Beginners and Beyond

Tromping Through Thursday Penguins (Read 42 times)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Rach, how do you like insanity?  It looks tough! Hence the name. Ha

The workout is challenging. I did it when I went through basic training, so I know it works! I just need to get back into the groove again! When I went through basic training, I lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks. 

Scotty -- This is Insanity. It is high a high intensity workout.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning! 3 pages already and on a smartphone so no personals. As for me, still have a gross cold but thankfully I don't think it is that dreaded flu. Mostly just runny nose and cough. I don't know what to do about my 10K Saturday. I know I'm not going to try to run it....this stupid awful ITBS business started December 28th and after that I have run a grand total of less than 3 miles, cumulatively, in 2 different runs that ended in my knee hurting for days and days after. I am considering walking it, but the 90 minute time limit will be rough. Do I eat the cost and DNS? Do I try to walk? Do I try to run? i don't know what to do.....

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jen16226

It is looking like I might swap my Saturday(5 miles) and Sunday(3 miles) runs around because Sunday is to be warmer.  OK, this has me curious now, Jen16226...what is going the be the temp difference between the two days?  Glad your son learned his lesson.  Wow, the REF actually told him that, not the coach?  I thought Refs were supposed to be impartial.

Scotty- Saturday will be in the low 20"s with wind, flurries and overcast.  Sunday will be in the mid-upper 30's and sunny.

Oh the coaches told him too, believe me.

DS3 is in 6th grade(hooray our last year with a child in elementary school!!!!!!!!!! But now next year we have 2 in college...what a swap!), so it's elementary school basketball with the same refs they have had for a few years now.  The refs get to know the kids and when he saw Garrett sitting and not playing, he went up and asked him why, so I think part of it was his saying that in hopes that he learned a lesson.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Philliefan33

. I am considering walking it, but the 90 minute time limit will be rough. Do I eat the cost and DNS? Do I try to walk? Do I try to run? i don't know what to do.....

I think it would be prudent to DNS...as sad as that is.  You haven't been running because you are injured, you are ill this week...sometimes circumstances conspire against you.  If you try to walk it, you are going to have to walk quickly to make the time cut-off.  That is likely to aggravate the injury, setting you back.  Then it will be even longer before you can get back to running.

Go pick up the race packet -- is there a shirt or anything just for signing up?  If you contact the RD ahead of time, maybe there's a place for you to volunteer.  You will still get to enjoy the atmosphere without hurting yourself.  And then make a promise o yourself that next year, you will be out there running and earn the finisher's swag!

Zelanie

Jack, you have to upload the picture somewhere like Photobucket and then link to it.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks, philliefan, voice of reason. I think you just told me what I already knew I should do but didn't want to come to terms with..... I'm just so sad because I was really looking forward to the race. But that's life I guess. *sigh*

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

From the Internet.

Scotty, yes I do run with cep sleeves but only since about 3 weeks ago. Sleep in them too. I love them.

Lauren, I wish I could do PT. it costs me about $175 per visit after ins and I can't afford that. :-(

pinegrove, my doc said shin splints can happen at anytime. It mostly affects beginners. I have been running almost 11 months.

Jack, yay on new shoes. I don't think you can add pics easily on iPhone or iPad.

Oh man, that's a lot of moolah. Check out Venomized's shin splint routine for sure (I think Damaris mentioned it yesterday).. It might be of limited value if you don't know for sure if/where you have weakness, but I'd be happy to type up some of the exercises I do and send them to you too. Hip strengthening is always a good thing for runners, and it'd be something to do while you rest Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

My  morning sucketh.  Hopefully things will get better.  Off to eat lunch!  Probably chorus rehearsal tonight, although the 2 inches of "light flurries" we got last night might interfere ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

That's exactly how I felt this morning, Scotty.  7 hours is too much sleep for me that I'm used to 5.

Rach, what the heck is an insanity workout?  Is your temp up there still cold enough to qualify as part of the Ice Age?  Hope you meet some other runners and if you do get brave enough to get out there, good luck and stay safe!

