Beginners and Beyond

Should I Run a 5K or 10K Race 2 Weeks Prior to My 10k Goal Race? (Read 30 times)

I know everyone is unafraid to state their running opinion.  So the poll question is "Should I run a 5K race or 10K race two weeks prior to my goal 10K race (the Peachtree Road Race)"?  I like to run a race in the month of June as a fitness and speed barometer.  Originally, I had scheduled a 10K race for yesterday, but it was canceled in the last week.

I cannot run a race next Saturday because I committed about two months ago as a volunteer for the Braves Country 5K.  So that leaves a racing option two weeks prior to my goal race.  I would consider running the 5K race as a speed measurement since lately I've incorporated some track workouts.  I would run this race hard.  Likewise, I would consider running the 10K race as an endurance test for this distance.  Because I'm competitive within myself, I know that I would run it hard also.  The last option, is just run the prescribed workout for that Saturday.

Last year I ran a 10K about three weeks out with no adverse effect.  What do you guys vote?

Rich

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

LRB

For the sake of clarification, what would be your normal Saturday run?

Docket_Rocket

If the goal race is a 10K, I would do the 5K instead of the 10K if you want to race.  I think two weeks might. Be enough to recover and it would be a good gauge of where your speed is at.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

+1 for the 5k.  You can use it to gauge your fitness for the 10k and you'll recover quicker.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

For the sake of clarification, what would be your normal Saturday run?

6 miles plus 6 x100 strides according to a plan which I'm following.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

+1 for the 5k.  You can use it to gauge your fitness for the 10k and you'll recover quicker.

I agree with this. Race the 5k hard & use it to set your 10k goal time. Speaking as a guy with the impressive qualifications of just running my first ever 5k & 10k in the past 2 weeks (although in reverse order).

Dave

MothAudio

5k does not prepare you for the rigors of a 10k. You need to feel the pain of the last two miles of a 10k to ever run it well. Back in 2010 I used a trio of 10ks as my only tune up races for my marathon. Why? Because the 10k is the most stressfull distance for me. I figured if I could handle that hell the end game of the marathon would seem more tolorable. After two rather sub-par 10ks I ended up setting my grand master PB in the 3rd race.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Walk-Jogger

I agree with Moth; I'd do the 10K. Two weeks should be plenty of time to recover, unless you know yourself well and know differently. You need to experience the second half of the 10K distance while pushing your pace a few times, to do it well.

Retired &  Loving It

I respect Cecil59 and MothAudio sage running advice, however, I registered for a 5k  to gauge my speed.  Since the race I found is at a local county park surrounding a lake, I know the course from a previous race two years put on by  another organization.  This course is not an easy 5k , Quite a few turns on a paved path with some hills thrown in.  I'll plug the 5K race time into the McMillan Running calculator to ballpark my 10K finishing time.

I'll let you guys and gals know the results in a few weeks.

on my way to badass

I voted for 5K. I did 2 10Ks 2 weeks apart. It didn't work for me. I am, however, not the fittest runner out there. I think a 5K gives you a good indication of pace and some confidence.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28