Beginners and Beyond

Cyber Monday Penguins love to shop online! (Read 340 times)

Docket_Rocket

It's been a few weeks since I posted that my promotion was approved.  So, this morning I checked my bank account to do some payments and bam!  My promotion was effective yesterday.  It is good to see I can buy more running clothes.Wink

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Congrats, Damaris!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

D - Congrats. I havent had a raise in 3 years. Sad

BTW- Why am I not smart enough to be able to add a picture. help please

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Wow, almost the whole gang is here.  I sent a message to Kara on Facebook and she does know we are all here.  I haven't seen or heard from Scotty though. 

Jerry, I'm loving my crazy socks.  Today is a tights day though. 

Today's lunch is a salad (field greens, romaine lettuce, red onions, carrots, feta, black olives, celery) with pulled chicken and some vegetarian stuffed pepper soup (homemade of course).  Mmmm but my lunch time is almost over.

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I haven't figured out pictures or the running log.  Don't feel bad.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

HopesMom, I'd love to share my coffee with you, if you were in AZ, and I hadn't just poured the last cup.

Damaris, that's wonderful!  Congratulations!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

steph- that sounds good. I have my regular (peanut butter samich, apple, banana). 

and I am not an idiot. I added a picture Big grin

Tomas

A-wood- For a picture - Top right click options. then click on forum preferences.

Tomas

Singer who runs a smidge

Don't forget, Scottydog went with Gail up to Wenatchee WA to visit his in-laws for Thanksgiving.  There's no telling how the flights were getting back, or whether he got buried with work as soon as he walked in the door.

Also, as he's one of the longest-running posters on RWOL, he may not want to leave.  Hopefully he'll at least consider a dual citizenship ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Me either.  And our pay is frozen, remember?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I have an avatar.  YAY!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Dad on the run.

Jack - From the pictures I just looked at that is where my knee is hurting. I really hope that this isn't the beginning of something worse :/ I am going to start stretching it and look into getting a foam roller as soon as we get paid. I have a HM in Feb and really don't want to have to cancel it because of an injury. However its hurting even now as I sit here and type this. I hope to God its not something major, I think I am going to swap shoes though as I haven't liked the Brooks since the first time I ran in them, I just didn't want to plop down another 80 bucks on a pair of shoes... so annoyed right now.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

JBJ: If it is your ITB, start stretching it now. A roller won't hurt, it helps to keep it loose. You should also take some extra rest days. If you have a bike, use it. I know it is annoying. When mine first flared up, my wife got tired of me moping around. Believe me, I know how frustrated and annoyed  you feel!  If you take care of it, you should be fine for your HM.  It is a setback, not the end.  I took about ten days off and am now running again, slowly.  If you have to run, take it easy. Don't go out for a PR every time. Remember, they are called "easy runs" for a reason.

From the Internet.

Jack - From the pictures I just looked at that is where my knee is hurting. I really hope that this isn't the beginning of something worse :/ I am going to start stretching it and look into getting a foam roller as soon as we get paid. I have a HM in Feb and really don't want to have to cancel it because of an injury. However its hurting even now as I sit here and type this. I hope to God its not something major, I think I am going to swap shoes though as I haven't liked the Brooks since the first time I ran in them, I just didn't want to plop down another 80 bucks on a pair of shoes... so annoyed right now.

It's very, very manageable if you caught it early. Definitely get a foam roller, start stretching, add in some strength work if you aren't doing anything specific yet. Squats and deadlifts 2-3x a week have strengthened the muscles around my ITB to the point that it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I'm weak enough that I can do my workouts at home with dumbbells, but if you don't have access to equipment or a gym I'm sure there are other strengthening exercises that you can do at home.

Dad on the run.

Jack - I know, but why does it have to act up when I actually have a goal to accomplish :/ I told my wife about it and that I might just cancle the half because I didn't want to spend the money for the foam roller and seeing if going back with the shoes I previously had would help any. She told me not to be stupid, get what I needed and run the HM, gotta to love my wife's "to the point" attitude. Thinking back to my run Sunday though. It was the first time I did 7 miles. First time for me to clock over 20 miles in a week. Plus the first 4 miles I ran was with the stroller and I got tired of running behind it so I would hold it with left hand and run beside it which caused my legs to kinda bend in a little bit while running. Oh, and its my left leg, not my right, not sure what I was thinking... I will take it slow though. I am going to do some stretching while I'm at work tonight and maybe just grab an easy 3 tomorrow and wear my real flex instead of my brooks and see how that feels.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.