Beginners and Beyond

Going the Distance Grows Shorter For Some (Read 115 times)

happylily

Yeah I've thought the same thing if I were to do Detroit. To me the biggest sources of pre-race stress are parking & bathroom issues, because I figure the running part will take care of itself. This would at least eliminate one of those issues (and maybe having a hotel room helps with the other). Unfortunately for the big races, the hotel rooms get completely booked way in advance, so that would require an advance commitment, something I haven't quite been willing to do.

Pick a small race, like the Run for Heroes in Amherstburg, near Windsor Ontario. $89 a room and you can book a couple days before the race.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Pick a small race, like the Run for Heroes in Amherstburg, near Windsor Ontario. $89 a room and you can book a couple days before the race.

I know, I know, we've talked about that one...although it is so small I wouldn't expect parking on race morning to be too much of an issue.

That is on my list because it is so close, but I feel I've gotta do Detroit first. And they are only 4 weeks apart, which may be no problem for you but is a stretch for us mortals.

Dave

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

This is why we have 5K Marathons.

You people have issues 

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

This is why we have 5K Marathons.

LOL.

- Andrew

LRB

Yeah I've thought the same thing if I were to do Detroit. To me the biggest sources of pre-race stress are parking & bathroom issues, because I figure the running part will take care of itself. This would at least eliminate one of those issues (and maybe having a hotel room helps with the other). Unfortunately for the big races, the hotel rooms get completely booked way in advance, so that would require an advance commitment, something I haven't quite been willing to do.

Navigating Detroit race day morning is as simple as it gets.  There are three huge lots around the corner (a 10 minute walk) from the start line.  If you are in your space before 6:00 am you completely avoid the chaos.

The biggest mistake I see is people make is being unfamiliar with the area which can be extremely agitating.  So rather than going directly to Cobo to pick up your packet, drive from your home to the parking lot instead, so you know exactly where you are going and how.  Then, plan to be there before the streets close at 6:00 and you are in like Flynn.

I walked to the start line at 6:15, which was a bit too early.  Next time, I will go around 6:35 instead...if they close the corrals at 6:50 that is, as was the case in 2012.