounds delicious!  Great job on the miles!

Thursday my honey came home from his trip!  Yesterday, when I woke up I couldn't get myself going.  Felt sooo fatigued until like 3 in the afternoon.  Was really strange how tired I felt, so I didn't end up running.  Today I got in almost 10 miles.  It was really nice and cool even though i didn't run until after 10:00.  Even now it's not even 80*.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Thank you to everyone for the feedback!  I'm definitely doing to aim for the 10K for race #1, then I was thinking I could wait to register for race #2 until I see what I feel like after race #1.  It looks like it would just be $5 extra to register after the first race.  And of course I could go wild and crazy and just do the second one as part of a LR with some tempo miles or something.

I ran 6.5 today and felt great.  I was planning on stopping at 6, but just couldn't do it.

Mitch- So sorry that you're still dealing with this!  I hope that you find the silver bullet that helps you heal up.

Ginny- Sounds like you are making the right call to be rested before your LR.

Jerry- Glad to see you out there getting some running going.

D- Hope that your hubby gets back out there soon!

Coralie- That sounds really uncomfortable!  I hope that the vertigo passes.  Did you at least feel well for your vacation?

kristin- I bet you will be able to PR in a 5K this fall. Smile

Traci- I hate the sloshing, too.  The bottle doesn't bother me so much when it's full.  That's one of the reasons that even when I carry water, I don't let myself drink it before a certain point in the run.  It helps that if I'm drinking at all, it's usually because I'm taking a gel.  That way I drink most of it at once and an empty bottle isn't so sloshy.  Kinvara 3s are what I have, and I got mine on liquidation at running warehouse too. Smile

Awood- Nice run!  I can't believe that's your tempo pace these days, especially when you know you've got 13.1 total to run.  Sounds like a good day for fair food!  The deep fried butter does just sound awful.

Cheri- That was a good point about registration and one of the reasons that I realized I could wait on the second one.  Neither one should fill up, and no matter when I register, a shirt would be extra anyway.  Glad you took the rest when you needed it.  I bet that helped you to get in a good run today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Just read an article on the new Adidas Springblade, due out Aug. 1st.  They have 32 plastic blades that point back and spring you forward instead of straight up.  Says they don't violate any road race rules.  Might be a good shoe for Scotty !!!! Smile

tracilynn

They are butt ugly.  $180

So, Who will be the first to try them out and report back to us?Big grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I don't know if they make them for drunk overpronators, or I'd be all over it right now.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Bin Running

Mel, if its me. I would race the 1st for 5K to gauge my fitness. It's a shorter race so recovery should be faster. Race #2 as 10k and use that for HM pacing guide.

Ginny, outdoor. Too boring to be going 20 rounds. Haa

Awood, nice speed!

Traci, streak went for 24 days I think. Not intentional. I think you will like K3 too.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Sloooow.

Thanks for the shoe chat Big grin Went to check out shoes at Runningwarehouse, they have my Glycerins on liquidation @ $89, plus a 15% off coupon.