Good luck with your really really fast 2 miles, PG Dave.

Good luck with the 8 miles, Mitch.

8 miles on a track..that is a lot of patience, Bin!

Congrats on your dreadmill run, Vance.

Gustav, if you do every other day, if your running week starts Sunday (mine starts Monday) that will give you alternating weeks of running 4 days one week and 3 days the next week.  Not a bad plan, the 3-day running week can be your 'cut-back" week from the 4 running days a week, allow you to progress gradually until you are back up to 100% again.  That plan of yours was what I did for all the comebacks I had to do in my running life, after knee surgery, hernia surgery, etc.

Good luck to your little one, jneilt; is he looking forward to eating ice cream after the procedure?

Jerry, watching the Weather Channel last night...crazy weather in Chicago up there!  10 degrees this morning at 5 a.m.? Shocked  Sure you don't want to do a winter get-away and come visit San Antonio for a week or so? Joking   I noticed the weather folks did mention, though, Chicago was still on its 'no-snow yet' streak.

See, Lauren, that's why I only use the weight machines...I can't drop anything on myself, lol.   Hope your shin heals quickly!

Good luck with your miles and braving the cold, Margo.  Happy home make-over!

Yeah, too much sleep, Damaris.  I usually get about 6 hours.  I find that if I sleep more than that, it's like my body feels 'drugged' and I drag for a bit.  Guess it's all about what your system gets used to and when you go "outside" of that, it's like your body goes into withdrawals.  Since you're working at home, maybe you can get in a couple of quick power-naps during the day. Joking

Congrats on your run, Dave!  Good luck with your 15K this weekend!  BTW, no snow here either! Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I have them at home but never have time to do them.  If you like those, try Turbo Fire.  You'll dance and kickbox your way to great abs.

The workout is challenging. I did it when I went through basic training, so I know it works! I just need to get back into the groove again! When I went through basic training, I lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks. 

Scotty -- This is Insanity. It is high a high intensity workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Kristin - if you've only been able to do 3 miles in a month, you'd do best to not start.  Volunteering is a good way to be a part of the effort.  I wish I had done that last year on my HM.  I was too depressed at the time, but really kicked myself afterwards.  On that one I didn't decide to DNS until 1/2 hour before leaving for the race.  (I tried to jog down the street with the dog and the agony hit, hard.)

Traci - you still have a couple of months, so you might be okay for your race.  Just take it easy and try the exercises.  Shin splints don't necessarily take that long to heal, if you really rest.

Damaris - I'm the opposite.  If I don't get 8 hours, I'm tired all day.  One reason I don't do any running with our local club - they meet at 7:00 and I don't usually go to bed till 1 or 2:00.

Gustav - are you trying to stick to 10% increase per week?  If so, running four days might screw that up. OTOH, that's pretty much what I did - run every other day, with additional rest days when necessary.

Jack - I just ordered some new shoes too.  Amazon had 30% off on the Asics I like.  They were shipped last night.

Hopesmom - I hope your day gets better.

Jen - I would switch days.  I usually do my long runs when the weather/mood/etc. feels best.  I'd much rather spend more time outside on a nice day than a cold gray day.

AFM:  I'm heading for the TM as soon as lunch settles.  We had a little snow last night and the temp this morning on our walk was about 16 deg.  so slipping and sliding on the icy street doesn't really appeal.  It's supposed to warm up next week, so I'll get to play on the hills then.

From the Internet.

OH SNAP. Leg still feels pretty good after PT (minus the bruises), I'm now cleared to try running 2 laps/walking 1 lap for a total of 1 mile of running!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks Ginny. I already emailed about volunteering. what was your injury?

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!

OH SNAP. Leg still feels pretty good after PT (minus the bruises), I'm now cleared to try running 2 laps/walking 1 lap for a total of 1 mile of running!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

So in my meeting I learned, among other things, about MOOCs.  Massively open online courses.  Courses that are free and taught by faculty from big-name universities.  On all kinds of topics, though they lean toward math and sciences.  Now I'm curious to try one ... but how to decide which one??

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.